B9 S4 Avant Order - late to the party

Geoffw82

Reaction score
Hi all,

Another Geoff here! Been reading this forum for a while now and finally made the order last wed and waiting for the order number to come through. 16 week lead time is what the dealer has said as a guestimate. Takes me to early May which feels like a very long way away. Still, gives me time to sell the current car.

I’m coming from a B7 RS4 so looking forward to all the new tech but will miss the NA V8 and instantaneous go. I know lag is getting better but on the test drives it is definitely noticeable in comparison. Still, the S4 is probably quicker in reality given the age difference. MPG improvement will be a welcome bonus!

Spec:
- Ibis white
- £550 optional alloys
- Privacy glass
- Piano black inlays
- Black seats
- Light & Vision
- Comfort & Sound
- Storage pack

I live in London and have just had kid #2 so couldn’t justify the sports diff or adaptive suspension. I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has moved from a b7 RS4 to an S4 without adaptive suspension and their thoughts on ride comfort and handling. I still have a week or so to amend the order apparently but think I’m set. I was initially going with glacier white but to me the difference is negligible. I also fancied the magma seats but white on red is a little out there.

And so the wait begins....

I haven’t owned a B7 RS4 but have ridden a decent amount in a friends and wouldn’t say there’s a massive difference with the standard S4 setup. Adaptive gives you more comfort and more stiffness over the standard setup as needed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t imagine it will be a firmer ride. The girlfriend is hoping for something a little more comfortable so I’m thinking this will be the perfect compromise.

Welcome mate, the waits a killer!

Sounds a nice spec, you considered the black pack as I personally think it looks great with white and the silver S4’s?

I test drive an S4 without diff and adaptive but chose for mine. It’s not night and day but can tell the difference but comfort in the test drive car still felt like a nice ride.

Thanks mate, I am just obsessively reading and watching everything about them. I can imagine I’ll be checking the tracker hourly even though it updates daily!

I did consider the black pack but I got the monthly’s to place I was comfortable with and basically had to choose the wheels or the black pack. I haven’t seen the same spec in the flesh but I’m confident i’ll like it.

Reactions: Riko0073
Hi @Geoffw82 welcome to audi-sport.net. The time will pass quickly. Look forward to pics when you collect. Enjoy the forum

Thanks mate, I am just obsessively reading and watching everything about them. I can imagine I’ll be checking the tracker hourly even though it updates daily!

I did consider the black pack but I got the monthly’s to place I was comfortable with and basically had to choose the wheels or the black pack. I haven’t seen the same spec in the flesh but I’m confident i’ll like it.
Yes mate, agree with the wheels over the black pack...it will look amazing.

Whereabouts in the country are you based?

London, which is why I didn’t go for the sports diff. Also why after 4 years it makes it easier to sell the RS4. I use about 1% of the potential. And once in particularly bad traffic I saw a short term mpg reading of below 3!

London, which is why I didn’t go for the sports diff. Also why after 4 years it makes it easier to sell the RS4. I use about 1% of the potential. And once in particularly bad traffic I saw a short term mpg reading of below 3!
I’m lucky to live in the countryside so plenty of B road blasts :racer:

Reactions: Geoffw82
Exactly the same spec and colour as mine! Welcome. Haven't gone from any rs4 to compare however as you say the car is real world proper quick.

Interior blows my mind every time I get in. Nothing beats it in my humble opinion, it's a really nice place to be. Especially with the panio black inlays!

Oh and the noise,the noise it makes really makes me smile. It'll be different to your v8, but still sounds like it's got more fruit than the man from delmonte.

The wait will kill you. :)

Hi, do you miss the adaptive suspension? To be honest my brother works for Mercedes and I was going to initally get the c43 (the noise with the sports exhaust is insane and I preferred the interior, but I’ve totally changed my mind on that score). But for the same monthlies as the Audi they wanted a £15k deposit! Makes no sense for a similar spec car.

Glad I’ve gone with the S4, the looks have really grown on me and I cannot wait!

This waiting is horrendous. Chased the dealer today as hadn’t heard anything and they gave me an order number. Signed up to myaudi and it’s saying ‘Welcome’. No build date yet, so I’ll be checking daily. Seems people wait roughly 2 weeks from order to getting a build date so should be any day now.

Then the waiting really begins...

I also looked at the C43 as well as the A4 however Marc would not entertain a discount which made it far more expensive. This is my first Audi after a few BMWs and I although i do not have adaptive thur ride is far more compliant than the Beemer. The interior is awesome it’s such a lovely place to be on longer journeys

Yeah Mercedes finance is just expensive. Seems strange given the cars are direct competitors.

I thing BMW have slipped a long way behind in the interior stakes. Not the primary reason petrol heads buy cars but stil...I guess they are due a new 3 series soon which may be a lot better.

Are you pleased with your decision to buy Audi over the 340i (assuming you considered that)?

Welcome to ASN Geoff. Great choice with the S4 purchase....the wait will be painful!

Looked at the new images of the BMW 3 series yesterday, and it does look really promising. It’s the first time that I’ve said to myself that I would strongly consider getting a BMW, which is the first time I’ve said that in about 15 years.

Well the BMW should be, the development will have started long after Audi commenced theirs with the A4. The Audi will follow it up with the facelift...

Well the BMW should be, the development will have started long after Audi commenced theirs with the A4. The Audi will follow it up with the facelift...
The new 3 series is an entirely new generation. Facelift models normally struggle to make such an impact, as cost constraints and reasonable return on investment expectations normally limit the changes that any manufacturer makes. While there are rumours of a significant facelift for the A4 to address sales that are apparently below Audi's expectations, I don't think we'll see the same leap forward as there will be with the 3 series in the A4 until a brand-new B10 debuts.

Reactions: SPIKE_
Kinda goes without saying and this is always the case with facelifts. Might be interesting though if Audi can import some of the technology from the A7 & A8....

The new 3 series is an entirely new generation. Facelift models normally struggle to make such an impact, as cost constraints and reasonable return on investment expectations normally limit the changes that any manufacturer makes. While there are rumours of a significant facelift for the A4 to address sales that are apparently below Audi's expectations, I don't think we'll see the same leap forward as there will be with the 3 series in the A4 until a brand-new B10 debuts.
Well put. I’m sure it’ll be 2022 before the B10 hits the roads. A long time in the car world!

Reactions: tickedon
For those of you with B9 S4s, how long did it take to go from order status 00 to 10? I ordered the car three weeks ago and am yet to be given an estimated build date. Trawling through threads it seems like it usually takes between 3 days and 2 weeks to get one? Thanks!