B9 S4 aluminium interior trim scratches - replace or wrap?

Balders

Reaction score
I pick up a 67 plate S4 avant tomorrow night, great car with really good spec but it’s got a fairly big scratch on the aluminium trim on the dash just under the aircon unit. Also on drivers drivers door next to the handle there are a number of scratches. Non of this is the end of the world and I will probably not even notice them when I’m driving but... I do like things to be right! The rest of the car is in mint condition.

Has anyone else replaced or repaired interior aluminium trim? Is it hard to extract? I am also considering getting the trim wrapped in carbon atlas style wrap as an alternative and guess it is likely to be more durable than the aluminium? Again anyone done this, how much did it cost?

Any views or advice?

Cheers
Paul

When I bought mine recently, the same part was a bit scratched on mine. I think the centre piece was £150 or something like that when I asked. There is a youtube video showing how to remove it yourself rather than paying Audi another 150 notes to do it.

I decided to just park my OCD for a few weeks and see if I could live with it. Which I have as I've become more obsessed with finding some rotors instead !

Reactions: Balders
I pick up a 67 plate S4 avant tomorrow night, great car with really good spec but it’s got a fairly big scratch on the aluminium trim on the dash just under the aircon unit. Also on drivers drivers door next to the handle there are a number of scratches. Non of this is the end of the world and I will probably not even notice them when I’m driving but... I do like things to be right! The rest of the car is in mint condition.

Has anyone else replaced or repaired interior aluminium trim? Is it hard to extract? I am also considering getting the trim wrapped in carbon atlas style wrap as an alternative and guess it is likely to be more durable than the aluminium? Again anyone done this, how much did it cost?

Any views or advice?

Cheers
Paul
Exactly the same on my avant m8. Scratches on the long brushed aluminium piece that houses the air con buttons, the centre console piece and the door trim bits. I've chosen to wrap them in the brushed titanium 3m 1080 vinyl. I've currently done all the door pieces and the centre console. Haven't took any photos yet as I'm waiting until I've finished the whole lot, but it is looking good. The door trims and centre piece was easy to get off, haven't attempted the the the dash pieces yet as I'm waiting for more vinyl. Going to cost me £59 in total, that's including the extra vinyl I needed for a mistake I made. You will need some trim removal tools, I got some decent ones off ebay for £4. I'll get some pics up when I'm finished.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Heaton78, MELenium, unitzero and 3 others
that’s good to hear, think I’ll prob go this way. Be great to see some pics when you’re done

Got one piece on the dash left to do but I'm still waiting for the vinyl, hopefully be here on Friday. Here's a couple of pics of the door trim pieces and the light switch surround. It's hard to get a good picture to show the brushed effect but here goes.
be17206ed5374565d538208aef961a37.jpg
dc49f0098e4d36b43554cbf574bfec61.jpg
f39de734d255a20fe483f426be52d8f8.jpg
adc767f3f9b5552e513dd3c1518bd5ab.jpg

Reactions: Inked
Wow that looks good mate! Not heard of “trim removal” tools though - sound useful !!

Got one piece on the dash left to do but I'm still waiting for the vinyl, hopefully be here on Friday. Here's a couple of pics of the door trim pieces and the light switch surround. It's hard to get a good picture to show the brushed effect but here goes.
Honestly think that looks nicer than the original trim. I presume the texture hasn't caused any issues?

Reactions: Ginge247
Honestly think that looks nicer than the original trim. I presume the texture hasn't caused any issues?
The original trim is the brushed aluminium mate, it wouldn't go over the textured trim very I doubt.

Just been quoted £280 quid to have the trims wrapped in gloss carbon to mimic Carbon Atlas. Ouch! Might just continue to put up with the alu trim or have a go at wrapping it myself.

Do you have any instructions for removing the dash and light trim?
Thanks

Do you have any instructions for removing the dash and light trim?
Thanks
You need to first remove the panel under the steering wheel. Basically open the door, remove the panel on the side of the dash, undo the 8mm bolt, then there are 2 more 8mm bolts underneath in the footwell. Follow this vid I know it's a LHD but the principles are the same. This will get the light switch trim off.

Once that is off the long dash trim comes off by removing 3 T20 torx and then use the dash trim removal tool to prize it off.
The 3 T20 torx are marked in the photos, 2 are accessed by opening the glove box.
d5a49208cbd1de81118420b15635f588.jpg
9591729e00b5f013557c71e2ce6c3b49.jpg
51baf5b6e9cb30cc4ef8eb28f51573a4.jpg

Reactions: OCDaveS4
Just been quoted £280 quid to have the trims wrapped in gloss carbon to mimic Carbon Atlas. Ouch! Might just continue to put up with the alu trim or have a go at wrapping it myself.
Have a go yourself. I've done the doors and center console so far. It's pretty easy. Will get pics up when everything is finished.

Reactions: Ginge247 and OCDaveS4
I thought that all B9 trim was either carbon fibre or the textured aluminium. The brushed aluminium looks really nice.
Or black, like one, when it was a free option, for the more humble A4's. I believe black ash was an option too across the pond...

Been a while since I got a quote for Carbon Atlas from a dealer - its now £100 more expensive for a full coupe set at £1299 !!

I thought that all B9 trim was either carbon fibre or the textured aluminium. The brushed aluminium looks really nice.
Yeah the matt Aluminium trim was an option. Looks nice but the previous owner didn't look after it!

Before and after for the centre console. Waiting for the tools to do the dash
ADAC28B9 D9D4 4A70 9E9E FF02F0AD9969 38FB9763 8D0F 44B4 A9E1 4025132E7C93
6164262C 4EEF 4C10 AFE0 87CAEEA8E552

Reactions: tickedon and Ginge247
Mines all finished now, very happy and saved a fortune!
6d290818bad32b8f4bbcd1d4394e6e76.jpg
18a29c71099a11bd5f950a483ad8e1d8.jpg
cb7a7a9e0ced66537a86bba5d5784c5b.jpg
9e3a657914f5755b69c4ce4b8148fcc7.jpg
689e08cbf9a86a49486ae3c3642908e0.jpg
2feee598fdcde6f9badb66fd85c28418.jpg

Reactions: tickedon
Right guys think you have inspired me to have a bash at this - 1200 for carbon atlas inlays is mad. I'd rather get a new tv!
Will order a couple of glossy carbon films and see what looks most like the atlas.

Right guys think you have inspired me to have a bash at this - 1200 for carbon atlas inlays is mad. I'd rather get a new tv!
Will order a couple of glossy carbon films and see what looks most like the atlas.
Order some removal tools too as you don’t want scratches

Reactions: Ginge247 and Simonwhite2000
Only 1 bit left to do now.
C233B5E2 D4E8 416A A298 28D060096D46

Finally finished.
9F07C374 A6B0 47DE A8AF 1719617447A0 17F738D0 F646 430A B806 0FBEA9DF944A 5FC76945 C9C3 4A8C 95D0 EFC834073EB4

Reactions: OCDaveS4 and Ginge247
Yeah the matt Aluminium trim was an option. Looks nice but the previous owner didn't look after it!

Can you please put a link up to which vinyl you bought for the job. Thanks

Can you please put a link up to which vinyl you bought for the job. Thanks
I used 3m 1080 vinyl. Brushed titanium which is product code BR-230. They do a brushed aluminium as well which is code BR-120. I've attached the colour chart from 3m. I bought mine from ebay but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/122377103579View attachment 1080 ColourCard_2018_LowRes.pdf

Reactions: ZZidane
So what is closest to the original interior trim - BR120 brushed aluminium or BR201 brushed steel? Edit - or BR230.

Most of mine is ok apart from the L shaped centre section which I fancy having a go at.

So what is closest to the original interior trim - BR120 brushed aluminium or BR201 brushed steel?

Most of mine is ok apart from the L shaped centre section which I fancy having a go at.
Not sure tbh mate but I'd say the brushed aluminium.

Reactions: ZZidane
Resurrecting this one! Do the door plastics just pop off with a trim removal tool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s all pretty easy to do. Just get some removal tools. You’ll find the instructions on the thread Ginge247 referenced.

Hi guys, some really nice DIY jobs :)

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the small piece of trim around the MMI screen, and the small trim above the vent on driver side?

Do these just pop off?

I've covered the black gloss in carbon, but would like to change these parts as well.

It's on an S4 2020 plate.

Thanks for any help or advice as I don't want to risk breaking the trim without knowing.

how much foil is needed for doors,center console and dashboard trim?

Hi guys, some really nice DIY jobs :)

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to remove the small piece of trim around the MMI screen, and the small trim above the vent on driver side?

Do these just pop off?

I've covered the black gloss in carbon, but would like to change these parts as well.

It's on an S4 2020 plate.

Thanks for any help or advice as I don't want to risk breaking the trim without knowing.
The trim around the mmi just pops off as I had to remove it to get my screen out. Need a trim removal tool though.

Has anyone wrapped the "textured" aluminium on a standard A4 sport? Do these wrap OK or does the texture show through too much?
Going to leave mine at least another year or two, but will likely do it at some point.

How did you exactly wrap the foil around the odometer reset button? the black border cannot be removed and it is not possible to wrap foil behind it but yours seems like it is behind
It can be removed. I took it out, wrapped then put it back. If I remember correctly it's plastic welded. I just dabbed some JB weld where the plastic welds were to keep it in place

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk