B9 and Blackvue

Can I just check with someone who has a similar setup. As far as I understand it the powermagic with park mode should mean that the camera is permanently on?
It seems mine is turning off after around two hours as I can no longer access it via the cloud or through wifi, with the camera no longer showing up in my list of wifi devices.
I think the installer might have wired it to a live connection that is automatically turned off after a certain time.
The powermagic is set to infinity according to the installer but I'll check this tomorrow morning before contacting the installer...
Cheers....

Last edited:
It has different power settings, screen shot below of times and where to put switches
7e35b918380dc058d3db322e9bafbe78.jpg

Reactions: NevMan
Yeah I know all of the settings, but thanks for posting them. As stated th parking mode works for a couple of hours then I lose connection.
I do tend to read manuals, and several times as many in this forum know :)

Yeah I know all of the settings, but thanks for posting them.
I do tend to read manuals, and several times :)

Sorry, for some reason I only read the first bit you put and didn’t keep reading.

Reactions: cuke2u
could be something like this issue?
Don't know really and what car they are referring to but I would have thought the installer would have known about the correct settings. Going to have a look this morning as I am going to give the car a good clean and apply some bouncer done and dusted to the bodywork.
If I can't find anything with the settings I will contact the installer directly..

Ok so I have found out it is no longer going into parking mode, the camera just shuts down when turning off the ignition. Yesterday it was working fine and I was able to access it from my phone and view live pictures whilst the car was off, so something has changed.
I did update the firmware yesterday but I am sure I was still able to access the camera afterwards.
Need to investigate it further me thinks...

Having checked all of the settings, and driven the car today it just started working again after being parked up. I have been in contact with Blackvue and it maybe that the voltage setting on the Powermagic is too high at 12.5v.
This might be why that when I unlocked the car and got it just now I was greeted by the message that the dashcam has shutdown.
Waiting now for the installer to visit again to set the Powermagic to 12v as I can't access it without removing the whole of the left hand side footwell trim around the fuse box.

Anyone else care to comment?

I mentioned on the first page that mine shuts down quickly, it only records for an hour or so. I have always assumed the voltage drops quite quickly and so it shuts it off so it won't drain the battery. That's what it is designed to do.

But that renders parking mode, what the powermagic is for, useless. Anyway it does seem to work on other setups.
But then I drove my car for everal miles today and not once has parking mode worked, the camera shut down everytime I turned off the ignition. So not even working the same as your setup.

But then that renders parking mode, which is what the powermagic is for, virtually useless. Anyway it does seem to work on other setups.
But then I drove my car for several miles today and not once has parking mode worked, the camera shut down everytime I turned off the ignition. So not even working the same as your setup.
I am currently arranging the installer returns bringing with him a replacement powermagic pro.

Even after a long drive the voltage from my battery is only around 12.4v so if I had set the PowerMagic to 12.5v it would cut out straight away. Therefore I set it to 12v but that 0.4v only seems to give about 2 hour usage to use up.

I plan to check my battery voltage at some point and will conduct more research. Blackvue seem keen on getting it to work though...

Even after a long drive the voltage from my battery is only around 12.4v so if I had set the PowerMagic to 12.5v it would cut out straight away. Therefore I set it to 12v but that 0.4v only seems to give about 2 hour usage to use up.
Yes I understand that modern cars systems running at ignition off mean that a start/stop battery will eventually go below voltages of 12v. But you'd think mine would at least last a few mins, however it does seem not too, plus the fact that after fiddling around the area of the fusebox, where the powermagic is located, parking mode started to work and did so for about an hour. Then it went into normal mode, as I commenced a journey but switched off immediately at ignition switch off again and parking mode hasn't worked at all again since.
On friday to saturday I would say park mode seemed to have lasted for around 12 hours as I was accessing on the friday evening then showing it to my partner on saturday.
Seems very random to me...

But then that renders parking mode, which is what the powermagic is for, virtually useless. Anyway it does seem to work on other setups.
But then I drove my car for several miles today and not once has parking mode worked, the camera shut down everytime I turned off the ignition. So not even working the same as your setup.
I am currently arranging the installer returns bringing with him a replacement powermagic pro.
If it’s shutting down when you turn off the ignition that implies it is wired into a switched live, not a permanent live.

Also, having looked at notifications, there does seem to be periods when I have driven the car where nothing has happened. It should stated connected, when I start the engine, then disconnected, when I turn off the ignition...

If it’s shutting down when you turn off the ignition that implies it is wired into a switched live, not a permanent live.
You would have thought however park mode has worked and did so overnight, or several hours and again briefly yesterday, but not again now...

Last edited:
It's really annoying, this was supposed to be a birthday present out of concerns about harassment. But now it seems to be more hassle...

@cuke2u Probably not going to help you much unless you can get a refund but I have the Audi UTR and absolutely love it. Parking mode is great on it and absolutely no DAB issues like I have with the old Blackvue in my A7.

Thanks for your reply DarkyUK, so park mode works fine with your setup and are you using a powermagic pro?

@cuke2u Yes, Parking mode works great, the UTR has built in Radar which detects movement and records when needed, it also has all the power management built in so no need for the Powermagic Pro, just connect perm live, switched live and ground.

Ok thanks, so this suggests no issues with the battery voltage. Blackvue have been in contact and they're still trying to arrange a suitable appointment time when the installer can revisit.
I have also posted this in the Audi-Sport In Car Camera's forum...

@cuke2u Probably not going to help you much unless you can get a refund but I have the Audi UTR and absolutely love it. Parking mode is great on it and absolutely no DAB issues like I have with the old Blackvue in my A7.
Good morning, I wonder if you happen to know which fuse your UTR is connected to?

Does this help?I have the full manual but you can't attach files on here
UTR Red UTR Green

Brilliant and thank you for your very quick reply. I'll print that off for the installer when he comes back.

I have the installer coming back this Tuesday afternoon but the park mode hasn't worked at all since briefly last Tuesday and I have driven some 80 miles.

So the installer visited today and reset the Powermagic voltage to 12v and so far, fingers crossed, it has flawlessly worked since then. Interestingly, if he is telling the truth, he is paid £40 for his efforts where as Blackvue charged me £130, I must be in the wrong business!!

Reactions: NevMan, rasA4 and Keef
So the installer visited today and reset the Powermagic voltage to 12v and so far, fingers crossed, it has flawlessly worked since then. Interestingly, if he is telling the truth, he is paid £40 for his efforts where as Blackvue charged me £130, I must be in the wrong business!!
Good to hear all is well

Thanks, still going strong but in parking mode the movement sensor is far too sensitive. I had it set to 2 and it picked up somebody coming to a window opposite our house separated by a car and the road. Ended up setting it to 0 which probably means it is off...

Reactions: rasA4 and NevMan

Good news mate, hopefully keeps working

Still working ok this morning but had to turn off the motion sensor in the end. Will contact Blackvue directly about this..

Still working ok this morning but had to turn off the motion sensor in the end. Will contact Blackvue directly about this..

Too sensitive I gather?

cant remember without reading the thread again. how are you finding using the app? can you view live if you are in another location?

q5man:
Very much so, they need to change the coding as when it is set to 1 it was going off all the time with any movement around 20ft away. To my mind the 1 setting should be only detecting movement when someone directly approaches the car, say from 2ft away...

cant remember without reading the thread again. how are you finding using the app? can you view live if you are in another location?
Yes liking the app, the dashcam has built in Wi-Fi, so I can access it from up to 10m away, then it also has cloud, which does the same. But obviously the cam needs to be connected to the internet. So I have used my home Wi-Fi access points and both my work ones.
You can have up to three..
https://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

Reactions: rasA4
q5man:
Very much so, they need to change the coding as when it is set to 1 it was going off all the time with any movement around 20ft away. To my mind the 1 setting should be only detecting movement when someone directly approaches the car, say from 2ft away...

I agree, as you are only interested in anything “near” your car.

I am getting Thinkware F770 installed in a few weeks, hope
It isn’t this sensitive

In speaking to the installer he mostly installs Thinkware dashcams, not sure what model it is but according to him there is one that has parking mode built in and also will detect low battery voltage and automatically switch off it drops below a certain level.

I looked at the F770 but it was more expensive, as the Powermagic Pro came 'free' with the Blackvue, plus it doesn't have Cloud access either.

I am not alone, it seems, in complaining about the sensitivity of the Blackvue's motion sensor. But I am sure a simple mod to a coding algorithm should rectify it, though the most recent firmware update was mid September which I have installed.

Last edited:
Mine is being installed by @DJAlix, and he recommends the Thinkware, the F880 or F770 but says the latter gives more bang for your buck. While kit is just over £220, so not bad in my book, and will give me all the functionality I need including time lapse, safety cameras, parking mode, dual save, WiFi, gps etc

Reactions: rasA4 and cuke2u
I often have to, no forced to, park in more than one school car park and the little blighters will just about climb over a car if they can, with the parents watching of course. Thus I do make every effort to place my car away from all of that if I can. However should some damage occur my plan was to have it recorded. Plus there is this jerk who lives across the road from me who I am collecting evidence against in a harassment case. So I wish to record his movements covertly.

DJAlix is one of the good guys...

Reactions: rasA4 and NevMan