Bad 12v socket position in new 2021 S3

essooil

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about spending £43k on a new S3. I ask the Audi main dealer sales guy a question and he can't give me an answer.

Okay, so I don't like the location of the 12V socket on the new S3. It's too far back on the centre console. I need to connect a 12v breakout box for my snooper, Alexa and Dash cam and don't want the cable to trail across the console. This is a ridiculous location for the 12v socket. My 2017 S3 has the 12v socket right at the front and the wire from the breakout box is almost invisible (which runs to the breakout box which I've put behind the glove box). I also have a 8 inch Android tablet with Torque on. Had this since May 2017 and all these devices work perfectly.

So I ask the Audi salesman if I pay extra can their service centre fit a 12v socket to the passenger footwell? Then I got the puzzled look. I'll have the car for 4 years. I do a lot of driving and need my Snooper and Alexa and Dash cam. You only get 2 USB sockets at the front and if I have my music USB stick in one of them and plugged my Alexa dot into the other I can't power my Snooper, Dash cam or Tablet.

I made a much larger post about this in Jan (see link below) and got some really good replies but non that answered the question about has anyone else found powering their gadgets tricky? (If you don't want a cable permanently running across the centre console from the 12v socket).

Does anyone know if I could fit a 12v socket (or breakout box with 2 x 12v sockets and 3 x USB ports) direct from engine bay (or another way?) and not affect the warranty?

See my other post at

Thank you in advance for any feedback or comments.

Last edited:
Firstly, asking the dealer for this was never going to work. Someone would have to actually think and that's not what they do.
You are running too much off the 12v from your description. What you want is an auto electrician to run a fused power wire into the cabin, from there you can opt to carry on with the "ciggie light" style plugs or simply wire in permanent fixtures direct, ideally with their own fuses also.
The auto industry is begging for a new standard of 12v plug. The old ones are utter crap to be honest. And plugging in multi boxes is begging for trouble. You would be shocked at how thin the power wires are for these plugs.

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk

Narva product (so quality internals)
81168BL is the part number. They have flush mounts also
ae7e237afaa79b689fbfe2aea66cec69.jpg

Sent from my SM-J810Y using Tapatalk