B9 S4 towbar

Paddyh747

Reaction score
i know I’m making a sin just asking the question. I know you can get a towbar for them has anyone got one fitted. Have a towbar on the wife q3 for the Caravan.
I use the s4 for work and have been considering fitting one as I’d prefer towing with the s4. Wouldn’t fit one if it’s not 100% hidden like the q3.
Wear from towing for me isn’t an issue as the car is on a 2 year lease.

I have a tow bar on the S4 as will be using it to carry bikes. Not used it yet but it hides away nicely behind the front bumper. Wouldn’t know it was there. Then simple click of the switch in the boot and it drops down for you to lock into place. I can take some pictures tomorrow in the light if you want?

Did you get it fitted as a factory option or aftermarket?
I know a lot of people will say I’m mad using the s4 to tow a Caravan but I don’t see the point in not using it.

Was added at the factory. If you spec the rear view camera you also get a trailer assist where it puts a line on the screen to show where the tow bar is and moves when you move the steering wheel to aid with lining up.

Mine will be aftermarket as I’ve had the car a few months. Love the idea of the automatic release just not sure if I can get that aftermarket. Will need to make a few calls tomorrow.

Main reason I added it from factory was that it was hidden away but always there if I needed it. Not a cheap option but worth it.

I got a cancelled order when I got mine so couldn’t get it as an option. Got it in 2 weeks as opposed to 6 months.

Some pics of the factory spec towbar

No towbar visible..

IMG 4736

Switch in the boot to unlock the towbar

IMG 4737

Extra stickers regarding the towbar

IMG 4738

Towbar hidden away..

IMG 4740

when released.

IMG 4741

locked into place

IMG 4742
IMG 4743

Reactions: Bristle Hound
They all come with towbar prep.

No idea what that means

Aftermarket isn't visible when not in use, although it is a manual installation of the bar when you need it.
Pretty sure the hole was already there on mine although its not an S4.
Towbar prep doesn't seem to include much as you still need an electronic box for the installation.

I guess prep means there is a hole in the rear valance, all the mounts predrilled and tapped and the module plugs into the wiring system with adjustment within the mmi so it knows when a traiker is hitched up..

I have a tow bar on the S4 as will be using it to carry bikes. Not used it yet but it hides away nicely behind the front bumper. Wouldn’t know it was there. Then simple click of the switch in the boot and it drops down for you to lock into place. I can take some pictures tomorrow in the light if you want?

lol... novel audi features hiding towbar behind front bumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Def no cutout in the s4 bumper suppose worst case cut valance underneath and replace it before the car goes back.
Been quoted under £400 for detachable think I can live with manually putting bar on. Car goes back June 19 so no sense spending over £1000 at audi. He can also code it properly to the car for an extra £100 for the proper module.

Def no cutout in the s4 bumper suppose worst case cut valance underneath and replace it before the car goes back.
Been quoted under £400 for detachable think I can live with manually putting bar on. Car goes back June 19 so no sense spending over £1000 at audi. He can also code it properly to the car for an extra £100 for the proper module.

I was under the impression that all new 4/5's had all the wiring there and ready to go. Awful memories with a new 4 Cab 3.0 that also required bigger cooling system. Fortunately Audi paid. I would be interested in details of towbar for £400 and if it would fit my RS4 when it arrives. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car has towbar prep I know that Much. Spoke to audi and def need to cut the rear valance but worst case when car goes back I can remove towbar and a new valance is around £145.
It’s a guy I know will do it under £400. Say £500 with proper audi module. Another quoted £630.
No way I’m paying £1200 for the convenience of hitting a button to drop the towbar down. Car goes back in a year and a half so not worth it.

Car has towbar prep I know that Much. Spoke to audi and def need to cut the rear valance but worst case when car goes back I can remove towbar and a new valance is around £145.
It’s a guy I know will do it under £400. Say £500 with proper audi module. Another quoted £630.
No way I’m paying £1200 for the convenience of hitting a button to drop the towbar down. Car goes back in a year and a half so not worth it.
Any update on this? Did you do it? Would be interested to see some pics. Audi must offer a rear valance with the cut out?

Are there any more experiences on the forum of getting an aftermarket towbar (removable manually) fitted to a B9 S4?

Interested to hear costs including fitting and what cutting is required to the rear bumper

I had aftermarket fitted to a B8 by Britannia towbars in Bristol. (Tony the boss is very knowledgeable) Audi sorted it and supplied genuine Westphalia parts as supplied to Audi. As long as it looks right I can see no problem but not 100% sure what the bumper differences are for towbar fitment. Cheers Rick

Reactions: Andy S4 Avant
I had aftermarket fitted to a B8 by Britannia towbars in Bristol. (Tony the boss is very knowledgeable) Audi sorted it and supplied genuine Westphalia parts as supplied to Audi. As long as it looks right I can see no problem but not 100% sure what the bumper differences are for towbar fitment. Cheers Rick

Thanks - will give them a try

Anyone know the wiring configuration for the button?

Mine just plugs into the Wibutec wiring loom - the reason I think that mine isn’t working is that I’ve been provided a F control unit and the towbar is a D variety. I’ve ordered a D control until and we’ll see what happens

What coding have you used for the Trailer module [69]?

For a factory fit it should be 0110000202000000

Byte 2 is 00 which in VCDS says Button none but I have the boot release button as shown in the top of this thread. Can someone confirm what the coding should be with this button as it’s still not working

I will be doing this install soon and have a complete loom coming from a different source. I will add any findings I have to it and provide feedback on the loom detail for the switch. It may just be a wiring problem. The module I have sourced will be a used item so will see what code is in that from factory.

So I am now in the exact same position as you Daniel, all installed coded no faults and will not work with the switch. I suspect its a module issue as I tried to release with the output test using VCDS. Did you get the module ending in D and have any more success?

The module that arrived came with coding 0100010202000000

Now all installed and working 100% with the module with part number ending in D.

i know I’m making a sin just asking the question. I know you can get a towbar for them has anyone got one fitted. Have a towbar on the wife q3 for the Caravan.
I use the s4 for work and have been considering fitting one as I’d prefer towing with the s4. Wouldn’t fit one if it’s not 100% hidden like the q3.
Wear from towing for me isn’t an issue as the car is on a 2 year lease.

Sorry for the thread resurrection, was wondering how you got on towing with the S4? I've just taken delivery of a 2017 S4 Avant and have had the factory tow bar fitted. I'm off down to Cornwall with it next week and a bit nervous about how its going to behave and how much fuel its going to drink! Just got rid of a 530D tourer which was pretty good at towing (largely due to the self levelling rear suspension) and thought I'd give it a go with the s4 before getting a tow bar fitted to my wife's X3.

Thanks!

Tim

Well guess there isn't much interest here (not really surprising!) but I've just been out for a test run so thought I'd post my results in case anyone else is interested in the future. I've just been for a little run down the motorway towing our caravan which has a MTPLM of 1576KG and is fairly well loaded with all our rubbish. I averaged 18MPG which I'm pretty impressed with actually. I saw a thread the other day from someone who got 8 which made me rather nervous!
I wouldn't say its a wonderful towing experience, certainly not compared to my 530D which had self-levelling suspension. The S4 suspension is a bit firm anyway of course and all that extra preload doesn't help! That said, it was fine on the motorway. Just a bit bumpy on some bits of A road.

Still a quick car even with that weight on the back, the 3 series that tried to undertake me onto the motorway was a bit confused I think when I whizzed past him!

Anywho, if anyone is interested, happy to answer questions. Not sure I'll tow with it long term as worried about the affect on the suspension but it will get me to Cornwall next week without bankrupting me which was the main aim :)

Tim

Reactions: MattS5 and Bristle Hound