B9 S4 Grille to RS4 style grille

SMI77

Australia
Reaction score
Contemplating purchasing, with royal assent from SWMBO, as she detests the ugly number plate bar across the middle, even on our black grille. A good refund from the Aust. Tax Office is timely.
Of course, nothing is easy. Our Aust. spec comes with the extra camera in the grille, located centrally, directly under the "OOOO". It would appear not many countries spec. S4's with this. Accordingly, they are a rare item.

https://www.emmanueledesign.com/products/b9-rs4-style-black-quattro-mesh-grille?variant=44722280202

https://bk-motorsport.com/tuning/au...grille-with-black-frame-and-chrome-ring-copy/

These 2 appear to be the only sellers with this model. Unfortunately, they are both in US, where shipping to Aust., like all shipping from US to Aust. is just plain rude. Not sure where they made, as could not find any Asian manufacturers or sellers.
There appears to be to 2 styles of RS4 style grille. One in the 'all one piece honeycombe style', or a style split by a bar below which has 'quattro' attached to the honeycombe. Could not find any example of the latter style with this extra hole. Xenon-UK advised they do not sell them.

Can't say I'm a fan of changing the grill to an RS4 one, if you want and RS4 grill, buy and RS4!

I agree the front isn't very attractive, I've got the grey grill on mine as it was one of the first before the Black Pack was released. I looked at some RS4 aftermarket grills, but they all looked really cheap and nasty, maybe the quality has moved forward now, but I doubt it. Also changing it means taking the front end apart, and for a car under 3 years old, I wouldn't want that to happen personally.

So maybe you can counter act SWMBO with suggesting that if she doesn't like the grill, and prefers the RS4 version, that she buys you an RS4 :whistle2:

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Note your post, which offered criticism, however, continued to exercise our golden rule “we have the gold, so we rule”.

I was not stating why we were doing this for justification and was very mindful that the ‘against’ were far more than the ‘for’s’.
These forums are to assist members share common interests, including informing members of any mods, good or not so good. We have already saved $$’s on this site in avoiding pitfuls, knowledge of brands & useful information. Also, being Aussie, there are not many S4s here, let alone B9s. There must be owners from other similar countries that visit the UK & US forums to gain useful information, of which we are most appreciative.

A seller was located from **** with the grille containing the additional PC hole. A body repairer familiar with Audis installed the grille, which requires removal and re-fit of the front bumper assembly. The only problem was the mounting of that PC camera, as the grille comes only with the hole cut-out, and not a bracket, which the body repairer made.

The Audi grille rings – the size was 285mm x 99.5mm (Q7 model), not the normal A4/S4 272mm x 93mm. We purchased a carbon effect version, and against the Daytona Gray it looks quite smooth.

Reactions: Kondax and Spaceman_RS3
Number plates are white letters on black background. Trust me, much better in the flesh.

Audi Front Jan 18

Reactions: Kondax, Jsmills, Paul Golding and 1 other person
Looks good, was it a removal of the front bumper to fit?

"A body repairer familiar with Audis installed the grille, which requires removal and re-fit of the front bumper assembly. The only problem was the mounting of that PC camera, as the grille comes only with the hole cut-out, and not a bracket, which the body repairer made."

Yes.

I lik it a lot too... the price of doing it, I don’t think I’d like. :)

Hi there

I also purchased a grill that requires a different mount as the new grill has 3 prongs to install to and the default camera mount doesn't fit.

Would you be able to help me with getting the mount that you made, do you have pictures of the inside of the grill so i can compare yours to mine?

I have this pics that show how the standard mount doesnt line up to the grill mounts and was wondering if this was the same situation you were in as I am going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• 53086067_2298459663776666_5357431399169130496_n.jpg
    53086067_2298459663776666_5357431399169130496_n.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,124
do it - makes the front end :hubbahubba:

Attachments

• S4.jpg
    S4.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 2,168
Could you post more pics at different angles? One of the few RS grilles I’ve seen with an S4 badge.

Attachments

• RS4 Grill 1.jpg
    RS4 Grill 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,182
  • RS4 Grill 2.jpg
    RS4 Grill 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5,001
  • RS4 Grill 3.jpg
    RS4 Grill 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,854
Reactions: Russboy

Looks lovely!! Will be one of the first changes I will make when I get a B9, need to wait for them to drop under £30k first, so that'll be a year at least.

For now have to settle with my B8, where i've also changed the grill:

44024595760_4afef7563e_b.jpg

Reactions: Dartiailh
Looks lovely!! Will be one of the first changes I will make when I get a B9, need to wait for them to drop under £30k first, so that'll be a year at least.

For now have to settle with my B8, where i've also changed the grill:

44024595760_4afef7563e_b.jpg

Psst I picked up a B9 S4 a couple weeks back for just under £30k, prices are dropping recently (although might not decline as fast with the recent news of the TDI B10(?))

As a previous RS owner I would recommend second and third thoughts.
Aside from the aesthetics, it is an absolute bast&rd to keep looking anything like clean.

Psst I picked up a B9 S4 a couple weeks back for just under £30k, prices are dropping recently (although might not decline as fast with the recent news of the TDI B10(?))

Have had a complete change of plan now, got on order a brand new Tiguan R-Line Tech 230ps 2.0 petrol, just waiting for it to turn up now!

Have had a complete change of plan now, got on order a brand new Tiguan R-Line Tech 230ps 2.0 petrol, just waiting for it to turn up now!
Oh wow quite the difference haha. 2019 Tiguan looks great, I'm sure you'll love it. The wait must be killing you :yahoo:

Oh wow quite the difference haha. 2019 Tiguan looks great, I'm sure you'll love it. The wait must be killing you :yahoo:

Just a bit!

Managed to buy new, but then the sale didn't go through. So I don't have to wait for the build but I do have to wait for it to get here. Sooner the better as I have £500+ of bits to go on that are cluttering up my shed!

Reactions: Kondax
Great choice. My wife has a Tiguan R-Line with APR Stage 1 and I doubt that she will ever let it go - incredibly practical, quite good fit and finish, more than enough performance and standard instruments (she has the technophobe shudders when the S4 turns on with the virtual cockpit). Drinks the fuel a bit round town but it ticks all the boxes.

Reactions: Russboy
Great choice. My wife has a Tiguan R-Line with APR Stage 1 and I doubt that she will ever let it go - incredibly practical, quite good fit and finish, more than enough performance and standard instruments (she has the technophobe shudders when the S4 turns on with the virtual cockpit). Drinks the fuel a bit round town but it ticks all the boxes.

Cool, and apologies for the thread hijack!

In our S4 i've managed an average of 16.3 mpg in the 2 years of ownership so it can only be an improvement!

Drove the 150bhp and new I had to have the top of the range 220bhp version, but only came out in November, so had to buy new.