Bang & Olufsen v's Audi Sound System

hittchy

Reaction score
Currently speccing up an A3 S-Line to order and can't decide on which audio option to go for. I had an A3 Sport on test from the dealer which apparently had the standard system. It was a little disappointing compared with the sound system in my A4.

The demo A3 had a sub in the spare wheel but it wasn't branded B&O. I questioned the salesman but he was adamant that it wasn't upgraded.

Can anyone confirm if their standard system has the sub in the wheel well?

Also interested to know if anyone went for the audi sound system for £255 and how it compares?

The B&O in the showroom sounded great but £750 is a big hit.

I'm pretty sure the standard sound system doesn't include a sub so it sounds like maybe it had the Audi sound system upgrade in it.

I don't know how the Audi sound system compares to the B&O because I've never heard it but I do know the B&O is awesome :)

Cheers.

The showroom car sounded awesome.... just giving myself a hard time justifying the expense!

If the standard system doesn't have a sub and I was listening to the mid-range option, it'll be a far easier decision.

Hittchy,

I have ordered the Audi sound system with DAB and the Tech Pack , my company would not let me stretch to the B&O system .

However , I would do some digging at the dealer with regard to the standard radio . Both the Audi sound system & the B&O system do not upgrade the radio . The radio on the tech pack is a triple tuner unit with phase diversity but I am not sure what the standard radio is. I have therefore gone for the best radio and medium sound system - just wonder if the B&O system might be wasted on the standard radio

Would be interesting to know what the standard spec radio is thou

Chester

Just my opinion, but I dnt think that b&o is worth it coz I sat in an a3 recently and had a listen to it, nothing special , unless we getting a banged up and olufsen version in south Africa, I would personally take that extra money and put in two custom rockford splits and and 8inch rf sub , just a thought, would sound much better.

I was surprised at how weak it was because I've heard a b&o in a s8 and that was a totally different sound, guess the a3 can't get same STD As a s8

I think the head unit is the same on all three unless you get DAB or the tech pack.

After listening to the Bang and Olufsen system, I think I'm sold. It's the one option I regretted missing out on my current car, although the sound pack on the A4 was £600 for B&O and DAB combined.... far more palatable.

Just my opinion, but I dnt think that b&o is worth it coz I sat in an a3 recently and had a listen to it, nothing special , unless we getting a banged up and olufsen version in south Africa, I would personally take that extra money and put in two custom rockford splits and and 8inch rf sub , just a thought, would sound much better.

I was surprised at how weak it was because I've heard a b&o in a s8 and that was a totally different sound, guess the a3 can't get same STD As a s8

True.... The A8 B&O runs to about £8k IIRC.

I demo'd an A3 with the Audi sound system. That had a sub woofer in the boot in the spare wheel well and sounded good.

Not heard the B&O system but the Audi upgrade is what I have ordered!

I have seen a comment somewhere which indicated that the Audi sound system is unbranded Bose, not able to confirm that though!

Reactions: Dazs87

And completely void the warranty on your brand new car.

The radio on the tech pack is a triple tuner unit with phase diversity but I am not sure what the standard radio is. I have therefore gone for the best radio and medium sound system - just wonder if the B&O system might be wasted on the standard radio

i thought I was reasonably up with tech but I have absolutely no idea what a triple tuner with phase diversity is, or does :)

The standard setup doesn't include sub

audi system has a sub and a speaker in the dash and amp

the bang and olufsen has extra speakers, amp, sub and lights around the speaker surrounds in the front doors. Also has branding around the speakers. Think vertigo has photos somewhere

Hope that helps

:)

i thought I was reasonably up with tech but I have absolutely no idea what a triple tuner with phase diversity is, or does :)

I'm fairly sure the standard radio has 2 tuners so basically your listening to one and the other is scanning for channels so you should always have a good reception.

I'd imagine the 3rd tuner would likely be for the TMC data for the satnav.

No idea what phase diversity is though, sounds made up marketing crap :think:

A normal analogue radio will be limited by whatever signal is coming in anyway so will never make the most of any of the upgraded stereos.

I think phase diversity is just using multiple tuners/aerials to compare the same station from multiple transmitter sources and reduce things like ghosting effects etc. But I could be totally wrong :p

The standard setup doesn't include sub

audi system has a sub and a speaker in the dash and amp

the bang and olufsen has extra speakers, amp, sub and lights around the speaker surrounds in the front doors. Also has branding around the speakers. Think vertigo has photos somewhere

Hope that helps

:)

That's great - thanks.

Salesman obviously didn't know his products as his demo car must have had Audi Sound System.

B&O it is then.

B&O also does 5.1 surround with DVDs that have it (both Dolby & DTS). A bit of a gimmick maybe but I have a DTS/Dolby/THX demo DVD in there which is great fun for showing off the system - literally shakes the seats :)

I'm having an intermittent issue with my B&O system... randomly after having the volume at about 30 and bringing it down to about 20, the volume keeps fluctuating going loud and quiet. There is no indication on the volume bar that it is doing so as well.

Any Ideas?

Is it related to your driving speed? If so, check the GALA settings in the audio menu and turn the sensitivity down a bit.

Thanks - I was wondering what the GALA Setting was!

I had B&O in my old A4 avant, and it was truly superb. My old man has Bose in his 991 and it's poor in comparison to the A3 b&o I demo'd. I'm also a DJ so pretty fussy about my sound, B&O all the way for me.

Reactions: Helifella
Pretty impressed with the *** in my S3. More than enough punch for me. Enough bass to make the mirrors shake, and i dont have the sub maxxed out.

But to be honest i do turn the music off and listen to the engine most of the time.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, pauly69 and Blackwhite
I found the *** perfectly adequate for me but might be case of not knowing what I'm missing ;)

Reactions: OliJ
Pretty impressed with the *** in my S3. More than enough punch for me. Enough bass to make the mirrors shake, and i dont have the sub maxxed out.

But to be honest i do turn the music off and listen to the engine most of the time.

I do the same! :meeting:

Reactions: OliJ

The same here when our S3 arrives :thumbs up:

Only spec'ed *** as it was the same sound system that was in my B8 A4 s-line & didn't want to necessarily downgrade

Personally, I think Audi are penny pinching putting a ***** sound system in the top of the range models :(

BeoPlay-A9-meme.png

Reactions: Blackwhite and illingworth22
B&O also does 5.1 surround with DVDs that have it (both Dolby & DTS). A bit of a gimmick maybe but I have a DTS/Dolby/THX demo DVD in there which is great fun for showing off the system - literally shakes the seats :)
Where did you get the DVD?

I've found that my B&O system doesn't really come alive until the volume goes up to about 18+ then the sound is amazing. i'm well happy i specced it but i didn't get the chance to see or hear the Audi version to compare.

I have the B&O, its good, but not great. In my opinion the Audi Sound System gives much better value for money.

Reactions: glospete and Martinbanshee
The equivalent sound system in my old A4 (same spec as the ***) was certainly up to the job IMHO :thumbs up:

I think B&O are the Beats by Dre in the Audi world.... lol (overrated)

Reactions: kanecullen89 and veeeight
I've got the Audi soundsystem (sub in the spare wheel) and I really like it, don't see the need to spend money on the B&O system.

Just wish I had the small light-strip on the speakers like with the B&O

To each their own. The B&O is the option at the top of my extras list when I come to renew. My friend has an A3 with the *** and I just find it a bit lacking in comparison. (However, If I had never heard the B&O I would be quite satisfied with the ***).

My B&O is still crackling. Audi have released a TPI saying they're looking for a fix and not to do any further diagnostics but that was months ago. I would certainly not recommend B&O.

Still crackling on mine too, but its sufficiently better than it was. I would still recommend it, but definitely suggest you try before you buy.

I love the B&O system, makes the long journeys from suffolk to manchester more bearable. Not had any problems with it (so far)