Bad CV joint? (my first post)

97A4turbo

Reaction score
hello everyone this is my first post but i am not new to audi's or this forum.

Lately it sounds like my 97 A4 1.8t (not a quattro)has all terrain tires on it. the ride is very rough and gets rougher if i turn the steering wheel slightly to the left or the right. has anyone experienced this? my tires are all inflated properly. i am sure the tires are not the issue. is it a bad cv joint?

thanks in advance for the help

cmon...a little help please
could it be a bad control arm...is the cv joint part of the control arm?

sounds like a wheel bearing to me.best way to check is to raise the vehicle and spin each wheel by hand and listen.it is possible to feel worn bearings through the bearing carrier/susp upright whilst spinning the wheel by hand.

it is speed related and the faster i go the louder the ride is. it sounds like its the tires but they are fine. the dealer told me to check my power steering fluid but that was good too. it isnt something that is stopping me from driving but just a little annoying b/c the ride used to be so smooth.

it could still be tyres.certain brands go knobbly on the inside edge.you could feel his by rubbing your hand over the inside edge.ive had a few cars with this fault.also ive had an out of shape tyre.try raising the vehicle and spin each wheel and view each tyre from the rear at the bottom and look for the tread jumping.