B9 Audi Sound System vs B&O

I'm hoping the Audi Sound System will be ok. It has been great in my B8.

Don't worry! not only do I like the sound of mine but my difficult to impress other half and even trickier to please daughter have both commented on how good the Audi sound system is. I knocked the bass and treble up a notch or two and it sounds great, you can also set it up to be front passenger focussed.

Reactions: scotty76 and ScottishA4B9
I;ve got use to the standard audio. Initally I thought it was rubbish, almost phone quality, but I tweaked the fader to be slightly rear and set the treble to +3 and bass +5. and played via ipod

Yesterday I had the chance to drive a BMW 5 F10 with Harmon&Kardon sound system (middle setup). Man, it's miles ahead of B&O in A4, even when listening to FM radio. I really don't get it, why the sound in Audi is so flat and weak, despite all the fancy 19 speakers. Maybe it's something that can be updated via firmware?

I suppose it depends what's the better brand of speakers and if they are set up properly.

I have no idea what the better high end brands of speakers are!

Some are saying the B&O speakers are rubbish and not worth the money, whilst others say they are amazing!

Some say the Audi Sound System is rubbish whilst others say it's fantastic!
It just depends on how you set the system up and what your individual preference is and what the output source is.

Trust me , set it up properly and the B&o sounds amazing. I don't know how you could top it either! Even if the bmw h&k sounded good , I believe it would be on par with the b&o! It's amazing!.

And what exactly settings do you recommend?

Well for my listening , I have trebble set to 4 notches on the right , and bass 5 to the right. The surround sound is set to medium. I'll take a picture later.

Maybe I don't know , the b&o was a massive step up from my a3 8v standard speakers. Which is why I'm loving it. But to me it doesn't sound weak or flat. Maybe you should go to your dealer and find out if there's a problem or something?...

My two cents, I have a B9 A4 loaner at the moment, 2.0Tdi Sline 190 S-tronic.
The sound system is woeful compared to the B8.5 with B&O, (no where near as good as my 2009 B8 either) well worth the upgrade money in my eyes, I have played with all the settings, tried my SD card quality music and it just sounds flat.

Did anyone have an opportunity to listen to Audi Sound System 10 Speaker in B9 A4 yet? Wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on it.

B&O is not available as a stand alone option in Canada and requires a $4,000 upgrade to Technik package. I know B&O is good, but hoping that Audi Sound System will not disappoint.

Well I really hope it's not as bad as the sound system in my B8 as it was great!!!

When I cranked up the B&O in a B9, the bass was incredible. The whole car was shaking! As for music quality, I couldn't tell the difference.

I don't tend to have the bass cranked right up.

I think we need to have a B9 meet soon and check out each other's cars.

Then we can all give a balanced view of all the different options available for the B9.

Reactions: h1r4
Well I really hope it's not as bad as the sound system in my B8 as it was great!!!

When I cranked up the B&O in a B9, the bass was incredible. The whole car was shaking! As for music quality, I couldn't tell the difference.

I don't tend to have the bass cranked right up.

I think we need to have a B9 meet soon and check out each other's cars.

Then we can all give a balanced view of all the different options available for the B9.
good idea!

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
I just want to add that on top of everything, with certain sounds I get a very annoying buzzing of the interior in the car (mostly the inner plastics of the doors). Of course I can turn the bass down to half and it disappears but if I buy a premium car with a premium sound system I expect no buzzing or rattling when I listen to music...

I just want to add that on top of everything, with certain sounds I get a very annoying buzzing of the interior in the car (mostly the inner plastics of the doors). Of course I can turn the bass down to half and it disappears but if I buy a premium car with a premium sound system I expect no buzzing or rattling when I listen to music...
this i can agree on! very annoying!

I'm afraid that there are too many plastic elements in the door that are supposed to look good, make everything more fancy but it just can't handle the amount of base from the speakers. The two low-tone speakers in the front doors are actually small subwoofers so they do produce vibrations. You may notice that if you press the door a bit (above armrest) the buzzing goes away to certain degree.

I don't think that Audi service can do anything about it - it's just how the car is built. In that aspect it's much inferior to my old A6 (C7).

I'm afraid that there are too many plastic elements in the door that are supposed to look good, make everything more fancy but it just can't handle the amount of base from the speakers. The two low-tone speakers in the front doors are actually small subwoofers so they do produce vibrations. You may notice that if you press the door a bit (above armrest) the buzzing goes away to certain degree.

I don't think that Audi service can do anything about it - it's just how the car is built. In that aspect it's much inferior to my old A6 (C7).
Small and sub woofers don't really go together, they are bass speakers and nothing else. A proper sub woofer would blow off the door trim. Any speaker, even tweeters, can produce vibrations...

Small and sub woofers don't really go together, they are bass speakers and nothing else. A proper sub woofer would blow off the door trim. Any speaker, even tweeters, can produce vibrations...

I'm not an expert - the guy who has been doing car audio professionally for 20 years looked at those speakers and said that they are actually tiny subwoofers not standard bass speakers. It doesn't really matter.

If you listen for example the intro of Adele's "When I was young" song it makes half of the car vibrate/buzz when the bass is at 2/3 or more...

Just been out and checked mine out. The Avant with B&O has a sub woofer located under the spare wheel in the boot and vibrates the boot floor.
I have also played around with the settings and switching off surround sound improves the bass no end. In fact when you switch it back on it sounds very tinny.
I actually think the setup is pretty similar to the B&O from the B8 once you have removed the surround sound settings.

I am no expert but I am pretty content with the setup now.

Yes it's the 3D that makes it sound so fussy. The surround is less intrusive but I removed that too.

I am going to give those settings a try for a while and see.

Having listened to the B&O in the new A4 yesterday, I was very underwhelmed. I played around with the settings and whilst it got better, it really doesn't compete with the B&O in my B8 A4.

I then tried to see if any of the other 'Premium' sound systems were better. Tried Bose in the A6 for the first time and was quite impressed - so much so that I've been put off the A4 and am now considering getting the A6.

Having listened to the B&O in the new A4 yesterday, I was very underwhelmed. I played around with the settings and whilst it got better, it really doesn't compete with the B&O in my B8 A4.

I then tried to see if any of the other 'Premium' sound systems were better. Tried Bose in the A6 for the first time and was quite impressed - so much so that I've been put off the A4 and am now considering getting the A6.

I did not check Bose in A6, but even the Audi Sound System sounded a bit better than B&O in the new A4....Reports like that only confirm my complaints. We can only hope it's some software issue - not hardware.

Just had a 24 hour test drive in the a4 with audi sound system and it was terrible in my opinion. Poor compared to seat sound in my mk3 Leon

Just ordered a car and specced B&O!

I am happy with B&O and I have no rattles, I just don't think it's quite as good as in the B8.

Maybe the speakers just need some decent dampers to stop them rattling against the plastic trim.

Maybe the speakers just need some decent dampers to stop them rattling against the plastic trim.
Yeah I still need to go to the dealership , haven't had any time at all to see what they can do

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
My car was delivered on Friday with the 10 speaker sound system. I had a play with the sound settings over the weekend and I have to say it is not very good. My previous car was an A3 Black Edition and the speakers were awesome compared to the A4. There are no rattles that I can hear but the problem is the bass - it's very "boomy" no matter what level you set it on. Would have liked the B&O system but it's way too expensive in my opinion.

So far it appears both sound systems have their faults. I loved the Bose in my S3 and the Audi Sound System in my A4 B8. So what are Audi playing at???

I have a B9 A4 Tdi Quattro SLine S tronic as a loan car- had it for a few days now.

I am LOVING the B&O system.

Music I have played 100 times before has simply come alive through this new system.

The sound quality is crisp and clean. The bass shakes the rear view mirror.

Overall I am 100% converted. It'll be in my next vehicle.

The more I listen to it - the worse it sounds. Really disappointing from a car at this price point. The speakers in my dads Octavia are better than the 10 speaker system in my A4.

Well after a 95 mile trip in a Sport with the *** fitted, I can conclude that there is nothing wrong with it!

In fact sound quality was EXACTLY the same as the B&O system that I listened to!

I put the base up and it was fine. Granted the base in the B&O is alot more powerful but unless your a boy racer, you won't have it up high enough to notice the difference.
I'm certainly glad I didn't pay the extra £750 for the B&O!

Reactions: scotty76, StevoGuide7 and iambu
I've just pulled the trigger on a B9 A5 S-Line and the B&O option is $1,363 here in Australia which after spending 15 minutes in a non-B&O car and one with just testing the sound using the same songs back to back, I opted for the B&O.
Do yourself a favour and take your own Hi-Res music in to do an A-B test at a dealership.

Even the salesman that we were dealing with said that it appears that Audi is reducing the quality of the standard S-Line system to make the option an almost no-brainer when you do some critical listening on one versus the other. Apparently the Q7 is the best example of this.

As you can see, I HAVE listened to both B&O and *** back to back! The B&O in my option is not worth the steep asking price. There no difference to sound quality, just in bass when you put it to very high levels which the vast majority of people won't do!

Seems like a there are people happy and unhappy with both systems. For anyone trying to decide the best bet is to listen to them both and form your own view. Sound systems are very much an issue of personal taste and preferences that the only way to judge is to try them both with your own music and ears.

Reactions: Azz123
Exactly it, I drove my partner's fiesta on Saturday and even though it had a uprated Sony system the sound was thin and lacking in presence compared to my A3's saloon standard one. But she's happy with it...