Bang and Olufsen upgrade - worth it?

ryanb741

Reaction score
Hi all. I have this specced as an upgrade in my Sportback that I have ordered however I'm thinking it may be a frivolity. How does it compare with the Audi sound system? Is it just some fancy lights?

It's by far one of my better options I have on my car... So freaking loud and crisp.

Lights look cool too..

It's a lot of money..... but I'd spec it all over again!

Hi all. I have this specced as an upgrade in my Sportback that I have ordered however I'm thinking it may be a frivolity. How does it compare with the Audi sound system? Is it just some fancy lights?

My dad has a Bang and Olufsen system in his A5 and going just from that i fail to notice any difference from my Audi Sound System to his B & O. Clarity is the same, bass is the same. You do get B & O branded speakers and lights mind! This is the only difference as the sound is very similar.

So £250 for sound or an extra £500 for branded speaker covers and led strips. Up to you mate. To be fair i'd probably spec the Bang and Olufsen if money was no object :)

FWIW, my boss's A5 has B&O and I've also recently had an A4 with it too and the system in my A3 sounded markedly better than either. Maybe it's a better system or something about the smaller, differently shaped cabin, I don't know.

FWIW, my boss's A5 has B&O and I've also recently had an A4 with it too and the system in my A3 sounded markedly better than either. Maybe it's a better system or something about the smaller, differently shaped cabin, I don't know.

was going to post similar, my brother in law just picked up an A4 all road with the B&O , and whilst it sounds amazing , not as good as the A3 with B&O that I sat in , in dealers! So you could be right, I'd also say as the A3 is new from ground up , would presume it has all the latest B&O components etc which could make a big difference, where on the others in audi's range are using 2/3 year old designed equipment ?

BTW, to those still waiting for copies of the DTS demo DVD, I will get it sorted eventually! :(

So I got my 2017 A3 two weeks ago, no B&O and unfortunately got an awful pothole on a snowy day with two flats so I had to get a loaner. The loaner is a 2016 A3 but has the B&O and omg it is amazing. I'm someone who loves to zone out in the car and blast my music so it's totally worth it. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my car but I'm already thinking about it wanting to upgrade the sound system because of it. It's not like the regular sound system is bad, the bass just isn't as good

Reactions: davc and AudiNutta
Personally, the b&o sounds amazing if your listening to the radio or streaming over BT, but I have the *** system and use the 3.5 analog Jack (not Ami) and I think it really all depends on the input going into the system. Using my aux, sounds just as good as B&O, however using other inputs, it sounds awful as it seems to take bass/midrange away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

only thing I would add is if you have not specced reversing sensors, I would order the comfort pack - its better value!

I have the B&O in my car and it's a quality system. It really shines at high volumes.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the B&O, I find it too bright and shouty, seems to lack mid range, plenty of top end and bass.
I'm not sure I would spec it again.
I have tried FLAC, 320kbps MP3s and a few DTS DVDs

Maybe I was just expecting too much from a sound system in a tin box. :smiley:

Anyone looking for DTS DVDs, I have tried.

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Queen - The DVD Collection: Greatest Video Hits 1
Guns N Roses - Some of the Best
Led Zeppelin - DVD (2003)
The Coors - Live in :London

All pretty impressive but probably showing my age :wink new: