B9 S4 Avant vs B8 S4 Avant

Taxboy

Reaction score
I'm considering moving across to an S4 Avant and my initial budget was £30k, which seems to offer a decent B8. However what improvements will I gain by looking down the back of the sofa and stretching to a B9. If any owners on here have gone from B8 to a B9 in an S4 I'd be especially interested I their views both good and bad

TIA

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I guess it depends on what your requirements are. The B8 is good but I believe that until the facelift version came out the gearbox wasn't particularly strong and was prone to failure if you drove it with any exuberance... The engine is strong and there's lots of options for tuning and servicing around because it's an older model.

The B9 has much better tech and interior in my opinion, but to some people that's less important. The engine appears to be good, and the transmission was chosen specifically so that it could handle the torque from the motor with less likelihood of failure (from what I've read). There's fewer tuning and servicing options available for it though as it's newer.

So really it just depends on your personal preference!

Reactions: V6_Man
I'm considering moving across to an S4 Avant and my initial budget was £30k, which seems to offer a decent B8. However what improvements will I gain by looking down the back of the sofa and stretching to a B9. If any owners on here have gone from B8 to a B9 in an S4 I'd be especially interested I their views both good and bad

TIA

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/thoughts-on-the-drive-of-the-b9-s4-vs-b8.312950/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Taxboy
Obviously there will be certain differences which are not subjective, such as options on the B9 which don't exist on the B8 (e.g. massage seats and virtual cockpit). However I'd suggest that the important one, how they feel to drive, can only be assessed by personal experience. There is a fundamental difference between the B8 supercharged engine with DCT and B9 turbocharged engine with torque converter transmission. And the difference is very subjective. I'd hate to think you will choose based on web forum opinion rather than personal test drives.

Following on from @Daggerit 's comment, indeed the risk component in the B8 is the s-tronic gearbox. From my research I believe that it is actually from May 2013 onwards that Audi finally got it right, so if you go for a B8 then ideally get one built after May 2013.

Reactions: NevMan, V6_Man and Taxboy
I made the change from a 64 reg B8.5 to a B9 S4 a couple of months ago. B9 slightly more economic, surprisingly it seems quite a lot quicker, 2017 B9 S4 and S5 I tried didn't seem as quick and my new car has only done 2400 miles. Low speed ride on 19 inch wheels not quite as god as previous car on 18 inch wheels, but not too much in it, I would have preferred 18 inch wheels but 19 standard now. Virtual cockpit good, flat bottomed steering wheel I'm not keen on, the last car was round, which I prefer. Massage function on seats I don't use and I preferred the old car seats with alcantara. Ventilation not as good as you can't have individual vent to face and screen. Overall refinement better, modes seem more appropriate. B8 has a little more internal storage space, but B9 has more passenger space, rear passengers seem more comfortable. Both are very good cars, later DGS boxes on B8.5 should be OK, but have been a few failures. I would ensure you have a warranty just in case.

I made the change from a 64 plate b8.5 to a b9. The b9 is head and shoulders a nicer place to sit, not that the b8.5 was bad, far from it, but the b9 is a quantum leap. Seems roomier inside as well.

I find the ride and handling to be better, but maybe not that different. You should find a b8.5 with the active rear diff if thats the route you go down.

The b9 has more power, and despite being turbo'd has very little lag - its a great engine. But to be honest, I prefer the engine / gearbox combo of the b8.5. The gearbox was much sharper and there was absolutely zero lag.

The b9 has a meatier exhaust note as standard vs the b8.5, but somehow feels contrived.

Just my thoughts. The good news is you can't make a bad decision here!

Thanks for all the input. It's much appreciated. As advised earlier I'll obviously have to test drive both but I found it a useful start to my research

Reactions: Daggerit
@Taxboy - you didn't state what you are moving from. Reading the above 2 posts reminds me of my experience. My last car was a B5 so sitting inside a B8 was such a massive improvement that when I later sat in a B9 I don't think I quite appreciated the difference between a B8 and B9 interior that others have. Maybe now that I have had my B8 a while, I would better appreciate the improvements in the B9. But my trouble is that now I have stage 2 B8 I know that a B9 would be dull to drive in comparison so there's no point any more.

@Taxboy - you didn't state what you are moving from. Reading the above 2 posts reminds me of my experience. My last car was a B5 so sitting inside a B8 was such a massive improvement that when I later sat in a B9 I don't think I quite appreciated the difference between a B8 and B9 interior that others have. Maybe now that I have had my B8 a while, I would better appreciate the improvements in the B9. But my trouble is that now I have stage 2 B8 I know that a B9 would be dull to drive in comparison so there's no point any more.
Currently a BMW 520D f10, but in a few months won't be doing the mileage so can have something with a bit of fun but still practical