1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B9 S5 Engine Whining Noise

DaytonaGrey123 Sep 4, 2019

1. DaytonaGrey123

DaytonaGrey123 New Member

Had my S5 about a week. It's developed this 'whining' sound from the engine hard to tell which area. Started happening this morning and i worked out that it is not there when the car warms up to normal temperature (or if it is i carnt hear it) it's consistent when at idle and when applying the pedal

Still under manufacturers warranty so i'm going to get it looked at asap but for now does anyone have any ideas? Link below

Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Adam14

Adam14 Well-Known Member Team Glacier Team V6 Audi S5 Coupe

Sorry can't help ID but can confirm my S5 doesn't sound like that! Sounds like a rattling to me, tinny
    But I'm the complete opposite of good with these things so will let more qualified post their thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. V6 Quatt

V6 Quatt Well-Known Member

Take it to dealers sounds loud. Hard to tell.

5. DaytonaGrey123

Booked in tomorrow. Two at work have suggested fan belt but my knowledge doesn't go far beyond opening the bonnet in all honesty.

I'll update this thread when I know more

6. Dippy

Dippy Well-Known Member Team Monsoon Audi S5 Black Edition

I think that's more "squeak" than "whine". I suspect a premature failure of pulley or tensioner wheel in the auxilllary drive system.
    BTW your car does not have a belt-driven fan - that's rather old tech.

7. S32B

S32B Well-Known Member Audi A5 S tronic Coupe

My 1st thought was that as well! Chances are they will spray some wd40 around the moving parts and try that...if it works expect it to come back at a later date!

8. DaytonaGrey123

Just an update. Got the car back from audi works complete.

They have removed and replaced V belt & tensioner with associated bolts. Seems to have done the trick

S32B likes this.