Balancer shaft

matty86

Reaction score
Hi Im pretty new to Audi's i jut wondered which engine keeps having this engine failure? Ive got A4 2.0tdi 140bhp cab on a 58reg, Has my car got this engine?

Have a look at your log book, its the first three letters on your engine number. BRE/ BLB etc.

Interesting article that! Im guessing that the engine codes listed are the ones running the chain driven pump? but other engines such as the BRD are still affected by the hex shaft problem?
V+RiaPAERpqaQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Interesting article that! Im guessing that the engine codes listed are the ones running the chain driven pump? but other engines such as the BRD are still affected by the hex shaft problem?
V+RiaPAERpqaQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

The BLB is the chain driven unit ( suffers tensioner and hex shaft issues) and as far as I am aware all the other codes are gear driven and hence "only "have the hex shaft issue.

My 2.0 TFSI oil pump failed earlier this year. It was a different issue to the rounded-off hex shaft that the TDi's get, but the end result was the same - a whole month's wages up the swanny!

Not as bad as my mate who has a BMW. Timing chain snapped, goosed the engine, £6K later was driving about and then engine stopped. Looks like some metal bits got into the fuel system so a whole new fuel system.

Seems German engineering is not what it used to be.

German build quality has definitely declined IMO. I was recently reading a Which? Car buyers guide for 2011 and the 3 German premium brands were all ranked right around mid-table for reliability. Interestingly Audi fared slightly better than BMW.