B9 S4 Info Thread

Reactions: Despretine, xpoweruk, keenu and 1 other person
Found another on YouTube with a cam attached to the back. Already liking the sound it seems to pop and crackle on downshift more (kind of like the RS3 and RS6). Yes I'm a big kid and like these kind of noises

Reactions: Despretine, Addict, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Sounds (and looks) good to me. Given the fact that nobody has managed to crack the ECU on the 8.5 yet, I'm tempted to have a test drive when they come out. Does anyone have any more concrete idea on timing for the first dealer cars?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to know when they're even announcing pricing! I got overly excited when the site was down for maintenance earlier today because I thought they might be updating prices and things for new models (like the S4...), but no joy.

Chomping at the bit for the configurator to come online and to arrange a test drive!

Sounds (and looks) good to me. Given the fact that nobody has managed to crack the ECU on the 8.5 yet, I'm tempted to have a test drive when they come out.

Don't forget that the B9 is likely to have a 'new' ECU too so it might be a while before it is cracked. Now I'm sure that the B9 S4 will be a great car but the extra performance over the B8 S4 won't be astonishing, and certainly not the level you are looking for on a B8 stage 1.

Also one more point to consider is that the EA838 is a new engine. The stage 1 and 2 mods on the EA837 have been proven to be reliable. Mods on the ES838 have to be considered a risk. That's why I'm happy to get a stage 2 on my S5 now that it is over 1 year old (although I don't have the ****ing choice do I?), whereas if I bought a B9 S4 I'd be inclined to wait until the warranty expired before having any engine mods done.

The tdi's have been cracked, but then the engine is older but I don't know about the ecu, I just assume they're newer...

I found this article an interesting read, particularly concerning the higher compression ratio and use of valve lift. My original concerns about turbo lag have been somewhat dispelled and I'm ready to admit that the engine/transmission package in the B9 will be superior to what we have in the B8. However I don't think it will be a step-change and no matter how good the B9 might be I predict that when I get a chance to test drive a B9 S4 or S5 my reaction will be "yes it's good" but certainly not "wow".

The article also suggests that the RS4/5 will not in fact have a more developed version of this engine, but another one that will be shared by Porsche models. That leaves more questions than answers. For me I am now either desperately waiting for a stage 2 for my CREC engine or looking forward to upgrading from my B8 S5 to a B9 RS4. Anyone have any predictions about when we might get some real info about the next RS4?

Kinda strange because twin scrolled turbos have been around for years exactly to reduce turbo lag, especially with diesels which suffer from this worse...

Another engine review here. This one explains a bit more about how the Audi valvelift system switches between Otto and Miller cycles. It is starting to make me wonder if this engine will be more limited for tuning than had been expected. It clearly implies that the advantage of the twin-scroll turbo are due to the upper power limit of around 350hp.

Then I found this review of the new Panamera engine. If the comments are true then it is a disappointment - no electric compressor for the next RS4/RS5.

If the comments over on Audizine are to be believed then there are a lot of US customers there who simply will not buy one because there is no manual transmission option.

Can't see it online yet but Evo mag have reviewed both the S4 and S5 in this months magazine. Not sure if it's in the shops yet but I got mine through the door on Monday. Will post when I see it online! Generally a good review for both cars. They seem to think while the engine is very good, it's not quite as sharp as the outgoing model and that the new gearbox isn't quite as fast so maybe a slightly softer feel to the car. Overall a good review still.

The price for the S4 saloon looks to be on the Audi website but only when you logon with the mobile version of the site doesn't let you see it with the desktop version. No S4 Avant though:

£40,085 Standard
£41,160 Black edition
Not sure whether to believe it though was that the price of the old version? I was expecting it to be a lot more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160717-143422.png
    Screenshot_20160717-143422.png
    569 KB · Views: 305
I have a PDF of the April 2015 A4/S4 pricelist and the S4 Saloon Nav was £40,085 and the BE £41,160. I suspect that what you found there were not prices for the B9 but for that same B8.

The B9 S5 coupe is now listed on Audi's German website. I did a rough calculation and it appears that there is a 2.5% price increase over the B8. Also there did not seem to be any extra options included in that, e.g. virtual cockpit and LED matrix headlights are priced optional extras.

The S4 configurator and pricing is finally up on the German Audi website. It's going to be very easy to rack up a huge bill with all the options! Hopefully the UK price won't just be the EUR to GBP conversion...

Nice to know, thanks for sharing! :)

In terms of the options, I think that we will have a lot more standard features. The ones that jump out at me are the wheels (we have so far always gotten S4 specific wheels in the UK as far as I know), sports seats (I'm sure I read that these are standard in a review...) and the climate control that comes standard in all our cars I believe. With any luck the carbon trim will also be standard and save me shelling out for that too. ;)

Might not be quite as bad as the final price I managed to spec up on the German site. I hope.

The S4 configurator and pricing is finally up on the German Audi website. It's going to be very easy to rack up a huge bill with all the options! Hopefully the UK price won't just be the EUR to GBP conversion...
We have to face facts that following the Brexit vote the pound devalued by about 7.5% and if the B9 is about 2.5% more expensive than the B8 then buyers should expect to pay 10% more for a 2017 S4/S5 than in 2015/16. No point in waiting either as I can't see how we can avoid a 'tariff war' with the EU so German cars are just going to get more and more expensive for UK buyers.

Don't forget that the B9 is likely to have a 'new' ECU too so it might be a while before it is cracked. Now I'm sure that the B9 S4 will be a great car but the extra performance over the B8 S4 won't be astonishing, and certainly not the level you are looking for on a B8 stage 1.

Also one more point to consider is that the EA838 is a new engine. The stage 1 and 2 mods on the EA837 have been proven to be reliable. Mods on the ES838 have to be considered a risk. That's why I'm happy to get a stage 2 on my S5 now that it is over 1 year old (although I don't have the ****ing choice do I?), whereas if I bought a B9 S4 I'd be inclined to wait until the warranty expired before having any engine mods done.

Over at one of the US forums, there's report from APR that they have cracked the B9 ECU and a stage 1 tune isn't far away.

Over at one of the US forums, there's report from APR that they have cracked the B9 ECU and a stage 1 tune isn't far away.
It wasn't so long ago that I asked Arin from APR about the ECU on the B9 (it is a Bosch MG1) and he indicated that it was going to be a big effort to crack it. APR have a thread going on Audizine about their planned new stage 3 for the B8 - take a look at the comments. APR have a habit of tempting the market and then taking a long time to deliver.

Of course I am totally biased. Here I am waiting for a tuner to crack the B8.5+ ECU. If one manages to crack the B9 ECU first then I am for sure going to feel ****** about it :(

@Azz123 - I read an APR post on Audizine. They have cracked the ECU for the B9 2.0T. Of course that's a different ECU than is used on the S4.

I have a PDF of the April 2015 A4/S4 pricelist and the S4 Saloon Nav was £40,085 and the BE £41,160. I suspect that what you found there were not prices for the B9 but for that same B8.

The B9 S5 coupe is now listed on Audi's German website. I did a rough calculation and it appears that there is a 2.5% price increase over the B8. Also there did not seem to be any extra options included in that, e.g. virtual cockpit and LED matrix headlights are priced optional extras.
On the German configurator the S4 has the upgraded larger instrument cluster. Be a nice touch if that's included in the uk

@Azz123 - I read an APR post on Audizine. They have cracked the ECU for the B9 2.0T. Of course that's a different ECU than is used on the S4.

*Face Palm*
Sorry, I forgot this was the S4 thread. :)

Even if the ecu gets cracked you will still have the TD1 to void your warranty if it's a remap...

Indeed and so one needs to assess the risk of needing that warranty. In the case of the B9 there are a lot of new designs - and Audi tends not to get it right the first time do they?

There might always be a tuning box however I have heard that the newer ecu's can even detect those...

Ok, I'm getting extremely impatient waiting for the configurator and overall cost of the car, standard equipment, options, etc. Anyone have any inside info as to when all this might be released? :)

I emailed my local dealer a week ago. Still waiting for even an acknowledgment!! The model was unveiled nearly a year ago so it's becoming a bit of a joke!

Yeah I completely agree. If I remember rightly they'd said that first orders would be taken in early autumn so in my mind that means they basically have until the end of the month? It doesn't really matter to me in the scheme of things, I'm just impatient as I say!

Thanks for that but they're both for the US market and I imagine our prices, release date and spec levels won't line up with theirs... Makes for good reading but not so good for knowing when they may be released and how much it will cost. Haha.

Wow... So about 6 months later than originally stated then? Shame!

Wow... So about 6 months later than originally stated then? Shame!

I'm not waiting any further, will be ordering the Mercedes C43 AMG instead. Absolutely ridiculous we have to wait so long.

Configurator is now up on the iPhone app (not on the PC) with prices of £44,000 and £45,400 for the saloon and avant respectively!

The main website configurator is now active. Looks like around 10% increase of basic price over the B8.5, however it looks like supersports seats now come as standard like they were on the S5, and there are a few other improvements/extras as standard compared to what the B8.5 had. Some of the options are the same price as the B8.5 but some are really expensive. E.g. sports diff is £1200! Also £300 for someone to paint the brake calipers red :)

I think it will be an expensive move to the B9 for S4 owners :(

Well I had to do it - if I were to order a B9 S4 it would be an avant with lots of options. My config came to £57,345 OTR. What are the chances of getting an 18% discount like I did for my S5?

Reactions: Daggerit
Mine came to about £55-56k with the avant so not far off yours. That said, when I did the 3.0l 272 it was about the same price because you have to pay for more non-standard stuff so the choice is pretty easy for me!