B9 S5 Engine Whining Noise

DaytonaGrey123

Reaction score
Had my S5 about a week. It's developed this 'whining' sound from the engine hard to tell which area. Started happening this morning and i worked out that it is not there when the car warms up to normal temperature (or if it is i carnt hear it) it's consistent when at idle and when applying the pedal

Still under manufacturers warranty so i'm going to get it looked at asap but for now does anyone have any ideas? Link below

Thanks

Sorry can't help ID but can confirm my S5 doesn't sound like that! Sounds like a rattling to me, tinny
But I'm the complete opposite of good with these things so will let more qualified post their thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Booked in tomorrow. Two at work have suggested fan belt but my knowledge doesn't go far beyond opening the bonnet in all honesty.

I'll update this thread when I know more

I think that's more "squeak" than "whine". I suspect a premature failure of pulley or tensioner wheel in the auxilllary drive system.
BTW your car does not have a belt-driven fan - that's rather old tech.

Two at work have suggested fan belt b
My 1st thought was that as well! Chances are they will spray some wd40 around the moving parts and try that...if it works expect it to come back at a later date!

Just an update. Got the car back from audi works complete.

They have removed and replaced V belt & tensioner with associated bolts. Seems to have done the trick

Reactions: S32B
My A5 2.0 Quattro needed new alternator belt and tensioners at 17,000 miles! Think they need a design review

Had my S5 about a week. It's developed this 'whining' sound from the engine hard to tell which area. Started happening this morning and i worked out that it is not there when the car warms up to normal temperature (or if it is i carnt hear it) it's consistent when at idle and when applying the pedal

Still under manufacturers warranty so i'm going to get it looked at asap but for now does anyone have any ideas? Link below

Thanks

I feel like I have same problem but can’t watch your video. Is it possible if you can give me access to the vid. Did you get the problem sorted out?

Apologies mate only just seeing this now so you've probably got it sorted i'm guessing. Got mine fixed under warranty carnt remember exactly the part it was maybe auxiliary belt? The modern day equivalent of a fan belt (i'm told)