Bang & Olufsen or Audi Sound System

I could easily live without the B&O but hey ho got it,l don't listen to much music,but l do have a good ear for quality sound,being a home cinema buff, ln lsolation £750 or whatever it cost for the bang&olufsen ain't that expensive, it's only expensive when you want other options alongside it
And buying renting a Audi ain't cheap full stop

Reactions: Simon L and Tej13
I could easily live without the B&O but hey ho got it,l don't listen to much music,but l do have a good ear for quality sound,being a home cinema buff, ln lsolation £750 or whatever it cost for the bang&olufsen ain't that expensive, it's only expensive when you want other options alongside it
And buying renting a Audi ain't cheap full stop
I listen to a fair amount of music myself and the majority of it is film soundtrack type stuff (i.e. Batman, Gladiator etc), which is quite heavy and instrumental. This is where the B&O makes all the difference as it sounds immense (IMO), particularly when you're driving along at night as it's as if I was back at the cinema. :) Yes I could live with out it if needed but after having it I wouldn't want to.

I agree that in itself it's not too expensive, certainly when you look at a lot of these home systems and sound bars. e,g Bose or Sonos etc.

The sound system was an important option for me as I'd also considered the LED headlights, but couldn't stretch for both (so glad I stuck with the Xenons and made the sound system a higher priority). After reading this forum it looks like the LEDs aren't highly rated anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
I listen to a fair amount of music myself and the majority of it is film soundtrack type stuff (i.e. Batman, Gladiator etc), which is quite heavy and instrumental. This is where the B&O makes all the difference as it sounds immense (IMO), particularly when you're driving along at night as it's as if I was back at the cinema. :) Yes I could live with out it if needed but after having it I wouldn't want to.

I agree that in itself it's not too expensive, certainly when you look at a lot of these home systems and sound bars. e,g Bose or Sonos etc.

The sound system was an important option for me as I'd also considered the LED headlights, but couldn't stretch for both (so glad I stuck with the Xenons and made the sound system a higher priority). After reading this forum it looks like the LEDs aren't highly rated anyway.

You are a man of impeccable taste if I may say so.

That Gladiator sountrack has to be one of the best in movie history, just superb and I bet it does sound great on the B&O although I haven't tried it personally. I certainly agree with as regards B&O v LED lights, which interestingly comes up on the forum quite a bit. The general concensus is the LED's add very little, apart from aesthetics, the B&O for music lovers is in my opinion a total must.

Only thing I would disagree over is your earlier comment regarding testing the B&O in the dealers showroom. I beleive it should be absolutely imperative to play Hells Bells (AC/DC) at volumes in excess of 25!!

Now if anyone remains disatisfied with the layout, pronunciation, paragraphs, spelling or anything else with my post above they can kiss my shiny butt......................!!

Reactions: lucas-suisse, Audi Ultron, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Re the LEDs, I had bi-xenons on my Golf R. What I like about the LEDs is the faster start time, configurable pattern and warmer light. Agree they look better as well. Came with the Performance Pack and glad to have them and the B&O system :)

Reactions: Simon L and Audi Ultron
You are a man of impeccable taste if I may say so.

That Gladiator sountrack has to be one of the best in movie history, just superb and I bet it does sound great on the B&O although I haven't tried it personally. I certainly agree with as regards B&O v LED lights, which interestingly comes up on the forum quite a bit. The general concensus is the LED's add very little, apart from aesthetics, the B&O for music lovers is in my opinion a total must.

Only thing I would disagree over is your earlier comment regarding testing the B&O in the dealers showroom. I beleive it should be absolutely imperative to play Hells Bells (AC/DC) at volumes in excess of 25!!
Well thank-you, you are too kind. I will refrain from mentioning some of my 'other stuff' as your view might change rapidly!
The Iron Man soundtracks are another favourite: "Driving With The Top Down", I just imagine I'm driving an R8 (wishful thinking I admit).

If there weren't many people about then don't worry I'd be cranking the B&O up... Taking a look at the new A4 next week so we'll see.

With the LEDs I came to the conclusion (after ready comments here) that it was aesthetics more than anything, but each to their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Simon L
I find the B&O absolutely brilliant. I'm very picky with my sound-systems/earphones and the like and I just feel that once you've played around with the settings, it will blow you away. I still haven't had the volume higher than 30 as I'm way too nervous about doing something to the speakers :D

Reactions: ash-s3-8p and Simon L
Well thank-you, you are too kind. I will refrain from mentioning some of my 'other stuff' as your view might change rapidly!
The Iron Man soundtracks are another favourite: "Driving With The Top Down", I just imagine I'm driving an R8 (wishful thinking I admit).

If there weren't many people about then don't worry I'd be cranking the B&O up... Taking a look at the new A4 next week so we'll see.

With the LEDs I came to the conclusion (after ready comments here) that it was aesthetics more than anything, but each to their own.

A thumbs up from me too :)
OST's are what I also play mostly too and like all the ones you have mentioned.
Jerry G, Hans Z, & Brian Tyler are my fave composers ... and you are right, they do sound great through B&O.

Reactions: Simon L
I find the B&O absolutely brilliant. I'm very picky with my sound-systems/earphones and the like and I just feel that once you've played around with the settings, it will blow you away. I still haven't had the volume higher than 30 as I'm way too nervous about doing something to the speakers :D

With your young ears I reckon you should keep it below 20 personally! I'm a bit mutton courtesy of some outrageously loud gigs in me younger days (well I still go to loads but they have much stricter decibel restrictions than they used to!) but even I rarely go more than 20 :)

A thumbs up from me too :)
OST's are what I also play mostly too and like all the ones you have mentioned.
Jerry G, Hans Z, & Brian Tyler are my fave composers ... and you are right, they do sound great through B&O.

You've not mentioned John Williams and James Horner both amazing Moovie soundtrack composers and my favourites but think Horner just edges it for me....yeah the B&0 doe's come to life with Dolby/DTS encoded surround sound track's for a car that is,would love to hear the B&O in the RS6 should sound out of this world

Reactions: Simon L and Snake Pliskin
Puzzled as to why you would describe LED as warmer. As supplied by OE, the 8V LED is cooler (6000K) compared to the Xenon (4500/5000K). And they are not as bright as Xenons.

But if you prefer the LED lamps, that's all fine and dandy ;)

Pics in this thread:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/xenon-versus-led-headlight-option.219188/page-4#post-2371354

Most Audis are going LED now...The new Q3,A4,TT,A6,Q7,...6000K has some nice colour tones to it...with a slight tiinge of Violet,but Matrix all the way for me until..this Headlight Technology evolves

You've not mentioned John Williams and James Horner both amazing Moovie soundtrack composers and my favourites but think Horner just edges it for me....yeah the B&0 doe's come to life with Dolby/DTS encoded surround sound track's for a car that is,would love to hear the B&O in the RS6 should sound out of this world

ha ha ... I limited it to just 3 as was going to inclede James Horner / John Williams / Alan Silvestri / Mark Mancina / even John Carpenter :)

Horner produced some sublime scores though totally agree.

Reactions: Jassyo06
+1 on the Epic soundtrack listening !! Hans Zimmer is my favourite ..........and I must say there have been moments at night when driving along with the Dark Knight score playing that I think ....... " I AM BATMAN" :sunglasses:

Interstellar is another amazing score...

As is:

Gravity
Black Hawk Down
Sunshine
Cast Away
The Thin Red Line

:musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes::musicnotes:

I have B&O and would 100% spec it on every Audi I buy from now on (If available)....it really is an awesome setup :heart:

Reactions: Ozmosis, Audi Ultron, Jassyo06 and 2 others
James Newton Howard!! :)

.....oh and definitely Ennio Morricone

Reactions: Audi Ultron and Snake Pliskin
ok even ..... Steve Jablonsky

Reactions: Audi Ultron and Simon L
James Newton Howard!! :)

.....oh and definitely Ennio Morricone
Jambo Newton Howard...didnt he compose all M Night Shalamar.....lol moovies...like "I see dead Peeps..." as for Spagetti werstern Mascaponi...before my time...ya old codger...:haha::whip::rock:

I have B&O sound system in my S4 which comes standard as part of the Black Edition pack, which I have

I have the same 14 speaker system as you A3/S3 guys but I'm a bit down on brochure quoted wattage
A3/S3 - 705w
A4/S4 - 505w

& I don't get the fancy front speaker lighting either

BUT I didn't have to pay £750 for the luxury :p

My point? Having always had minimum Audi sound system I will always have the B&O in any further Audi's I may purchase in the future

The difference for this old dawg is quite noticeably better

These 2 song always sound good in my rockin' S4 :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

&

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jambo Newton Howard...didnt he compose all M Night Shalamar.....lol moovies...like "I see dead Peeps..." as for Spagetti werstern Mascaponi...before my time...ya old codger...:haha::whip::rock:

Aye Jimbo definitely 'I see dead peeps', not a bad film that one...........Mascaponi did do a few old westerns, but not before your time old chap.........best of all though he composed the soundtrack for The Thing......cracking stuff, one of me fav horrors :):yahoo::blahblah1::whistle2::sex:

Reactions: Jassyo06
I have B&O sound system in my S4 which comes standard as part of the Black Edition pack, which I have

I have the same 14 speaker system as you A3/S3 guys but I'm a bit down on brochure quoted wattage
A3/S3 - 705w
A4/S4 - 505w

My point? Having always had minimum Audi sound system I will always have the B&O in any further Audi's I may purchase in the future

&

.....dirdy ol dawg!! lol

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
Aye Jimbo definitely 'I see dead peeps', not a bad film that one...........Mascaponi did do a few old westerns, but not before your time old chap.........best of all though he composed the soundtrack for The Thing......cracking stuff, one of me fav horrors :):yahoo::blahblah1::whistle2::sex:

Kurt Russell at his best mate.....the Electronic Keyboard years

A3/S3 - 705w
A4/S4 - 505w

&

I have heard the Bang & Olufsen in the black Ed Plus in the A5...So it must be...the same in the A4/S4...and to be honest it sounded better in A5....Speaker wise they probably are the same wattage,its the sub that's larger in the A3/S3

Reactions: Audi Ultron and Bristle Hound
The Thing is a superb film !!!!!

and the OST is awesome too :)

Kurt is a legend !

Reactions: Simon L, Audi Ultron and Jassyo06
The A5 was one of the cars which I sat in to try out the B&O when I was ordering my car, the A3 I test drove had the *** fitted.

The loudest I've had the B&O so far in my A3 is around the 30 mark, I thought stuff was only supposed to go up-to 11? :highly amused:

In terms of epic soundtrack stuff, another composer I'd recommend is Thomas Bergersen and his 'Illusions' & 'Sun' albums.
One of the best tracks from 'Sun' is 'Final Frontier' which was used on the Interstellar film trailer.

I love anything to do with space and I play this very loud on the B&O. :)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Bristle Hound and Simon L
The A5 was one of the cars which I sat in to try out the B&O when I was ordering my car, the A3 I test drove had the *** fitted.

The loudest I've had the B&O so far in my A3 is around the 30 mark, I thought stuff was only supposed to go up-to 11? :highly amused:

In terms of epic soundtrack stuff, another composer I'd recommend is Thomas Bergersen and his 'Illusions' & 'Sun' albums.
One of the best tracks from 'Sun' is 'Final Frontier' which was used on the Interstellar film trailer.

Ohhh, that's very nice indeed :)

Reactions: Audi Ultron and Jassyo06
The Thing is a superb film !!!!!

and the OST is awesome too :)

Kurt is a legend !
Apart from the most successful Horner soundtrack??? I think the music from Braveheart and Aliens are my faves the soundtrack from Aliens is still used on film trailers today, fave Williams tracks are Schindlers List,Private Ryan,E.T...LOL

Reactions: Audi Ultron, Simon L and Snake Pliskin

Maybe l should give this music a try "Gravity"has a amazing soundtrack got the Bluray and through my THX receiver speaker system it sounds awesome Interstellar was also great but....not as gripping

Reactions: Audi Ultron, Simon L and David83S3

Gonna download this - cheers :thumbs up:
PS - Just downloading the Sun album in FLAC as we speak

Reactions: Audi Ultron, Simon L, David83S3 and 1 other person
You need interior light pack too.. with B&O speakers lit up and ILP the interior is way nicer.

Reactions: Audi Ultron, Simon L and David83S3
We seem to have found another common like other than our A3/S3's !!! Film scores !!! Who'd have thought lol

Must be an Audi thing

Reactions: Ozmosis, Audi Ultron, Simon L and 1 other person
Apart from the most successful Horner soundtrack??? I think the music from Braveheart and Aliens are my faves the soundtrack from Aliens is still used on film trailers today, fave Williams tracks are Schindlers List,Private Ryan,E.T...LOL

ALIENS is frickin awesome !!!!

Combat Drop
Futile Escape
Bishops Countdown

All tracks I regularly still play.

And don't forget the equally great COMMANDO !

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Ultron and Simon L
Roy Budd ..... Final Option anyone ? :sunglasses:

Reactions: Audi Ultron and Simon L
......just realised we left Vangelis out........................utterly shameful!!

Blade Runner and 1492 both superb soundtracks..............and Mutiny on the Bounty :)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin and Audi Ultron
I see the great John Williams has been mentioned, well apart from Star Wars we mustn't forget this masterpiece....

Not to mention this from a certain 80s film, this is one you have REALLY loud! :yahoo:

Back to the B&O, I agree with RGBARGEE on the ILP as it's amazing what a difference a bit of light makes. I noted in one of the other threads about the fact that the rear speakers are not illuminated. I think this is a good thing myself as whilst thy might look flash illuminated I reckon they could be a tad distracting. Still, it'd be one of those things I'd have to see in the flesh though.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Simon L
I see the great John Williams has been mentioned, well apart from Star Wars we mustn't forget this masterpiece....

Not to mention this from a certain 80s film, this is one you have REALLY loud! :yahoo:

Back to the B&O, I agree with RGBARGEE on the ILP as it's amazing what a difference a bit of light makes. I noted in one of the other threads about the fact that the rear speakers are not illuminated. I think this is a good thing myself as whilst thy might look flash illuminated I reckon they could be a tad distracting. Still, it'd be one of those things I'd have to see in the flesh though.

Awesome stuff, John Williams has to rank one of the greatest soundtrack composers.................so many others we could mention too :)

Love playing along to the Top Gun theme on my guitar............. ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Ultron and Snake Pliskin
Standard or Bang & Olufsen. Really?
Not sure how it differs in the smaller A3 but the A4 owners would agree it will always be at the top of the options list. Phenomenal sound...

Reactions: Simon L and Jassyo06
Standard or Bang & Olufsen. Really?
Not sure how it differs in the smaller A3 but the A4 owners would agree it will always be at the top of the options list. Phenomenal sound...

I prefer it over the *** but I wouldn't call the unit in the S3 "phenomenal".

Sound staging isn't the best, bass is a little muddy but it is good given it came with the Performance Pack we optioned.

Have done the test tone a dozen times now from the HD, both SDs, no crackle. I even got the neighbours son to have a listen after explaining the issue he should hear (better ears perhaps) and he said no crackling.

Either the late AU units have been sorted or I'm 'not holding it right' :)

Definitely not holding it right :)

It's more apparent with Bluetooth streaming, and where your source has a sample rate of 44.1 as opposed to 48kHz.

Yes, agree with the statement about Bluetooth streaming. A car isn't the correct place to be listening either, if you like quality music and listening environments.

However it is the source that's most susceptible to the fault in the B&O amp, hence why I've mentioned it.