Sportback Back in an Audi - RS3 this time

TheFiftheElement

Reaction score
I did post a few weeks ago, but my thread mysteriously disappeared :blush: .. so I thought I'd wait until I've had the car a few weeks before posting some impressions ..

Some history: I had an S3 Sportback when I first joined Audi Sport. It was a Sepang S-tronic with a few options. I kept the car 14 months. It was quick, but a bit characterless. I didn't like the handling on B-roads, the 4 pot was effective but sounded crap, and I wish I hadn't gone for Sepang Blue. It had just hit the £550 option list when I spec'd my car so there weren't too many about at the time. Now every one seems to be blue.

I part-ex'd it for 987.2 Boxster S. Had a Carnewal exhaust fitted. Epic sound but the missus then changed her car for an MX-5 so I needed to get something more sensible. Picked up an F30 335i. Nice car but a little dull, and unlike it seems everyone else I didn't really like the noise from the 6 pot even with the MPE exhaust. I then went old school with a 2007 STi - lasted 3 months as a) was a bit rough and ready and b) the ideal spec Mustang 5.0 GT appeared in Inverness. Awesome noise, great GT car but we were moving house and I could walk to work so it got traded for a wee JCW. I had the pro-exhaust fitted :whistle2: - what a nuts sound for a 4 pot. It proved too small and too harsh for our crap roads so ...

I set out to find a nice sounding practical car, that's not too expensive to run. It had to be manual, and I didn't want another black car (it's not by choice really as I typically buy 2-3 year old cars and the colour choice can sometimes be limited - the BMW, Mustang and JCW were all black) ..

Anyway I've now picked up a one owner Audi franchise 16 plate RS3 at my local dealer. It's Mythos black :blink: and S-tronic :blink: I could have travelled further for a non black car but the spec was pretty good and I got a great deal as long as it was registered before the 1st April.

I'm hoping with the 5 pot and the mag ride my previous annoyances with the S3 will be removed (sound and handling).

It's reasonably well spec'd. I'm missing 2 options I would have liked (the SS seats, and the aluminium optics pack) but I do have the comfort and sound, tech and dynamic packs. With no optics pack, the titanium rotor alloys and black hiding the extended arches it looks pretty much like an A3 (which I like) apart from the huge oval pipes.

My impressions after a few weeks are, it's errrrr rapid. The 5 pot is a delight although I wish the flaps would stay open in 3rd/4th rather than just open up above 3.5/4K revs. The wee JCW was louder and popped and banged more :whistle2:

The mag ride is a massive improvement over my 2015 S3 8V standard suspension. In comfort it's also quite good at smoothing out the roads in town up here in Aberdeen. The 7 speed box is also an improvement over the 6 speed.

It's currently sitting at a detailers awaiting a wash/HD wax so I will get some pics when I get it back, and then I'm having the chrome around the front grill wrapped black.

Mods I'm considering so far are remap (Revo dealer is close), secondary decat, valve controller for exhaust although I'm wondering if this is something I can add with the remap (i.e. can I have the remap open the flaps all the time in dynamic) and I may wrap the front blade and rear diffuser to mimic the optics pack :huh:

Anyway, I hope I am welcomed back and this one lasts a bit longer than my normal car ownership period :sadlike:

Reactions: Radman, jimojameso, NevMan and 4 others
Hi, welcome back. Look forward to pics of the car. :)

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
And I thought I chopped and changed my cars a lot!

Remap transforms the RS3 so if you think it’s quick stock, get ready to be blown away! I have Revo stage 1 on mine (FL engine) but it means the flaps are always open in dynamic. It’s great. I’d assume they do the same for the FL but I can’t say for sure.

Get the secondary decat pipes. About £150 and a quick, popular job...then it will sound louder than the JCW!

Reactions: TheFiftheElement and NevMan
And I thought I chopped and changed my cars a lot!

Remap transforms the RS3 so if you think it’s quick stock, get ready to be blown away! I have Revo stage 1 on mine (FL engine) but it means the flaps are always open in dynamic. It’s great. I’d assume they do the same for the FL but I can’t say for sure.

Get the secondary decat pipes. About £150 and a quick, popular job...then it will sound louder than the JCW!
stage 1 on the TTRS?!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

I have a valve controller - AVC I think it’s called - amazing and controllable - not cheap at £400 ish but I love it!

Reactions: Terminator x and rdj
Why the funny look for the S-Tronic? Not like you get a choice in the matter...

Either didn't know or forgotten! Must be a flying machine now!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
O-60/100mph in 3.0/7.0s flat... not too bad! ;)

And now up for sale. Fancy a 911...

Reactions: Terminator x and NevMan
Why the funny look for the S-Tronic? Not like you get a choice in the matter...

Because I was adamant I didn't want a manual car. I know there's no choice with the RS3.

I typically don't get on too well with auto boxes. I've had a torque converter (X5) - too slow to change, hate the slur and bump, S-Tronic (6 speed) - good, a bit keen to change up, can get caught out asking for multiple changes, PDK - the best I've had, much more intuitive knowing what gear I want it in and the stick shifts the right way, ZF Auto 8 speed - to be honest too many gears to use manually and that detracts from the fun when I want a bit of a hoon and now back in an S-Tronic.

I do drive in manual quite a lot but still don't think I'm as comfortable with it as a good manual, and it's certainly less interactive. I now do a lot of town driving with my daughter to various clubs etc. and it is easier but I think I'm just an old school manual guy :D

Thanks to all for the warm welcome

Reactions: NevMan
Hehe .. it's away getting detailed just now. Will try and get some pics over the weekend :D

Reactions: NevMan
3 4 6

Here are some iPhone pics. The detailer was impressed with the condition of the paint on the car (it's 3 years old). There are a few minor chips on the bonnet and some hazy light scratches on the rear bumper, caused I suspect by loading items in and out of the boot without being overly careful. Nothing that's going to mess with my OCD though :D

As you can see though, it's a fairly plain looking RS3. Black on black. I'm getting the chrome surround on the grill wrapped as a temporary measure on Thursday.

If they do a decent job, I may consider getting the front blade wrapped along with the rear diffuser.

Does my car have the same bumper/diffuser as one with the optics pack?

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin