Back in S3 number 4!

Another job or two off this list at the weekend, MOT is due in December but I'm hoping to avoid messing about with it then so I did the inner CV boot, the existing boot was fine but somehow had ended up with no clip on it (was like this when I bought it). Bought a cheap kit from ECP for the grease and clip, grease was fine but the clip seemed to big, managed to get it pretty tight but as I was refitting it (5 of the 6 bolts in!) it popped off again, so I ended up just putting a bit jubilee on it, nice and tight now.

Despise doing CV boots, ****** grease everywhere but done now.

View attachment 243586

Seemed a good time to tackle the inner arch cleaning, wasn't looking too good beforehand and as expected, a lot of muck was stuck behind :(
View attachment 243584

View attachment 243587

Looking better now

View attachment 243583

Just to fit my replacement light switch next so my fogs work and then hopefully that should be all the known issues covered.
Car will be even lighter now lol. Car looks the nuts mate. Don’t make em like they used too.

Reactions: Ian W
Went to a local Cars and Coffee yesterday in the S3 :)

FB IMG 1633291015628

IMG 20211003 100419

IMG 20211003 104207

IMG 20211003 104217

Reactions: S3AMJ, hydro s3, Jcbmally and 2 others
First issue with S3 number 4! Noticed when I was driving home my front fogs where on permanently, then they started flashing :blink:

Did a quick search and comes back as the most likely cause is a faulty switch so will pull that out this weekend and see if any repair can be made before trying to locate a replacement.

In the meantime, fog light fuse removed and everything seems perfectly normal, so in some respects, fixed :laugh:

Fitted a replacement headlight switch at the weekend and happy to report my fog lights now come on with the switch rather than all the time!

Was a bit fiddly, I did the slight twist and pull method on the old switch and only half of it came out so had to get the rest out from behind.

Should be good for the MOT now, well everything I know it needed has been done...

Went to another Cars and Coffee on Sunday :)

IMG 20211017 WA0002

Reactions: MPH, S3AMJ and Jcbmally
Looking forward to getting my car back to attend some car meets. Your car is looking on point as usual Ian! Very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S3 ticked over 100, 000 last week so I have done about 12k during my 11 months of ownership so far, loved every minute of it :D

Recently purchased some adjustable tie bars so the plan is to get them on and get the alignment done, plus the MOT is due next month.

Hoping we get a bit of snow so I can feel that bit of smugness climbing the small incline out of the car park while the SUV's can't get out :whistle2:

• Haha
Reactions: S3AMJ, Jcbmally and hydro s3
Some awesome work as always Ian, your giving this one as much love and respect as you did to the gorgeous mk1 TT

Some awesome work as always Ian, your giving this one as much love and respect as you did to the gorgeous mk1 TT

Thank you mate, much appreciated.

Never added a picture of my TT to this thread but here she is, bought after I sold my Merlin Purple S3 in 2012 as a temporary stop gap until I found something I really fancied and I kept it 7 years and did 100k in it taking it from 56k to 158k.

Only sold it as we had our son on the way and it wasn't going to work, even as just my daily driver.

A3kktpz

That's enough reminiscing anyway :) Took the S3 to a meet yesterday moring, always a good excuse for a quick clean!

IMG 20211121 105407

Reactions: hydro s3, s3mad_dude and Jcbmally
Oooh love a red S3. I’m a big Noggy fan but initially I was after a Misano red 8L back in the day. Never found one so ended up getting a Noggy.

Looks great Ian. Nice to see an example well cared for instead of just getting chavved up.

Oooh love a red S3. I’m a big Noggy fan but initially I was after a Misano red 8L back in the day. Never found one so ended up getting a Noggy.

Looks great Ian. Nice to see an example well cared for instead of just getting chavved up.

Cheers bud, can't go wrong with a Noggy S3 either really can you :nogarors4:

Reactions: s3mad_dude
that side on view looks like fresh out of a showroom...cant say the same about the dustbin next to it!
As much as I love red, i would never go for a red car. I had my Ford RS2000 venetian red - just as gleaming for about 3 years (years ago!), but I felt it spent more time in garages from accidents then on the road! btw, all of which were non-fault.

• Haha
Reactions: Ian W and hydro s3
Ian, what kit did you use to restore the headlamps? Did you do them in situ or remove them? I need to get mine done, main beam pattern is a bit pants.

Ian, what kit did you use to restore the headlamps? Did you do them in situ or remove them? I need to get mine done, main beam pattern is a bit pants.

I didn't use a specific kit as I had all the required bits already, process was done with the headlights on the car, just masked around them
Can't recall the exact grades but something along the lines of..

Wet and Dry
1000 going from left to right
1500 going from top to bottom
2000 going from left to right
3000 going from top to bottom

DA Polisher
Using a cutting pad and some Menzerna compound with a decent cut, removed the hazing.
Using a polishing pad and some polishing compound, bring the clarity back.

Once I was happy with the finish, I protected with some 3M Headlight clearcoat wipe.

Well worth doing, if you haven't got a DA polisher, I think you can get attachments for a drill.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Reactions: MPH
Little update on the old S3 since I have had it a year now :D

Was due the MOT, went in hoping for the best and wasn't too disappointed, failed on front tyres which wasn't a problem as it was the excuse I needed to replace the worn out fronts and the ditch finders on the rear. Ordered a full set of Michelin PS4's and the car is transformed, so much more confidence in it now. I've got a 4 wheel alignment booked for January so I need to get my adjustable tie bars fitted as soon as I can.

MOT also picked up a small oil leak which I think is from a power steering pipe so i'll check that out in due course.

Car thanked me for the new rubber yesterday by deciding to break the window regulator on the drivers window while on the motorway in torrential rain, in the dark, so when I got home I had to strip the door card off and get it back up, got there in the end and I unplugged the motor so I can't accidently put it down again! A job for the new year....

Just wish I had the time and the weather for a deep clean and coat of wax!

Reactions: hydro s3 and MPH
Little update on the old S3 since I have had it a year now :D

Was due the MOT, went in hoping for the best and wasn't too disappointed, failed on front tyres which wasn't a problem as it was the excuse I needed to replace the worn out fronts and the ditch finders on the rear. Ordered a full set of Michelin PS4's and the car is transformed, so much more confidence in it now. I've got a 4 wheel alignment booked for January so I need to get my adjustable tie bars fitted as soon as I can.

MOT also picked up a small oil leak which I think is from a power steering pipe so i'll check that out in due course.

Car thanked me yesterday but deciding to break the window regulator on the drivers window while on the motorway in torrential rain, in the dark so when I got home I had to strip the door card off and get it back up, got there in the end and I unplugged the motor so I can't accidently put it down again...a job for the new year....

Just wish I had the time and the weather for a deep clean and wax of it!
Window regulator on the motorway how annoying

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Window regulator on the motorway how annoying

I think it is the third or fourth one I have had broke during my multiple S3 ownership and I knew as soon as I heard the noise and thought nooooo, not now and every click of the button it moved up then shot down further :tearsofjoy:

Adjustable tie bars fitted this afternoon in preparation for the wheel alignment next week.

IMG 20211228 151030

Reactions: s3mad_dude
Good work Ian.

What springs do you have fitted (how low is that) and what spacers also? Assuming they’re the genuine ET33 9-spokes.

It looks really good. Love a tasty OEM+ :sign yum:

Good work Ian.

What springs do you have fitted (how low is that) and what spacers also? Assuming they’re the genuine ET33 9-spokes.

It looks really good. Love a tasty OEM+ :sign yum:

Thanks mate :)

It is on H&R springs which I think are 35mm, spacers are 15mm front and 20mm rear and yes, genuine RSTT wheels.

For me it sits perfect, I do absolutely love a low car but the S3 suits a more purposeful stance rather than slammed, IMO of course.

In other news, had the alignment done last week, steering wheel is now straight and it drives lovely, plus no concerns on premature tyre wear.

IMG 20220110 064305

I moved house early December and the run up to that was manic so the car hadn't been washed for a few months and was really showing it, bought myself a new wheel brush for Christmas so treated it to a deep clean yesterday.

IMG 20220109 110824

IMG 20220109 124834

Last year I gave it a quick run over with the machine polisher to brighten it up but I think this springtime I will go for a bit of a correction polish on it.

Reactions: S3AMJ, MPH and Jcbmally
Congratulations on the move, new year new start.
Car looks great :icon thumright: , now should I have one as a weekend car:whistle2:

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Ian W
Investigated an ongoing drip this weekend, as I expected it is from the power steering cooler pipe at the front so new one ordered and that will get done this weekend.

Fitted myself a Forge weighted gear knob, had one in my TT and they improve the feel of the shifter a lot for a very simple mod so very happy with that, it has taken me a year to find one, should have kept my last one which I sold for less than half what I paid for this one, always the way!

Couple of pictures as I thought it was looking nice on the drive :)

IMG 20220116 101609

IMG 20220116 101619

IMG 20220116 101627

Reactions: Jcbmally and MPH
Investigated an ongoing drip this weekend, as I expected it is from the power steering cooler pipe at the front so new one ordered and that will get done this weekend.

Fitted myself a Forge weighted gear knob, had one in my TT and they improve the feel of the shifter a lot for a very simple mod so very happy with that, it has taken me a year to find one, should have kept my last one which I sold for less than half what I paid for this one, always the way!

Couple of pictures as I thought it was looking nice on the drive :)

View attachment 248633

View attachment 248634

View attachment 248635
So no pictures of the shifter knob well I was going to crack a joke of there lol

Reactions: Jcbmally and Ian W
So no pictures of the shifter knob well I was going to crack a joke of there lol

No mate, not sure why I didn't take one.

Don't worry, there isn't a "big knob" joke I haven't used with my wife since I had it delivered on Saturday morning :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Jcbmally and MPH
Power steering coolant pipe replaced yesterday, will be monitoring for drips this week as i'm not convinced something else isn't weeping under there....

Any more leaks ?

Any more leaks ?

There was actually after I fitted the replacement pipes :/ Probably even worse than it was but I moved the jubilee clips to a different position and that cured it :)

Cam cover gasket next (I think) as I am getting a little drip of oil coming from somewhere but need to confirm.

There was actually after I fitted the replacement pipes :/ Probably even worse than it was but I moved the jubilee clips to a different position and that cured it :)

Cam cover gasket next (I think) as I am getting a little drip of oil coming from somewhere but need to confirm.
Probably the U shaped one just below the camshaft chain tensioner weeped on mine for a good while even after I changed the cylinder head cover one so when it got done again https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/1997-201/1/103-103050/ changed it number 14 in the link no more drips!

Probably the U shaped one just below the camshaft chain tensioner weeped on mine for a good while even after I changed the cylinder head cover one so when it got done again https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a3+s3+sportb+lim+qu/a3/1997-201/1/103-103050/ changed it number 14 in the link no more drips!

Thanks, you are correct, could well be that, really need to take a good look at it, lighter nights will be here shortly making all these things a lot easier!

Glad you got it sorted mate, I’m sure you’ll be on top of the oil leak shortly

Spent a bit of time on the S3 today, with the nice weather this week, I really wanted my window sorted so cracked on with that first. Although this is my fourth S3, it is the first time I have done this job, easier than I thought, was all done within an hour.

Stripped
IMG 20220415 112740

The offending clip
IMG 20220415 125922

New clips fitted

IMG 20220415 115236

I'm working my way around the car with the DA when a get an hour here or there but was able to get the full passenger side done today, driver side was last weekend! Coming up well I must say..

IMG 20220415 130030

IMG 20220415 171120

IMG 20220415 171157

A bit more machine polishing tomorrow morning all being well.

Reactions: s3mad_dude, S3AMJ, MPH and 1 other person
Spent a bit of time on the S3 today, with the nice weather this week, I really wanted my window sorted so cracked on with that first. Although this is my fourth S3, it is the first time I have done this job, easier than I thought, was all done within an hour.

Stripped
View attachment 252994

The offending clip
View attachment 252996

New clips fitted

View attachment 252995

I'm working my way around the car with the DA when a get an hour here or there but was able to get the full passenger side done today, driver side was last weekend! Coming up well I must say..

View attachment 252997

View attachment 252998

View attachment 252999

Looking good Ian.

Stripped
View attachment 252994

The offending clip
View attachment 252996

New clips fitted

View attachment 252995

View attachment 252997

View attachment 252998

View attachment 252999

Good work mate! Car is still looking epic! You’ve been very lucky to get away without having to do the window regulator for so long! Catches up with all of us at some point. I was equally surprised how easy it was to do as well when mine went.

Great work as ever mate, excellent job, and polishing up well

Stripped
View attachment 252994

The offending clip
View attachment 252996

New clips fitted

View attachment 252995

View attachment 252997

View attachment 252998

View attachment 252999

I just came across this one and I do wonder how many of us have after removing the door subframe have tightened the bolts in the correct order? I was not one of them lol!
Door Subframe
Bolt Order 2 10 6 3

Took a few weeks but finished the machine polishing, back to looking nice and fresh now.

Don't have time for waxing it reguarly these days so went with Fusso 99 for that long lasting protection.

First time trying to get it in my new garage to wax it, fitted in, just about but handy for when I come to do my cam cover gasket in the next few weeks.

Will try and get some better pictures on the next sunny day :)

IMG 20220501 182926

IMG 20220501 182944

IMG 20220501 183003

Reactions: s3mad_dude, S3AMJ and MPH
Took a few weeks but finished the machine polishing, back to looking nice and fresh now.

Don't have time for waxing it reguarly these days so went with Fusso 99 for that long lasting protection.

First time trying to get it in my new garage to wax it, fitted in, just about but handy for when I come to do my cam cover gasket in the next few weeks.

Will try and get some better pictures on the next sunny day :)

View attachment 253763

View attachment 253764

View attachment 253765
Looking good

Protecting it from the elements will save you some time in the long run mate fits in there nicely!

Car was up in the air so I could access underneath so I thought it was a good excuse to clean the inner arches and give the wheels a couple of coats of wax.

IMG 20220515 201136

IMG 20220515 201147

IMG 20220515 201206

IMG 20220515 201256

Will be doing the rears sometime this week hopefully.

Reactions: MPH, S3 Rav and s3mad_dude