1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B9 RS4 Avant Keyless Entry Query

rapport25 Dec 6, 2018

1. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Hi guys,

Not a fan of keyless entry due to the thieving scum bags out there ☹

How do you protect yours?

Rappy.

Chris518 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4

You can turn off keyless entry from the MMI. Still locks with a touch of door handle just won't open without key press.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

rapport25 and Chris518 like this.
  4. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Fantastic TX,

:thumbs up:

Perfect

Rappy

q5man likes this.
  5. Chris518

Chris518 Member Team Nardo Team V6 Audi RS4 quattro

I had an ghost immobiliser system fitted as an extra precaution and was given a Faraday bag for the key . Checked on ebay and these bags are going for £33 so feel safe that it won't release any signal .
    Chris

rapport25 likes this.
  6. cosmicblue

cosmicblue Active Member TeamMisano Audi RS4

Our local 'Officer Dibble' was handing out the Faraday bags for free (we had two) - I've tried my mobile in it and it defo works. The RS4's keys live in it. I didn't think for a moment that they would be £33.

I'll be joining the Ghost club in January when Ghost II comes out with Android compatibility.

Chris518 and rapport25 like this.
  7. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

I have heard glowing reports about the Ghost, but a few things concern me.

If my house was to get broken into & they couldn't start the car. Not sure I would like the thought of them coming back in & threatening/ hurting my family for the code. I would sooner they take the car.

I have heard that the hitech thiefs can bypass the Ghost via the OBD. This is from a friend that has a few expensive cars & is very OCD about security.

Rappy

Chris518 likes this.
  8. terminator x

You don't need the bags though as auto open doors can be disabled at least in the B9.

TX.

Chris518 likes this.
  9. cosmicblue

The best defence is to keep the desirable object out of public gaze, Ghost is just for those times when one is out and hoping to find the car in the same place you left it.

My RS lives in the garage with an electric radiator on a time switch for company....ahhhh! Actually the heating is there to help with moisture levels rather than keeping the beast comfy..:thumbs up:

terminator x, Chris518 and rapport25 like this.
  10. cosmicblue

I was under the impression that these sniffer programs that crims are using could interrogate the keys for the frequency of the remote door locks and the engine ECU transponder data key. Ghost prevents the car being started - even if the crim has obtained the vehicle key.

Chris518 likes this.
  11. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

In the past, I have had trackers & various security. Toad, Clifford, Cobra etc...

Even with hitech security, I have been the victim of theft twice.

First car was seen being towed away, which had a tracker. Cobra & Clifford installed. Car was never recovered.

Second car was recovered, but was a write off due to the damage the joy riders had caused.

My friend has gone back to mechanical steering locks.

Rappy.

Chris518 likes this.
  12. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

13. rapport25

rapport25 New Member

Only if keyless is enabled. That is my understanding.

Rappy

14. Chris518

Not necessarily so . My ghost system actually let's the engine start but it locks the gearbox so unless the specific code is entered no gears can be selected. We all do what we do to protect our pride and joy but there is that nagging thought "have I done enough, what else can I do ". A few of us probably watched that tv programme about keyless car theft and I know it affected me when the BMW owner broke down in tears when he said because of the car he chose to drive put his family at risk. Sometimes I think just get rid buy something run of the mill , but no why should we
    Chris

rapport25 and cosmicblue like this.
  15. cosmicblue

So in Rappy's scenario the crims could still tow that car away but would likely struggle to monetize their theft as a viable whole vehicle - breaking it up for spares would probably be their only option.

16. Chris518

To be honest cosmic I persume that car theft for parts is the majority where some are just shipped out whole.
    Chris

17. terminator x

Doors won't open with a signal, needs a key press to open them.

TX.

18. Evil Derboy

Evil Derboy Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi RS5 Owners Group

This is correct but by disabling keyless entry on the MMI, even if they have the code using a repeater the car will ignore it and won't open unless the unlock button on the key is pressed.

Personally I use the faraday pouches. I like the keyless entry feature so have just gotten into the habit of putting my key in the pouch when I get home.

q5man likes this.
  19. cosmicblue

I did read a while back that Audi were considering enhancing the key security so that the keys and vehicle knew of multiple potential unlock codes and never use the same code consecutively, it had to be that way because there are two keys in existence. Sounds like they have implemented it now. Thanks guys.

q5man likes this.
  20. Evil Derboy

This has been the case for all cars that are unlocked with a fob for over a decade.

q5man likes this.
  21. terminator x

The keyless keys broadcast a signal 24/7 though which is why crooks can grab it. Is that signal always changing or is it static? As I say mine is turned off on the MMI.

TX.

22. Evil Derboy

I believe that every time a data transaction between the key and the car takes place (i.e. unlock/lock/window open/boot open) a new random key-code is selected for use the next time. This stops someone grabbing the code and then using it again later but it doesnt stop a signal repeater forwarding the signal to the car from further away (which is the main problem at the moment obviously).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    q5man likes this.