B9 S4 or S6

TipToe

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

I have been considering both cars and for various reasons. I currently drive an Audi A6 BiTdi 64 plate which gets traded in for a FL Audi A3 2.0 TFSI Quattro in the next couple of weeks once they have made the car.

I love the A6 but want to go back to petrol and my love affair, if you could call it that with diesels has always been a frosted exchange. We set out originally to keep the A6 BiTdi and purchase a second car, well that ended up with us buying a new car and trading the A6 in when it is built.

A few years ago I owned a 64 plate Audi S4 from new which we only had 6 months, then we traded it in as we were broken into for the Audi S4 and Sharon my wife decided that she felt too uncomfortable with it on the drive. Fast forward 18 months and we have moved to another house with better security.

I have been looking at the second car purchase and obtained a satisfactory discount and deal on a new Audi S6 saloon. However, after much reflection I am beginning to ask myself if this is the right move? yes the S6 has more horses and other bits and bobs but the new Audi S4 is no snail and has lots of new technology which the S6 is lacking in terms of "New" technology.

when comparing finance packages and discounts which the Audi S6 is considerable when compared with S4 then the monthly payments are only £20 different. The S4 would be the avant and not saloon.

Just wondering which way other people would swing if given the choice.

Cheers Shaun

I'd go s4 for the technology.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would go S6 if its a new car you want but why not look for a second hand B8 RS4 or RS5 for the same money.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I considered the A6 Avant as well as the A4, much in the same way I considered a 5 series because of the discounts on offer (And the standard trim levels of the larger cars).

For me it came down to the fact that my previous car, an X-Type estate, which I purchased "nearly new" was in actual fact over 10 years old from an engine and a tech perspective. That in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing but it showed its "true" age very very quickly.

My expectation is that by buying a new (Technology speaking) car that it will stand the test of time better both from a use and a resale perspective.

You guessed it, Id go for the S4

Reactions: Brasso
Surely if you're looking at either a S4 Avant or a S6 saloon they're quite different beasts and it depends what you need? i.e. if you need the new tech and/or an estate car then go S4, if you need a big saloon and aren't bothered by the older tech go S6?

Surely if you're looking at either a S4 Avant or a S6 saloon they're quite different beasts and it depends what you need? i.e. if you need the new tech and/or an estate car then go S4, if you need a big saloon and aren't bothered by the older tech go S6?

Yes, I agree but there the problems lies. I am torn between the two requirements. Sometimes things are not as black and white as that and I wish they were. When you put them on paper with equal pros and cons the it becomes a stalemate, expensive decision to get wrong.

Exactly, so who are we to advise you when its down to a personal preference. I felt the same about all the choices I had when looking at a replacement for my A3 and I looked for months before deciding on the choice below. At the end of the day the choice is yours to make. Just think of how you would feel if everyone said buy an A4 then upon getting it you found you'd made an error. Its not fair on you or us...

Exactly, so who are we to advise you when its down to a personal preference. I felt the same about all the choices I had when looking at a replacement for my A3 and I looked for months before deciding on the choice below. At the end of the day the choice is yours to make. Just think of how you would feel if everyone said buy an A4 then upon getting it you found you'd made an error. Its not fair on you or us...

Sometimes you ask others opinions to validate your thoughts or to hear another perspective which maybe something I could have missed or not thought of.

At the end of the day the decision is mine and not once have I stated that I would hold anyone accountable if I made the wrong decision. But surely you can reach out to other car enthusiasts who may have experienced both cars or have greater knowledge then me.

I am not sure what was wrong with me asking...

Nothing wrong in asking at all, and my apologies if you interpreted my post as suggesting that. I am just trying to make the point that opinions are subjective and what is right for one person could be the complete opposite for another. But, from your post, you know that already...

Sometimes you ask others opinions to validate your thoughts or to hear another perspective which maybe something I could have missed or not thought of.

At the end of the day the decision is mine and not once have I stated that I would hold anyone accountable if I made the wrong decision. But surely you can reach out to other car enthusiasts who may have experienced both cars or have greater knowledge then me.

I am not sure what was wrong with me asking...

Absolutely nothing.
That is what these forums are designed for, surely.
I hope we can all keep asking and offering opinion and advice.

Depends on the use you have for the car, motorway use I would go S6, A/B Roads I would go S4.

Yes, I agree but there the problems lies. I am torn between the two requirements. Sometimes things are not as black and white as that and I wish they were. When you put them on paper with equal pros and cons the it becomes a stalemate, expensive decision to get wrong.

In that case I'd test drive both and go with whichever your gut feeling says you like best. :) For me it would be an easy decision, the A/S6 is just too big for me - I had one as a courtesy car once and it wouldn't fit in the garage (well, it would have with the wing mirrors retracted but I wouldn't have been able to open the doors), plus it felt a bit tank-like to drive compared to my A4.