Back to a S5 Again!

Bells

Reaction score
So I’m back in a S5 again after I got offered a crazy good price to sell my S3 after lockdown. Previously had a 2018 S5 about 18 months ago and ran it for 6 months before selling it after being offered what I paid for it. I’m hoping to keep this one for a little longer though!

Wasn’t planning on getting another S5 but after considering a few different options I spotted a 17 plate with just 15k miles up for sale, one of the cheapest in the Country at the time and at an Audi dealer with 2 year warranty.

Couldn’t believe the spec, I think it’s possibly one of the highest spec cars in the country as the options list included: Comfort and Sound Pack, Light and Vision Pack, Driver Assistance Pack Tour, Dynamic Steering, Sports Diff, Parking Assistance Advanced, Dynamic Ride Control, Red Calipers, Folding Mirrors and most importantly for me Pan Roof.

I’ve only had the car a few weeks but unfortunately not driven it much as it’s been to the detailers and in and out of Audi trying to fix some dead pixels on the Virtual Cockpit. Luckily covered under warranty but the new £2500 screen they fitted also had a pixel issue too so I’m waiting for another replacement to be ordered from Germany currently!

However, once that’s all sorted I’ve got a few more changes planned, so may keep this thread updated with my progress. So far I’ve installed the Audi OEM Smoked LED Rear Lights and had the windows tinted, one of the few options the previous owner didn’t spec was Privacy Glass, I don’t know why but I really missed it.

Future plans so far are:
  • Retrofit RS5 Aluminium Race Inlays to replace the standard silver trim.
  • Fit OEM Alcantara RS5 Gear Selector Cover.
  • Fix some wear and scuffing on the drivers seat bolsters - currently looking into repair / retrim I don’t know if anyone can give any advice?
  • Exhaust modification, possibly by PCW Mods or maybe a used Miltek System, open to ideas?
  • Fit a RS5 Grill - although I’ve heard of issues with refitting the front facing camera for the 360 degree system so need to investigate this, has anyone done this successfully with the camera?
  • Order custom designed S5 Mats from AutoStyle as the existing ones are pretty knackered.
  • Ceramic Coating to protect the paintwork, possibility early 2021 after we’ve had the winter weather.
  • Install RS5 black boot lip spoiler, nothing huge possibly the OEM one.
Cheers!

5B2141F2 C26D 4AB2 9BD4 68113A465070
66236919 E6D6 431F 9339 BBC964649482
36E0A7EC 2FF5 41DA B94C D0EB41482F46
914DD0BE CDED 4A68 A527 D6897E6E4333

Attachments

• EEAF87AF-6F3C-498B-803E-26F50E8FDFF7.jpeg
    EEAF87AF-6F3C-498B-803E-26F50E8FDFF7.jpeg
    919.3 KB · Views: 362
  • 79B3C55E-E754-471B-940A-7E9F69507D01.jpeg
    79B3C55E-E754-471B-940A-7E9F69507D01.jpeg
    765.1 KB · Views: 337
  • B510D24D-9285-4EA8-845B-BBCD7D227CE0.jpeg
    B510D24D-9285-4EA8-845B-BBCD7D227CE0.jpeg
    943.9 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: Audi Bairn, Raiden, Jonnie and 6 others
Nice one, and cracking car and spec, just need some better pics subscribed

Reactions: V6 Quatt, Sandra and Jassyo06
Nice one, and cracking car and spec, just need some better pics subscribed
Cheers mate, yeah I need to get some better ones these are just some quick snaps on my phone. It needs a proper wash too crazy how filthy it gets.

Meant to be heading up to Scotland next month so if I actually end up going I should be able to get some decent ones then :icon thumright:

Last edited:
Reactions: V6 Quatt, NevMan and Sandra
Welcome back to the S5 scene PCW Mods done the exhaust on mine and 0 complaints! However he is fully booked currently until April

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NevMan, Sandra and Bells
Welcome back to the S5 scene PCW Mods done the exhaust on mine and 0 complaints! However he is fully booked currently until April

Thanks! Was going to PM you actually to see if you’d got any sound clips because I remember you had your exhaust done by PCW Mods, luckily I contacted him just as I picked up the car and he gave me a slot in Feb so I’m leaning towards that as it’s only £300 as opposed to £1000+ for a decent exhaust.

Reactions: Adam14 and NevMan
The S5 looks amazing.Enjoy to the max.

Reactions: NevMan and Bells

+1 - did backbox on mine too

Reactions: Adam14 and Bells
Thanks! Was going to PM you actually to see if you’d got any sound clips because I remember you had your exhaust done by PCW Mods, luckily I contacted him just as I picked up the car and he gave me a slot in Feb so I’m leaning towards that as it’s only £300 as opposed to £1000+ for a decent exhaust.
I have some but they don't really do it justice, can try and find some if you drop me a PM.

Reactions: Bells

Should be clips on his FB site, but backbox mod for much better sound, and if you want more Res delete, but chat through with him when there

Nice S5 another quality coupe. Are you selling the silver trim

Nice S5 another quality coupe. Are you selling the silver trim
Cheers! Yeah once I’ve had chance to swap the trim over I’ll be putting the old set up for sale, should be in the next week or so.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Nice! Reminds me of my S5 that went back in March. Main thing I miss is the noise from the Milltek I had on and the pan roof. Didnt bother with the pan roof on the 8 series as its split in two parts so isnt really a pan roof.

Reactions: Bells and NevMan
Nice! Reminds me of my S5 that went back in March. Main thing I miss is the noise from the Milltek I had on and the pan roof. Didnt bother with the pan roof on the 8 series as its split in two parts so isnt really a pan roof.
Cheers mate, did you end up selling your Miltek? I’ve seen like 1 go up on eBay in months, don’t seem to come up very often.

Reactions: NevMan
Got my custom S5 mats in the post today after a 2 week wait but they were worth it. I’d asked the company to mirror the finish of the RS Design mats as I liked that style, and I Audi don’t do a custom S5 design to my knowledge.

Quality is great, they seem better than OEM both in terms of thickness and quality, so I’ll have to see how they hold up after some use.

Only minor niggle is that I’d asked for red stitching around the edges to match my interior finish but it’s come with the standard black, not a deal breaker but I’ve emailed the company to see what they say, I’m sure I spec’d it on my order but never mind.

64510928 7F23 4470 8C22 9925691ED110
1413EDCD 61F7 40D6 B055 6E48C5E99C14
70E2C165 5F43 42F9 BB5E 048307C9B459

Reactions: Adam14
Got my custom S5 mats in the post today after a 2 week wait but they were worth it. I’d asked the company to mirror the finish of the RS Design mats as I liked that style, and I Audi don’t do a custom S5 design to my knowledge.

Quality is great, they seem better than OEM both in terms of thickness and quality, so I’ll have to see how they hold up after some use.

Only minor niggle is that I’d asked for red stitching around the edges to match my interior finish but it’s come with the standard black, not a deal breaker but I’ve emailed the company to see what they say, I’m sure I spec’d it on my order but never mind.

View attachment 211119 View attachment 211121 View attachment 211120
Looks good, where did you get them from please mate? And how do you go about adding the S5 logo?

Looks good, where did you get them from please mate? And how do you go about adding the S5 logo?

Cheers I'm pleased with them, I’ll PM you mate :icon thumright:

I have some but they don't really do it justice, can try and find some if you drop me a PM.

Just posted on PCWMods insta:

Reactions: Bells and Adam14
Just posted on PCWMods insta:

Saw this over the weekend as I follow him on Instagram, sounds much better and not too over the top.

Imagine the S5 will sound similar once done, obviously slight variance due to the additional turbo and mapping etc. Although I’ve heard some people say the S5 sounds better than an RS5 as it’s only got a single turbo which sounds odd to me :tearsofjoy:

Saw this over the weekend as I follow him on Instagram, sounds much better and not too over the top.

Imagine the S5 will sound similar once done, obviously slight variance due to the additional turbo and mapping etc. Although I’ve heard some people say the S5 sounds better than an RS5 as it’s only got a single turbo which sounds odd to me :tearsofjoy:

sorry, misread that it was an RS. I have heard S5’s before and thought they sound better

I've PMd you bells my video after PCW. Not the best comparison with a cold engine but should help.

sorry, misread that it was an RS. I have heard S5’s before and thought they sound better
Yeah I followed an S5 the other day and it seemed to be stock judging by the exhaust tips but I nearly asked him what he’d done to the exhaust as it sounded much louder than mine :tearsofjoy:

I've PMd you bells my video after PCW. Not the best comparison with a cold engine but should help.
Cheers for that mate just seen it now, it certainly gives me a rough idea, just have to wait till February till mine gets done now, seems ages away!

Started fitting my RS5 Alu Race Inlays today, got halfway before running out of daylight, still got the main dash trim with the heater controls to do tomorrow but think it looks much better already, will put me on until I find a reasonably priced carbon set :tearsofjoy: Taking my time with it, not too difficult but a lot more time consuming that my S3!

Last job of the day was swapping my old leather gear selector out for an alcantara RS5 one that I picked up from Crewe Audi Parts, nice change and matches the alcantara on the door cards.

B1A08F13 A4EC 447D 9EE5 6A7CA8FB39BA

Reactions: creweaudiparts, Buck and Bishop187
Started fitting my RS5 Alu Race Inlays today, got halfway before running out of daylight, still got the main dash trim with the heater controls to do tomorrow but think it looks much better already, will put me on until I find a reasonably priced carbon set :tearsofjoy: Taking my time with it, not too difficult but a lot more time consuming that my S3!

Last job of the day was swapping my old leather gear selector out for an alcantara RS5 one that I picked up from Crewe Audi Parts, nice change and matches the alcantara on the door cards.

View attachment 212763
Where's you get those inlays mate? They look the biz! Also liking the new shifter, how does it feel (weird Q I know).

Where's you get those inlays mate? They look the biz! Also liking the new shifter, how does it feel (weird Q I know).

Off eBay they came from Poland, they are all perfect and look brand new. Luckily they came with the gear base and all the air vents still attached too so sold those to get some money back, but I paid a fraction of what they cost from Audi :tearsofjoy:

The set I’m taking off is in decent condition too so I’ll probably list those up too rather than them sit in the garage.

Really impressed with the alcantara gear cover it feels very premium and I needed a new one anyway as my other was a little scratched up. Feels very similar to the alcantara finish on the doors. I did consider the perforated leather one but I made the right choice. It should also match the alcantara steering wheel cover I’ve ordered too which I’m going to attempt to fit when that arrives.

Last edited:
Will keep an eye on this thread to steal ideas Or more see what things look like before taking the plunge.

Reactions: NevMan, S32B and Bells
Love the new inlays, mats and gear selector cover. Might be stealing these ideas

Love the new inlays, mats and gear selector cover. Might be stealing these ideas
Inlays are great, wasn’t 100% sure about them at first but think I may actually like them more than the carbon fibre ones I had in my previous S5 now. Gear selector cover finishes the interior off nicely and the mats are holding up great even in the winter weather.

Still got quite a few bits to do with the car and I haven’t updated the thread in a while.

Had my Maxton Rear Diffuser delivered the other day, so need to get it installed. Probably attempt that myself, although I did look under the car the other day and it seems like a difficult job getting the clips loose so we will see, don’t want to knacker the bumper.

Still on the hunt for a decent RS5 style grill that will work with my front 360 camera, but as soon as I find one that’ll be my next purchase.

Also, got my gloss black RS5 spoiler to install too, but just waiting for a my detailer to get back to me about ceramic coating it and possibly installing at the same time.

Then finally the cars going down to PCW Exhaust Mods in Feb which seemed ages ago when I booked it back in Sept but I can’t wait. Should get me some extra noise from the V6 which is the only thing lacking at the moment :sweatsmile:

I’ve just bought my 1st s5 sportback so interested to see where you go with yours

So not updated this thread in a while but this lockdown has been quite productive and I’ve managed to get a few bits done to the car.

Finally got my Maxton Rear Diffuser and RS5 Spoiler Fitted to the car which I think looks great, only negative was my original S5 one snapped in the middle where it was bonded but nevermind :tearsofjoy:

Also, finally got my hands on some genuine Carbon Inlays which I fitted today so my RS5 Alu Race Inlays I previously fitted will be getting sold.

Final thing I’ve got to do is fit my ECS Paddle shift extensions that eventually came in the post after over a month of waiting from America. I ordered two sets, a gloss and a matte finish but keeping the matte as I prefer them, just going to wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I fit them to make sure it sticks properly.

Next job will be a RS Grill!

Will be listing the RS5 Race Inlays and Gloss Black Paddles in the classifieds when I get chance for anyone who’s interested :)

2EC8AF26 6C94 4238 871D 20530BFB43F8
5A345891 E57A 4734 8067 DB5DDC161EB1
112A8150 BB75 44AC 81C7 3714781713ED
49CFBEAD 19B9 42B5 90FB 16A8D36D44A5
722DF99A 4AEA 4658 B5D4 A6A8C8756417

Last edited:
Reactions: NevMan and BarryG79
Looks awesome! Please let me know where you got the inlays from as I’ve been searching and only viable option is an Austrian seller on eBay at the moment. This or USA but they want $1700 plus shipping.

Looks awesome! Please let me know where you got the inlays from as I’ve been searching and only viable option is an Austrian seller on eBay at the moment. This or USA but they want $1700 plus shipping.
Picked them up from a member on here fortunately. Although a friend of mine got a full set from a breakers yard for just over £500 about 12 months back, problem with breakers is you don’t always know what condition they will come in. Luckily his were pretty mint.

$1700 + shipping is crazy money, from memory I don’t think Audi charge more than £1000 for a completely brand new set. Isn’t the USA left hand drive anyway so they wouldn’t fit?

Mine was in Audi this week and they said they cannot get hold of the carbon interior trim as I wanted to get a price. Strange.

Mine was in Audi this week and they said they cannot get hold of the carbon interior trim as I wanted to get a price. Strange.
Weird they’ll definitely be able to supply it via the parts dept. They probably don’t keep it in stock but it’d just be a custom order from Germany. If you want a price contact Tom at Crewe Audi parts via the parts request on here, he’ll give you an idea of the price for a brand new set :icon thumright:

Reactions: Gonzokew and NevMan
Warmed up a bit today so the ECS paddles got fitted, applied my own 3m tape as there was only two thin strips supplied with them. Hopefully they should stay on it was 3M Automotive grade so I may never be able to remove them :tearsofjoy:

Think they look great, not too obtrusive like some you see and look pretty OEM Plus to me which is what I was after. Don’t knock against cruise or wiper stalks either. I went for a spin after an hour of leaving them to bond and they seem solid, can shift using the very top or bottom of the paddle extension and it worked no with no issue.

7694B8D4 23A4 4773 BF45 EBAF74FAC478
F2CA30CE 9756 45B2 AA9F 0A988F65DD35

Reactions: NevMan and Gonzokew
So yesterday’s car wash didn’t go well, it had been about a month since I cleaned it last, anyway I came to cleaning the alloys and noticed this on all 4, looks like they’ve started to corrode, with these little white spec’s all dotted around each alloy. Still totally smooth and not rough to the touch, guessing they’ll all need a full refurb?

I’ve heard about salt damaging diamond cut alloys before but I’ve had alloys like this for years without any issue. When I bought the car last Oct I was told by the Audi Dealer that all 4 alloys had been refurbed prior to sale, could it be a poor refurb job which has resulted in this lacquer or diamond cut finish failing so quickly? Currently debating whether it’s worth going back to the dealership and complaining about it.

Also, got round to cleaning out my air filter / box, after 17k miles this was the state it was in. Think I’ll order a new one and replace another day as they are only £30 odd but I’ve hoovered it out for now. Has anyone on here put in an aftermarket air filter? Wondering whether to put a ‘performance one’ in rather than OEM?

Attachments

• 0DD4280C-0F9E-42ED-BED5-ACC09308DB5B.jpeg
    0DD4280C-0F9E-42ED-BED5-ACC09308DB5B.jpeg
    645.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 67B7BC72-3ACD-4C7D-BEF5-9C87AA13CA4D.jpeg
    67B7BC72-3ACD-4C7D-BEF5-9C87AA13CA4D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 213
  • 09AB9431-2346-4146-A89B-411909844640.jpeg
    09AB9431-2346-4146-A89B-411909844640.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200
  • 7A2BF322-FCA1-4BA4-8E12-77A52D916CA3.jpeg
    7A2BF322-FCA1-4BA4-8E12-77A52D916CA3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
There only has to be a microscopic pin hole in the lacquer for moisture and salt to get in . I am surprised you have never had issues with diamond cut alloys before. I would take it back to the dealer and let them look at them.

Reactions: Bells and NevMan
There only has to be a microscopic pin hole in the lacquer for moisture and salt to get in . I am surprised you have never had issues with diamond cut alloys before. I would take it back to the dealer and let them look at them.
Probably because I never usually keep my cars long enough to get issues :sweatsmile: the dealership I bought the car from is 200 miles away so I’m going to give them a call later on. Might see what Audi UK say too, as it’s not good a full refurb only lasting just over 5 months.

I’ve been to a local alloy wheel specialist today and they’ve said it was a poor refurbishment and they have been cut very heavily which means they won’t be able to get diamond cut again. Slightly frustrating but it may be an excuse to upgrade to 20 inch alloys instead :tearsofjoy: