back from nurburgring need break upgrade. HELP.

cpbrad

Reaction score
Just got back from the green hell last night and had the best few days ever. Was absolutely amazing. If you haven't done it. DO IT.

My mapped and decatted a4 b7 2.0 tdi needs better breaks.. they faded soooo quick lol.

I have found a full set of a4 b8 3.0tdi disks pads calipers and carriers. Will they fit my a4? I have 17 inch standard alloys on her at The moment.

I want to order them asap so any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Anyone done this or know what I would need to make them fit?

Pretty sure the B8 isnt a direct fit to the B7, the carriers are different. Anything from the B7 will obviously fit, porsche cayenne's among others will also fit with the right carriers!

And just to be a troll its 'brakes' :rockwoot:

The B8 3.0 tdi brakes are essentially the same as the S4 B8 brakes so research into this pick up more answers.
I know that they say that the S4/3.0 tdi brakes won't fit behind anything under 18"

You won't be able to fit the B8 brake discs on a B7. The B8 has 66mm hubs where as the B7 is 57.1mm.
I am not sure if the B8 calipers will fit on a B7.
I have S4/S5 brakes front and rear on my car and I run 17 inch rims, the 345mm brake setup was designed to fit under 17 inch rims.
If you are going to go on a track you need a decent big brake set up with the right pads and also some cooling ducts/ pipes to get some cold air to the brakes.

Reactions: 45bvtc and kanecullen89
Really great full for the feedback. Thanks for the spelling correction too ;)

I have just found some 2005 A8 D3 3.0tdi calipers and carriers.. does anyone know if they will fit?

I have had a search but don't really understand a lot of what I'd wrote so if someone knows it would be great..

The ducts to the brakes is a great idea actually and yes I'm going back to the ring later this year :)

I'd go with cayennes with the merc ml55 discs. Perfect for the ring. Atleast then if you have any more issues you can just convert to a 2 piece disc.

You won't be able to fit the B8 brake discs on a B7. The B8 has 66mm hubs where as the B7 is 57.1mm.
I am not sure if the B8 calipers will fit on a B7.

The part of the hub that the discs mount to are both 68mm for B6, B7 and B8, The above dimensions are for where the wheel mounts not the discs.

To answer your question yes they'll fit, guys in the states have done B8 S4s onto B6 and B7s. The only issue being the wiring for the pad sensor, these differ between B7 and B8.
Have to echo the above comments tho, still only a single piston caliper and will be a heavy set up. Cayenne conversion's probably the best bang for buck brake upgrade, did mine for just over £500 for everything.

Reactions: V6 Quatt
Thats good news then, I am sure I read somewhere that they wouldn't fit a B7, had a quick look on brakepart.co.uk and as you say the mounting hole is 68mm, the offset looks slightly different between the B7 and B8 the disc height on a B7 IS 47mm on a B8 it's 52mm.
Did a bit of googling and the B8 S4/S5 caliper does fit the B6/B7 but because of the offset you need to use a B7 S4 345*30mm disc.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/402117-B8-S4-Calipers-B7-S4-Rotors-Installed

I would have thought that kind of setup on a 2.0 TDI would be fine especially with some brake cooling ducts and the right pads.
The Cayenne multi pot setup would be better but I am not convinced you would see much difference on your car, they are lighter which helps unsprung weight and multi pot calipers don't tend to drag the pads as much so cool quicker, plus you have more pad area.

Karl.

So what carriers would I require for the cayenne calipers?

Don't forget to upgrade your brake fluid as well, ATE Blue has a very high boiling point and works well with VAG brakes.

Thanks soot. I have been browsing though to see what's the best fluid. I'll take a look at that stuff..

Looking into all this and bang for buck I have decided to go with keeping my calipers and just upgrading the discs, pads, lines and break fluid.

My final question though is..

What is the largest size disc and carrier can i get for my current calipers?

My car is a 2007 2.0tdi with what I think is 280mm discs up front

All I can find is 312mm carrier upgrade.. but I'd like the 320mm...

312's will make a big difference compared to your 280's. Funny enough, the pad area in contact with the disc is the same but the difference is that the braking area is moved further away from the centre of the axle therefore creating more braking torque.
It's an upgrade I did on my Skoda sometime ago and with Pagid brakes, ATE fluid, better braking was immediately noticed.

Cyrix.. haha sorry mate

euro car parts are cheaper than you though... seriously..

I'll have them for the right price.. if they fit under 17''s. .

No worries.

The 320mm calipers are £79.20 each from ECP, that doesn't include the caliper mounting brackets though. The Discs/Pads on the ones I have are pretty new to be honest.

They will fit under 17's fine, reluctant to budge on price, purely as if they don't sell I will stick them on my new B7 at some point.

That's fine mate. Purely cost wise I am just going to keep my eyes open for some 312 carriers.

If you change your mind. Let me know..

Thanks for all the help guys

The part of the hub that the discs mount to are both 68mm for B6, B7 and B8, The above dimensions are for where the wheel mounts not the discs.

To answer your question yes they'll fit, guys in the states have done B8 S4s onto B6 and B7s. The only issue being the wiring for the pad sensor, these differ between B7 and B8.
Have to echo the above comments tho, still only a single piston caliper and will be a heavy set up. Cayenne conversion's probably the best bang for buck brake upgrade, did mine for just over £500 for everything.

Echo that they will fit..I sold the whole set up to my mate months ago