B9 and Blackvue

Dmrqwq

Reaction score
I've recently purchased a B9 S4 Avant as a move from my Q5 Sline Plus. In my Q5 I have a Blackvue DRW-650 2 channel dash cam mounted. The front camera sits under the console that holds the rear view mirror.

With the introduction of the pre-sense camera I assume this mounting position will no longer be possible.

Has anyone fitted a Blackvue dash cam to their B9 and be able to offer any advice around positioning of the camera? I dont want it to be too visible (either from inside or out) so the position in front of the rear view mirror was excellent.

The rear view camera sits nicely at the top of the rear window and I've reason to suspect it wont in the B9.

When I had my test drive I noticed a whole bunch of sensors and things where the console met the windscreen but nothing beyond that so I'd imagine you'd be good putting it on the front!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Will have a closer look when one of the S4 demonstrators lands at my dealer!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and Daggerit
I fitted the same camera to my B9 recently. I put the front camera just under the housing behind the rear view mirror. It isn't as well hidddn as it was in the B8 previously but is hardly noticeable.

I placed the rear camera on the glass just below the plastic housing for the high brake light.

Just ordered a Blackvue DR-750s 1ch for my car through the official Blackvue site. As the dashcam is £225, including a power magic pro, with the install at home the cost is only around £40 more than the cost of Halfords, so it's a no brainer to have it professionally fitted at my home address.
I have been against these devices in the past however in the last few months a new neighbour has moved into one of the social housing properties opposite and he has been making threats against us and parking his vehicle, and his vistors, in a manner that obstructs the use of our driveway. If we do the same, which we rarely do as it is a private road with convenants about the use of the road, parking and the behaviour of residents, we get loads of abuse from him and his wife, disgustingly foul language with threats and all in front of his children as well.
So my only option is to collect as much evidence as I can, without compromising us and by keeping it legal.
Hence the dashcam...

Just ordered a Blackvue DR-750s 1ch for my car through the official Blackvue site. As the dashcam is £225, including a power magic pro, with the install at home the cost is only around £40 more than the cost of Halfords, so it's a no brainer to have it professionally fitted at my home address.
I have been against these devices in the past however in the last few months a new neighbour has moved into one of the social housing properties opposite and he has been making threats against us and parking his vehicle, and his vistors, in a manner that obstructs the use of our driveway. If we do the same, which we rarely do as it is a private road with convenants about the use of the road, parking and the behaviour of residents, we get loads of abuse from him and his wife, disgustingly foul language with threats and all in front of his children as well.
So my only option is to collect as much evidence as I can, without compromising us and by keeping it legal.
Hence the dashcam...
Blimey not good atmosphere,

Reactions: oldoiler
Blimey not good atmosphere,
No not, we seriously considered moving out after watching him fighting outside our house with another neighbour, also from a social housing property, one evening...

Just keep reporting everything because he is in social housing he may get kicked out.

Reactions: rasA4
If it's similar to a B9 S5, then I have my DR750 mounted to the left of the central mirror mount & the camera is completely hidden behind the mirror.
Will post some pics in a bit.

DSC 0021 2018 10 27T12 47 20000
DSC 0022 2018 10 27T12 47 26000

That’s about the same position as mine. I do find with the PowerMagicPro it doesn’t record for long after the car is locked up. I assume the voltage drops quite quickly. From memory I set it to 12v. It also stops the start/stop system from working for quite a while after starting the car, I assume as the voltage needs to be at a certain level for it to work.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check this with the installer when he comes...

Doesn't the rear view mirror have some kind of a sensor on the passenger side? There is some kind of square thing that I can feel on the back of the mirror. I didn't mount my camera on that side so that I don't obscure it.

I installed my blackvue in the same position as the above pic, I had to reposition the camera because it interfaith the dimming mirror and wing mirrors

Sorry, I don’t understand
For left hand drive thus the rear view mirror is facing the other way avoiding the sensor in the mirror

Reactions: Filipão
I installed my blackvue in the same position as the above pic, I had to reposition the camera because it interfaith the dimming mirror and wing mirrors

Not noticed performance problem with mine, but you're right the sensor for the mirror is obscured a bit.

Camera being installed friday pm. Will update then with pictures...

Camera being installed friday pm. Will update then with pictures...

You are correct. I mounted mine further to the side so as not to block this.

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_7538.jpg
    IMG_7538.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 501
Reactions: rasA4 and cuke2u
Sure, here you are. Although more visible than behind the mirror I've placed it as high as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_7540.jpg
    IMG_7540.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: NevMan and rasA4
I put mine behind the mirror. I done a video on where I tucked the cables in a.

Reactions: cuke2u
Thanks for the vid, very useful to know how the installer might go about it...

Package arrived today ready for friday's installation:
 20181030 125427

Reactions: rasA4 and NevMan
take some pics of the install if you can. Would like to know where the power magic will be installed
I guess near the glovebox?

take some pics of the install if you can. Would like to know where the power magic will be installed
I will take some of the install if I can, but obviously I do not wish to make the installer feel uncomfortable. I will get some of the finished setup though. Yes I would hope the power magic would be placed where I can access it to make any adjustments...

Reactions: NevMan and rasA4
I will take some of the install if I can, but obviously I do not wish to make the installer feel uncomfortable. I will get some of the finished setup though. Yes I would hope the power magic would be placed where I can access it to make any adjustments...
fully understand that thanks, hopefully the forecast where you are is dry

Mine's in the fusebox to the left of the dash. There is lots of room in there.

Reactions: cuke2u
Ok the installer has just arrived, lovely weather for it bright and sunny, and we've discussed the install and the positioning of the camera. he felt that if it is directly behind the mirror it would interfere with the light sensor. So I have taken his word as gospel and it is going to be mounted slightly higher than some of the photos here, but not visible to the driver. About where RichardMMM has his.
He doesn't use piggyback fuses, as he feels they can be unreliable, so it'll be hot wired in.

All done and I am happy with the installation. The powermagic pro is hidden in the fuse box cubby but easily accessible. Going to have a look at the app settings tomorrow and take a couple of pictures as it's nearly dark now.
DCH Automotive of Heathfield did the the install, in fact it was the boss Daniel and he enjoys a good car related conversation as well.
They install alot of trackers and only yesterday he installed one in a brand new R8...

nice one what size memory card did you go for and how long will it last?