Balance Shaft?

CliffordSE

Reaction score
Hi all,

My 56 plate 2.0 TDi 170 has died. I'm getting it checked out by a local garage tomorrow but I've spoken to a knowledgeable friend about the symptoms it has and he reckons it's balance shaft failure, and I was looking to get some consensus or other suggestions from people on here.

After coughing out a load of blue smoke on start up, the engine management light came on and the car went into limp mode. There's also a whining noise, not loud or high pitched, but definitely there. Sounds a bit like something trying to spin but not being able to.

I don't know the engine code, but if it helps it's an early 07 S-Line on 112000.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As above, wouldn't think it's oil pump related with those symptoms.
Turbo failure, egr valve, etc ?

"I don't know the engine code, but if it helps it's an early 07 S-Line on 112000"

Engine code is stamped on timing belt cover on the front of the engine and in the front of your service book.

Doesn't sound like oil pump/balance shaft issue, unless it's seized the turbo etc.

Hope you get it sorted......and without too much expense.

Also a oil pressure problem can cause the turbo to go, but the turbo can go on its own. if the oil pressure is OK it's likely to be just the turbo.

Apologies for the late reply, been very busy with work this week.

Got it scanned with VCDS as a favour from a friend (not a garage in the end), and they found it wouldn't connect to the engine controller. It scanned stuff like the interior monitoring, steering etc but not the engine.

I'm not sure if this could be a cause for VCDS not reading the engine but a factor I was considering was that the car has been stood for two weeks before I could get it looked at (I work away a lot with work), and it won't start. It seems like the battery's dead, as it'll attempt to turn over but fail. If the battery is dead, could this affect VCDS' ability to read the engine? It's my first thought, unless it's something more serious. But then why would it be able to read the other elements ok?

Thanks all.