Bang & Olufsen lighting

K4RL

Reaction score
Hi all
Search function not working for me, so sorry if this question been answered already.
I have B&O & the ILP my query is are the rear speakers meant to light up? Only the fronts light up in mine, the rears have a white strip same as the fronts but these don't light up.

Thanks in advance
Karl

That's right - only fronts light up.

Reactions: pburv and David83S3
Yeah only front on my B&O. Think it would be off putting having the rears light up in the back.

Had a quick looksee when I was out...only the fronts

I think Audi should av knocked a few quid off missing the rears oot?lol seriously though bit of penny pinching l think,also the lights should be a bit brighter as they are on the bose system in the A1/S1

Reactions: pburv
I think Audi should av knocked a few quid off missing the rears oot?lol seriously though bit of penny pinching l think,also the lights should be a bit brighter as they are on the bose system in the A1/S1

Can you turn the brightness up the MMI Jassy ? Mine has door brightness and a master brightness.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
you right about penny pinching.

They cut back on the B&O (Although I cared more for the pop-up tweeters than the small illumination speaker lights)
They cut back on the Driver Information System LCD. (look at that gear cluster on the A3 Concept then look at the DIS on the Chrysler 200c)
They cut back on the Exhaust tips, (look at the Exhaust tips on the A3 Concept & then look at the tips on the Chrysler 200c, Ford Fusion, Buick Lacrosse, Mercedes CLA 250)
They cut back on the sleek styling door frames, (look at the A3 Concept & then look at the Mercedes CLA 250)

42.png

In the end the jokes on us early buyers if the refresh models are going to have a 12" LCD DIS, probably the exhaust tips the A3 Concept had and it would be ****** up if the Refresh A3 gets frameless doors like the Concept.

Reactions: BodegaBay, pburv and Eliot Ness
Can you turn the brightness up the MMI Jassy ? Mine has door brightness and a master brightness.
Don't think so mate will try but have never seen this sub menu in my car l don't have the interior light package remember

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
...... l don't have the interior light package remember

Oh you crack me up Jassy..... next you gonna say you don't have Mono.pur :sign wow:

Who would even utter those words in a public Audi forum :s3addict:

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Don't think so mate will try but have never seen this sub menu in my car l don't have the interior light package remember

Ah gotcha worth a look anyway.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Ah gotcha worth a look anyway.
Trying it out right now mate
Just got background lighting in mmi and it's set to maximum it does dim the bang & olufsen but not bright

Last edited:
Oh you crack me up Jassy..... next you gonna say you don't have Mono.pur :sign wow:

Who would even utter those words in a public Audi forum :s3addict:

Lol ain't got that either, throw me a frickin bone,l didn't spec the thing lol

Reactions: pburv, xBox, Simon L and 1 other person
So ...... after a little research it looks like this could easily be added to the rears as a retro fit I'll post pics later but the rear door trim moulding has the channel for the light pipe moulded into it and the retaining features for the LED unit. Would then also need the matching harness connector and the pin configuration assuming the rear door module has the spare pin outs ?? I don't mind being a gineau pig for this if someone can help out with the module pin numbers and connector part number used in the front door.

Reactions: BodegaBay, pburv, Simon L and 1 other person
So ...... after a little research it looks like this could easily be added to the rears as a retro fit I'll post pics later but the rear door trim moulding has the channel for the light pipe moulded into it and the retaining features for the LED unit. Would then also need the matching harness connector and the pin configuration assuming the rear door module has the spare pin outs ?? I don't mind being a gineau pig for this if someone can help out with the module pin numbers and connector part number used in the front door.

You got too much time on yer hands and far too much money Robbo..................I'm expecting a big xmas pressie off you this year!! ;)

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
How did that get past the swear filter?

.....hang on I'll check...................... ****

edit ..............nope wouldn't let me!! lol

You got too much time on yer hands and far too much money Robbo..................I'm expecting a big xmas pressie off you this year!! ;)

Lol I wish - I'm always up for a techie challenge tho.

Yep get the mistletoe ready as well ;o)

Reactions: pburv and Simon L

Let us know how you get on its definitely something they've skimped on>

Reactions: Rob2k68
OK here we go......this is what I know so far and why I believe this should be pretty straight forward. Please don't take part numbers as gospel and double check before ordering in case there are any market specific alternatives. For electrical feeds I'm looking for some other suggestions but in the first instance it should be easy to tap into the electric window switch illumination although I'm not sure how/if this illumination is adjusted as I've never sat in the back. If it is on the same circuit as the front door speaker grilles then happy days ......

Front door trim :-
k3y8P1Zd

Close up showing light pipe groove :-
hKm1Zj0U

Moulded in retention feature for LED light :-
axvcRGbs

LED installed :-
zKyqcNft

Front B&O grille :-
TAj7KSTZ

Grille fitted to door trim by heat staking (moulded ribs are melted) :-
D1kmigxB

The LED unit :-
6VcrC3jD

And with light pipe attached (not sure if this comes with the LED or if it's an additional part) :-
FkrQJEDa

Door harness side LED connector :-
LZgJyVuD

Rear door trim moulding has the same groove for a light pipe :-
91CsehMK

And what looks like the same retention feature for the LED unit :-
v4Fi32tg

Finally the rear speaker showing that it has the same lens as the fronts :-
ZdJn1Dfy

Reactions: Ghost, Satory and pburv
Rear lighting installed :-

Part numbers needed :-
LED module - V8V0 947 356
Harness connector - S8W0 971832
Fibre optic light guide - supplied as complete door trim assembly. I had to improvise from eBay - make sure it's side emitting light and not just end. Diameter 2-2.5mm, length 265mm.
You also need 4 repair wires.

Power wise I cheated a little as I have the ILP and tapped into the interior handle ambient light power supply.

Reactions: Turbo Tony, BodegaBay, OzA3 and 10 others
That is a monumental amout of effort for such a small change. I salute you sir, but I shan't be following in your footsteps*. :salute:

* 'cos I've ordered a 3 door...

Reactions: DJAlix, richinsoton, batch and 4 others
GREAT post! I will get to that also. It's too bad you can't get only the harness, led module and fiber optic light guide. :/

Reactions: Simon L, Rob2k68 and pburv
Nice one Rob ..All we need now is some night time moody pics..lol

Reactions: Lavalamp, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
That is a monumental amout of effort for such a small change. I salute you sir, but I shan't be following in your footsteps*. :salute:

* 'cos I've ordered a 3 door...
Agreed mate Rob has an insatiable talent for improvement....he's going semi pro Audi tech next week lol

Reactions: Lavalamp, Simon L, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
He's a genius our Rob but yes I'm with GSB....................got the prerequisite number of doors but could I really be ***** with all that work for a couple of lights that unless I can do a 360 head twist akin to the female lead in The Exorcist I'm never gonna see!! lol

Reactions: Swanny356, pburv, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Wow great job Rob, gets on my nerves too, Audi being tightwads it is, just like Eazy-E Gamegenie CTP OG from South Central Othersizzle states, they even save on painting the parking sensors if you buy a black beast, my previous A1 had them painted.
I really appreciate people on here having the guts to do this kind of work, i have two left hands so won't be trying this myself but i might find someone who is willing to help.

Cheers

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Cheers guys ;o)

I'm an engineer by trade and naturally enquisitive lol. Anyone thinking about attempting this you're looking at £20 and one hour per side. I used two repair wires cut in half to give me the four connector pins and then had to lengthen the cable and soldered all joints. If you're using the original length repair wire and scotch-locks to tap into the wiring then that should reduce the time to 45 minutes ish. This is how my wiring looks :-

Reactions: dp_motley, Ghost, jungle650 and 4 others
Awesome work! Well done for going into so much details.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
Just for you mate :-

PlvvRvZH

SL22qVL9
That's stunning Rob..Love the Audi symbol and Quattro combo..Oh and a lovely job on the rear speaker led...:rockwoot:

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Just for you mate :-

PlvvRvZH

SL22qVL9

Show off..... Lol them 4 circles are. Definitely going on my next car....so you went red for danger on the footwells mate l suppose they are more effective down on the footwells than white.....a bit of ying & yang never harmed anyone lol

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
That's stunning Rob..Love the Audi symbol and Quattro combo..Oh and a lovely job on the rear speaker led...:rockwoot:

Show off..... Lol them 4 circles are. Definitely going on my next car....so you went red for danger on the footwells mate l suppose they are more effective down on the footwells than white.....a bit of ying & yang never harmed anyone lol

Cheers fellas ;o)

Yes the rings are quite bright much more so than the quattro but I like the mix and match combo. Good spot on the footwell lighting Jassy went red to match the switchgear lighting but mainly because I didn't like the white light reflecting from the silver pedals.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Simon L
So I shouldn't be posting up my mod where I turned the white LED strips to Sepang blue using a texta ?

........pics?? (and yes I do know what a texta is.......just googled it!! lol)

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and WarwickL
........pics?? (and yes I do know what a texta is.......just googled it!! lol)

:)

I only did it to see what it might look like if I changed the fittings. Did the same to the footwells.

Decided white looked best after all.

There is enough Sepang blue outside and on my eBay vent trims.

Back to normal programming (still haven't seen those Raywell items !)

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Simon L and 1 other person
@Rob2k68 all looks very good! Are those ring lights official audi ones or from elsewhere?

@WarwickL any pics or a link to these vent trims?

@Rob2k68 all looks very good! Are those ring lights official audi ones or from elsewhere?

Cheers mate ;o)

Yes genuine Audi Beam puddle lamps from the accessory book or now standard on the FL I believe.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and azibux1

Here you go, Sepang Blue.

Also come in red, white and silver.

I got mine at a reduced price. A few are selling them on eBay now I think.

They are nicely made with a thin strip of 3M adhesive on the back and fit flush.

Nicer than the ones in the new FL in my opinion.

Not all will like them but I do :)

7dd8ef9e2bc9de86dd6c54b2e7e1d6ad.jpg

Reactions: BodegaBay, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person