Backbox delete!

haggis84

Reaction score
Just wandering if anyone has removed their backbox's on a 3.0tdi quattro? My brother keeps telling me to do it but im not sure. Would like more of that v6 grunt. Any help appreciated

Might be wrong but I'm sure member called desertstorm did this.

Best chop off completely and weld straight pipes rather than back box surgery .

Reactions: DieselJake
Think i shall be getting them chopped off now :) want rid of those nasty turned down tips and some nice 3" chrome slashed ones put on. Thanks for the help people

I did it... this sunny afternoon has affirmed my love for the 3.0tdi with no backboxes. The sound is not exactly subtle in residential areas, however I've removed the DPF & 2nd CAT so that probably contributes to the dB level...

Reactions: Paul @ Unit 9 Remaps
I did it... this sunny afternoon has affirmed my love for the 3.0tdi with no backboxes. The sound is not exactly subtle in residential areas, however I've removed the DPF & 2nd CAT so that probably contributes to the dB level...
I don't suppose you can do a vid or sound clip of the car driving past / away to see what it sounds like, I'm running a straight through system from turbo back and the dB levels not that bad, it coo's it's **** off on each gear change tho.

So not really worth doing then? Unless i geet a proper system fitted?? I want my tips changed as ive got the unsightly turned down type. Not a massive fan of the choo either but dont know ifvid get much of thatcas mines an auto?.....

If you're just after aesthetics then the tips will suit you fine, but on their own they will make no difference to the sound.

If you remove the backboxes and replace them with straight pipes (with tips on) it will alter the sound as well. Not as much as if you also removed the CAT and/or DPF, but it will have an effect. I can't say how much, as I haven't done it, but I'm sure others have trod the same path previously and can comment.

Don't base your decision on a de-boxed 2.0tdi, the 3.0tdi sounds much more refined and less like a DERV!

I actually seen a video on youtube wherevthey dyno'd a 3.0 tdi and then cut back boxes off and put straight pipes on and then dyno'd it again and it added 20 bhp. Couldn believe it tbh but he cut the backbox open and when you see ehatvthe fumes have to squeeze thru to get out then it made sense.

Got my 3.0tdi booked in for a backbox-ectomy next Friday will try to get some pics and a video. ;-)

I also have completed this mod, my method was to cut open the boxes from the top gut all the insides out and straight pipe the internals with Bosel flexi pipe and clamps. Welded the boxes back up neatly! And refit with 2 90mm T304 stainless tips as per my avatar picture. Looks awesome and sounds better!! Cost me 60 sheets! Well, impressed. Mine is also completely de-catted so its pretty much straight through now!

Ive got a sound vid but I'm struggling to upload it. ill keep trying.

Reactions: desertstorm, Gazwould and JMGR33N
Right, its taken me AGES! To try and upload this in some sort of fashion as it keeps saying there is a security issue and refresh to try again??? I'm hopeless with computers to a certain extent.

Any who, i remember reading Carl's (desertstorm I think) thread on his B8 exhaust mod and thought, yep Ill do that! Albeit in a slightly different way. I only wished id taken photos of the job! Went very, very well indeed! So I hope this clip plays! I used an ANCIENT camera cable tied to the rear wiper so the quality is shocking but you get the exhaust note.

Its worth listening all the way through as it sounds very different here and there etc.

http://vid278.photobucket.com/albums/kk86/d-turbs110/MVI_0979.mp4

Reactions: JMGR33N
You can get various sound level increases when modding the exhaust depending on what you do. To get something really loud you need to remove the DPF acts as a real noise killer . If you are keeping the DPF then removal of the rear baffles helps get a bit more of that V6 growl without having any drone issues. I actually just cut the silencer open and made it straight through, then repacked it with fibre glass insulation as I didn't want it too loud. Later on I added a valve that basically dumps the exhaust out under the car. This produces as good deal more noise but I can turn it off at any time just by closing the valve. This is a quick sound bite out the window with the valve open.

By ditching the DPF and basically having all the silencers removed you end up with something like the Supersprint exhaust.

Karl.

Reactions: JMGR33N and Mark 3.0 TDI
I'm going for straight back box removal on my 2005 B7, I'm told it's pre-DPF, is there anyway of confirming that, without crawling around in the rain? ;-)

what year is the car? a usual give away is looking at the tailpipes, are they black with soot or fairly clean even to the touch? clean its DPF, filthy and its non.

^2005, yea pretty sooty from what I can see.

Reactions: Mark 3.0 TDI
Backbox-ectomy done!

Really pleased with the result. Nice smooth v6 burble under normal about town throttle. Then once in the power band you get a real nice rumble and wast gate sound on lift off

Tips look better that the down turned ones too.

Reactions: Mark 3.0 TDI
piccys sound clip???? For comparison to my effort and for others to see that this sweet 6 potter sounds goooood!

Here's a pic while they were still hanging it.

Will try to get a sound clip tomorrow ;-

03199103a5738ea15233c0a8260c585d.jpg

Reactions: barkclark, Mark 3.0 TDI and Gazwould
Very nice! what was the cost if you don't mind me asking? Im most interested to see what the car sounds like with the cats still in, compared to my fully de-cated car. Either way, I love the sound of the 3.0 V6 TDI!

Looks mint buddy. What size tips are they? Is tours an auto or manual? Not a massive fan of wastegate sound but dont know if u would get as much with auto as gear change is instantanious.

They are 3inch slash cut. It's a manual. I'm not a fan of excessive waste gate noise either but with this setup it's a very hollow deep noise and I quite like it.

Haven't had a chance to do a sound clip yet but will to as soon as I can. ;-)

Ok so I did a quick video. Tbh it doesn't do it any justice. Also it sounds best when under load in 2nd and 3rd.

But here you go.