Bang!!!Broken front suspension spring.

handy andy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Had a brown trouser moment today.

Just on the way out on a day trip with the other half today and BANG....Pulled over and the bottom coil on my nearside front coil spring has snapped off!!!

Does anyone know how much they are.And if i can get one from anywhere else other than the main dealer?? For a 2002 S3 8L.

Or if someones got one or a pair i'd be happy to buy them.

Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
normally the average sort of cost for a standard spring is £30-£40 (not sure about dealer prices) as i use a local parts store.

It's a common failure sadly. Either buy a full set of lowering springs for around £100-120 or go to the dealer and expect to pay £40-£50 EACH for the correct spring.

PS if one has gone, others may not be far behind it FYI

if all the suspension is orignal, change it ALL, when ones goes the rest are bound to follow

Thanks for the input chaps.

Right then what coil springs do you recommend other than genuine? I've seen the Eibach pro kit,Apex,PI and weitech.Does anyone know how they compare to the H&R's?I'll also change the top mounts at the same time.

Cheers
Andy

i bought a full set of springs, shocks and stabalizers for £225, they are german made too, they are fk ak coilovers, well worth it IMO, not sure how long they will last though

Interesting....Was that a recent purchase?Did you fit them yourself fella?

Interesting....Was that a recent purchase?Did you fit them yourself fella?

yea, very recent, mechanic across the road fitted them (although he did not fit the adjusters to the rear the first time LOL as he'd never seen them before) they don't look too hard to fit, but i wouldn't bother myself, not enough time in my life lol, i purchased them from a forum sponsor

Sorry to hear that, must have been scary! But yes it's a common problem. Best way is go for uprated springs.

What about the following:

AP 40/30mm = £120.00
Weitec 20/15mm = £135.00
KW 20/15mm = £150.00

Thanks for the input chaps.

Right then what coil springs do you recommend other than genuine? I've seen the Eibach pro kit,Apex,PI and weitech.Does anyone know how they compare to the H&R's?I'll also change the top mounts at the same time.

Cheers
Andy

Sorry to hear that, must have been scary! But yes it's a common problem. Best way is go for uprated springs.

What about the following:

AP 40/30mm = £120.00
Weitec 20/15mm = £135.00
KW 20/15mm = £150.00

Thanks Yaz,

Yeah it was a bit of a shock to say the least!!!

I'm not looking to lower the car,i want to keep it looking as standard as possible.

Wondered where you've seen the above wietec springs as that seems like a reasonable price.

Cheers
Andy

Update...

I 've picked up a new set of eibach pro springs today.And thought I'd change the top mounts aswell.
Top mounts aswell.
Are the top mounts main dealer only or can I get them from somewhere else?
I'll also change the bearings at the same time.Are these main dealer too?
Any pointers much appreciated.

Cheers
Andy