BAM Engine Oil

imz

Reaction score
Hi just recently came back to the s3 8l world and need to change the oil.

Can someone please remind me the correct oil and grade please?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5W40 full synth, although a discussion will erupt shortly about base stocks and VW numbers.

Reactions: SamHendry
Most will state 5/30 but i think 5/40 is better. Personally i think 30 weight is to thin if your driving the car hard.

Ive never had an issue on 5/40. I'd love to knoe numbers on oil pressures..

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

It's painful...

The 504.00 5W30 that is just 0.50 Centistokes away from being a 40 grade !

Reactions: boost-addict
One of those balancing acts , lubricity / oil drag / temperature .... this engine seems to use the lube oil , for more than just lubrication , like part of the cam advance/****** , after getting the oil pick up changed and the engine flushed , now running on vw service oil, its a lot better than it was on , what was supposed to be good grade service oil..

found this , not seen one of those 4 ball oil tests , since the castrol gtx adverts .... elf 5/30 shows lowest friction .....

G,

yadda.icm.edu.pl/yadda/.../c/ryniewicz_bojko_madej_estimation_1_2014.pdf

I've always used the Audi recommended 5W30 Castrol Edge but regularly changed. 180k miles and not a hint of any smoke.

Reactions: Gazwould
Ooooo BAM engine oil you say?!
This requires a special brew of engine oil, only available through certain Audi dealers, engineered from the cerebrospinal fluid of Galileo. Current prices are £570/litre + BAM tax

Reactions: Gazwould and THQuattro
Mobil web site comes up with this one , zero > 30 !

Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-30

Good old quantum platinum 5w 40 for me .
£20 delivered direct from quantum , ,changed every 5-6k
Had some delivered yesterday funnily enough as doing my oil pump pick up on Tuesday :)

The good old 502.00 505.01 V 504.00 507.00.
Platinum V LongLife III .

Basil switch from a medium quality oil to a high quality oil !

This is the misconception , LongLife III is 1 Centistoke thinner @ 100 °C than Platinum .

LongLife III is 0.50 Centistoke away from being a 40 grade .

But LongLife III has oil performance advantages over Platinum for wear , fuel economy ( also relates to power and torque increases due to extra friction modifiers in the additive package ) and the old 1.8 T issue of sludge .

This is the misconception , LongLife III is 1 Centistoke thinner @ 100 °C than Platinum .

LongLife III is 0.50 Centistoke away from being a 40 grade .

But LongLife III has oil performance advantages over Platinum for wear , fuel economy ( also relates to power and torque increases due to extra friction modifiers in the additive package ) and the old 1.8 T issue of sludge .

Car is due a service Gazwould, this is an interesting thread. The longlife oil sounds good then as long as it is not used as audi intended? I drop the oil every 4k/8 months so that isn't an issue would you recommend longlife on any state of tune (mild tune 340hp hybrid)? Also would I just give Audi my reg details and they would come up with this oil do you know?

Thanks.

What oil do Audi / VW race on I wonder , that would give a hint , which way to go ?

What oil do Audi / VW race on I wonder , that would give a hint , which way to go ?
You'd be surprised. Audi recommend the 5W-30 mentioned above for the R8. Ferrari for their 458 and Porsche for the 911 GT3 RS recommend 5W-40 and 0W-40 respectively - and these cars have their red line at 9,000 RPM. The stability/quality of VAG's 5W-30 (504/507) is such that you don't have to climb up the viscosity ratings because the car is either sportier or driven more "enthusiastically".

Whats the difference , if the engine's over its normal power levels, whats factored are in on the lube side ?
Racing has very different demands on oil to a high performance road car... I run 5W40 ester based oil, Bill runs 10W60 ester based oil in his race car... main difference is sustained load on the engine... just because my engine can produce nearly 600hp doesn't mean I am using that all the time... race car is different as you are on it all the time for 15/20mins or whatever race duration may be...

Oil in most race cars is dumped after a race... road cars are still expected to do a degree of mileage in between changes and manage it as they don't turn the oil into mud after driving to work...

<tuffty/>

Tha'ts true, there is no detergent in race oil , why would you have it , shorter expected life / better lubricity , some are single grade , but then you need to warm the thing up , shops probably be closed by then :) ....

Its just a forgotten angle, if your upping the power levels, the recommended grades, may not be quite as applicable .. worth reading the web sites , Mobil are pushing variations of there fully synth as 'race / road 'oil

The cosworth 24v was harsh on oil , soon took the edge off it , changing to shell formula Q back in the 1980's gave the 900 honda another 1000 rpm in the gears, but that was back then ..

Ok Gazwould you seem to be the man in the know from what I have read online.

I have Quantum 5w40 502 00/ 505 00/ 505 01

I also have the gold Quantum long life 3 5w30 504 00/ 507 00

Both sitting ready, which should I pour in the s3 8l?

Other people please free to have an opinion but let's try to cut it down so people like me can just choose one and crack on knowing we have the right/best/most appropriate oil for our cars.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy , 504.00 507.00 out performs 502.00 505.01 and is just 1 negligible Centistoke thinner @ 100°C .