1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B9 S4 towbar

Paddyh747 Nov 19, 2017

1. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

i know I’m making a sin just asking the question. I know you can get a towbar for them has anyone got one fitted. Have a towbar on the wife q3 for the Caravan.
    I use the s4 for work and have been considering fitting one as I’d prefer towing with the s4. Wouldn’t fit one if it’s not 100% hidden like the q3.
    Wear from towing for me isn’t an issue as the car is on a 2 year lease.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Robbe

Robbe Well-Known Member Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S4 Audi A4

I have a tow bar on the S4 as will be using it to carry bikes. Not used it yet but it hides away nicely behind the front bumper. Wouldn’t know it was there. Then simple click of the switch in the boot and it drops down for you to lock into place. I can take some pictures tomorrow in the light if you want?

4. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

Did you get it fitted as a factory option or aftermarket?
    I know a lot of people will say I’m mad using the s4 to tow a Caravan but I don’t see the point in not using it.

5. Robbe

Was added at the factory. If you spec the rear view camera you also get a trailer assist where it puts a line on the screen to show where the tow bar is and moves when you move the steering wheel to aid with lining up.

6. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

Mine will be aftermarket as I’ve had the car a few months. Love the idea of the automatic release just not sure if I can get that aftermarket. Will need to make a few calls tomorrow.

7. Robbe

Main reason I added it from factory was that it was hidden away but always there if I needed it. Not a cheap option but worth it.

8. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

I got a cancelled order when I got mine so couldn’t get it as an option. Got it in 2 weeks as opposed to 6 months.

9. Robbe

Some pics of the factory spec towbar

No towbar visible..

IMG_4736.JPG

Switch in the boot to unlock the towbar

IMG_4737.JPG
    Extra stickers regarding the towbar

IMG_4738.JPG

Towbar hidden away..

IMG_4740.JPG

when released.

IMG_4741.JPG

locked into place

IMG_4742.JPG IMG_4743.JPG

10. JG220

JG220 Active Member Team Floret Silver Audi S4

They all come with towbar prep.

No idea what that means

11. hmy7k

hmy7k Active Member Team Floret Silver Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group

Aftermarket isn't visible when not in use, although it is a manual installation of the bar when you need it.
    Pretty sure the hole was already there on mine although its not an S4.
    Towbar prep doesn't seem to include much as you still need an electronic box for the installation.

12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

I guess prep means there is a hole in the rear valance, all the mounts predrilled and tapped and the module plugs into the wiring system with adjustment within the mmi so it knows when a traiker is hitched up..

14. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi RS3 Audi RS4 Audi S3 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic Audi A1

lol... novel audi features hiding towbar behind front bumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spaceman_RS3 likes this.
  15. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

Def no cutout in the s4 bumper suppose worst case cut valance underneath and replace it before the car goes back.
    Been quoted under £400 for detachable think I can live with manually putting bar on. Car goes back June 19 so no sense spending over £1000 at audi. He can also code it properly to the car for an extra £100 for the proper module.

16. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

There is a cutaway hole on my car and other owners have noted it...

17. RGBARGEE

RGBARGEE Well-Known Member Team Mythos Team Daytona Team Phantom Audi RS3 Audi RS4 Audi S3 Black Edition Navarra Blue Classic Audi A1

I was under the impression that all new 4/5's had all the wiring there and ready to go. Awful memories with a new 4 Cab 3.0 that also required bigger cooling system. Fortunately Audi paid. I would be interested in details of towbar for £400 and if it would fit my RS4 when it arrives. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Paddyh747

Paddyh747 Member

Car has towbar prep I know that Much. Spoke to audi and def need to cut the rear valance but worst case when car goes back I can remove towbar and a new valance is around £145.
    It’s a guy I know will do it under £400. Say £500 with proper audi module. Another quoted £630.
    No way I’m paying £1200 for the convenience of hitting a button to drop the towbar down. Car goes back in a year and a half so not worth it.

19. S4piper

S4piper 8L-8P-8V-B9

Any update on this? Did you do it? Would be interested to see some pics. Audi must offer a rear valance with the cut out?

20. Andy S4 Avant

Andy S4 Avant New Member

Are there any more experiences on the forum of getting an aftermarket towbar (removable manually) fitted to a B9 S4?

Interested to hear costs including fitting and what cutting is required to the rear bumper

21. RGBARGEE

I had aftermarket fitted to a B8 by Britannia towbars in Bristol. (Tony the boss is very knowledgeable) Audi sorted it and supplied genuine Westphalia parts as supplied to Audi. As long as it looks right I can see no problem but not 100% sure what the bumper differences are for towbar fitment. Cheers Rick

Andy S4 Avant likes this.
  22. Andy S4 Avant

Andy S4 Avant New Member

Thanks - will give them a try

23. Daniel Orsborne

Daniel Orsborne New Member

Can you share your coding? Can't get my button to work

24. paul_w

paul_w New Member

Anyone know the wiring configuration for the button?

25. Daniel Orsborne

Mine just plugs into the Wibutec wiring loom - the reason I think that mine isn’t working is that I’ve been provided a F control unit and the towbar is a D variety. I’ve ordered a D control until and we’ll see what happens

26. paul_w

paul_w New Member

What coding have you used for the Trailer module [69]?

For a factory fit it should be 0110000202000000

27. Daniel Orsborne

Byte 2 is 00 which in VCDS says Button none but I have the boot release button as shown in the top of this thread. Can someone confirm what the coding should be with this button as it’s still not working

28. paul_w

paul_w New Member

29. Daniel Orsborne

I don’t have the chassis control module nor do I have any error/fault codes.

30. paul_w

paul_w New Member

I will be doing this install soon and have a complete loom coming from a different source. I will add any findings I have to it and provide feedback on the loom detail for the switch. It may just be a wiring problem. The module I have sourced will be a used item so will see what code is in that from factory.

31. paul_w

paul_w New Member

So I am now in the exact same position as you Daniel, all installed coded no faults and will not work with the switch. I suspect its a module issue as I tried to release with the output test using VCDS. Did you get the module ending in D and have any more success?

The module that arrived came with coding 0100010202000000

32. paul_w

paul_w New Member

Now all installed and working 100% with the module with part number ending in D.