Back seat carpet soaked with antifreeze

lexicondevil

Reaction score
What a nightmare! I drive a 2001 a6 sedan. Starting around a week ago, I noticed a strange anti freeze smell in the cabin. At first I did not think much of this; I probably reasoned that some got on my clothes last time I used it. ( I keep a bottle of it with me as my engine has a slight leak.) Anyways, one day when I was getting something out of the back seat I noticed that the bottle in question tipped over, and the cap must have been loose as the carpet of the back left footwell was completely soaked in antifreeze! I'm sure one day I'll look back and laugh at this, but for the moment I'm pretty upset. I've spent a ton of time using wet vacuums recently and have definitely gotten a lot of the moisture out to the point where the carpet looks dry, but if you touch it it still feels wet and slimy. My guess is the foam padding absorbed a ton of the moisture. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? Is it possible to lift up that portion of the carpet? Should I use a De humidifier? Should I look for professional assistance? I'm willing to try and do what needs to be done myself, I'm just not sure how to get under the carpet and get all that moisture out. I feel like such a fool!

This is a difficult one - I don't think a dehumidifier is going to help much because the antifreeze won't evaporate (easily), so won't disperse into the air. Contiuous cleaning/diluting is probably a good move, but you have done a lot of that already.

I think I would be looking for professional advice!

Ideally, I'd like to lift up that portion of the carpet. Can this be done without taking out all the seats and the center console?

It's seat and center console out to remove the carpet.