Badger5 TIP 2.2 or 3?

graham d'arcy

Reaction score
I'm about to pick one of these up this week.

Just wondering has anyone had any negative points about either? A friend of mine said the 2.2 kept coming loose and to go for the v3 and my cousin said he didn't have that issue on his to go for the 2.2.

I understand the 2.2 has better flow and the 3 is more of a budget product but still a really good purchase but really looking to see if anyone has had any good/negative/mixed reviews on either?

Can't really go wrong with either. That's why they are so popular. They work. Fit nice. Really good quality. I have a v3 but I think the 2.2 possibly aids flow bit more.

Hi @badger5 , I am sure I have seen a PDF or on line guide somewhere for fitting a V2.2 / V3. It may have been on another forum. Would you have a link?
I have a V2.2 that I may be fitting this weekend if the air filter arrives.
Bought one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-BL...UNIVERSAL-WITH-80mm-ID-COUPLING/271617466626?
Got it for just over £40 as I made an offer. Just need to fashion a bit of a heat shield .
From the FAQ's ;)http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/80mm-tip-fitting-instructions.144109/

<tuffty/>

Top man I knew I had seen that before. I was going to use some of the grey Elring Dirko that I used to seal the sump on the Billet to turbo joint, as I haven't got any suitable silicone

Fitted the TIP yesterday along with the Ramair filter. Made my own box to stop hot air finding it's way to the air filter from the rad/ engine.
DSC 2626

DSC 2621

Pretty easy to fit, I found the most difficult thing to do was removing the OE clips . I have now officially joined the boy racer brigade though with all the whooshing and whistling. The car definitely pulls better at the top end and that can be seen from the logs I made on Nefmoto. Doesn't appear to be much difference below 4500 RPM but after that it logs higher MAF readings and it's noticeably better at the top end pulling stronger .
The turbo seems OK no more play side to side than I would expect in a journal bearing turbo and only the very smallest amount of end float.
I fitted the Forge 008 after I took the photo above. Went with the standard Green spring but will swap to the yellow when it's mapped. This seemed to make the whooshing noise a little louder :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SamHendry
While I have you here Bill, any plans to ship the v2.2 tip and JR filter to Ireland, or just UK only? As much as im against non standard air filters I have been assured they do make a difference in performance when you go for a remap, so if im going to get any its going to be the one you sell.

also, any plans on doing a kit with the v3?

I'm doing my bilstein b12 pro kit this month but looking to get the full kit next month before my remap in november.

Fitted the TIP yesterday along with the Ramair filter. Made my own box to stop hot air finding it's way to the air filter from the rad/ engine.
View attachment 131690

View attachment 131691
Pretty easy to fit, I found the most difficult thing to do was removing the OE clips . I have now officially joined the boy racer brigade though with all the whooshing and whistling. The car definitely pulls better at the top end and that can be seen from the logs I made on Nefmoto. Doesn't appear to be much difference below 4500 RPM but after that it logs higher MAF readings and it's noticeably better at the top end pulling stronger .
The turbo seems OK no more play side to side than I would expect in a journal bearing turbo and only the very smallest amount of end float.
I fitted the Forge 008 after I took the photo above. Went with the standard Green spring but will swap to the yellow when it's mapped. This seemed to make the whooshing noise a little louder :)

I assume you remembered to plug your MAF back in? I forgot mine too when I fitted my V3 TIP.

Well spotted. No I actually forgot to plug it in and got a CEL . Looked under the bonnet and quickly spotted my basic mistake.

its that heart dropping moment when a warning light comes on and always a pleasant surprise when it is something simple.

While I have you here Bill, any plans to ship the v2.2 tip and JR filter to Ireland, or just UK only? As much as im against non standard air filters I have been assured they do make a difference in performance when you go for a remap, so if im going to get any its going to be the one you sell.

also, any plans on doing a kit with the v3?

I'm doing my bilstein b12 pro kit this month but looking to get the full kit next month before my remap in november.
I send to ireland/worldwide frequently..
The webshop cannot accommodate different shipping costs/countries which is why its "call for outside UK" on there.
you can click on buy on the webshop and I can send manual paypal invoice for the carriage to destination country.

Ah grand , I saw the TIP's were shipable to here but the whole kit wasnt, just wanted to make sure I can order it next month. Cheers, and will call you ahead of ordering when I do. Thanks!