Balance shafts/oil pump 2.0tdi

Beavis

Reaction score
Hi. I've got a Audi A4 2.0 tdi 2007 with 170bhp. 70000 mile. A few week ago the dredded oil pressure light came on and turned the engine off immediately knowing pretty much what it would be... Trailered the car to a garage and was told the worst and as I expected the balance shaft oil pump problem. A got the work done 2 grand or so later. Almost immediatly I noticed a small puddle of oil on the drive so took it back and they said it was all fine so thougt it might be a bit of oil still left on the engine shield etc. This puddle kept happening so took it back to be told it was the front crank seal and this was nothing to do with the previous repair. I forked out another 400 quid to get this repaired and straight away I had the same leak from the same place and the same amount. Took it back once again to be told there was a hairline crack on the front crank seal housing. I asked for the old housing back and they reluctantly showed me. It was fairly obvious that the tech had damaged the housing whilst getting the oil front crank seal out. The service advisor pretty much aitted this eventually and didn't charge me for the new housing obviously. My question is when the garage replaced the oil pump balance shaft assembly would they have interfered with the front crank seal or housing. They are adamant this was not linked to the leak but I think it's too much of a coincidence. Really appreciate your replies as I'm thinking about trying to get my 400 quid back or possibly small claims court etc...

Yep normally as a matter of course they should have taken the chain off the sprocket and replaced it, in any case the seal assembly is in the way so you have to take it off. So they would have had to take it off to get to the original repair.

Got them either way. If they didn't take it off they didn't do it properly if they did then they damaged it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep normally as a matter of course they should have taken the chain off the sprocket and replaced it, in any case the seal assembly is in the way so you have to take it off. So they would have had to take it off to get to the original repair.

Got them either way. If they didn't take it off they didn't do it properly if they did then they damaged it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 2007 won't have a chain driven system and would be geared from the factory. So there is no need to touch it or go anywhere near it as there is no chain or sprocket to replace. Doesn't mean they didn't do it, but if the work they did had no reason for them to mess with that area (and it doesn't) then you'll have a neigh on impossible time proving it was their fault!

Thanks for your reply. Does the chain/sprocket come as part of the kit from Audi? I remember there were two parts listed on the invoice. The balance shaft assembly and an oil sump.

Unfortunately you have gone to a stealer.

The whole gear driven balancer shaft assembly did not need replacing and they probably have replaced with exactly the same oem inferoir design as to why it failed .

The two components which failed are available as a remanufactured modified kit that engineers out the multiple engineering incompetence for just £215....

Reactions: Mario
Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like a case of live and learn I suppose.