B9 a4 reliability

Johnnyboy1984

Reaction score
I have had my a4 since new and received delivery of my 17 plate 3.0tdi Quattro sline avant in glacier white on the 01/03/2017. Having owned many Audi's In the past, I thought I was I for the same quality I have previously experienced..... how wrong could I be.

Faults so far:

After every start, hit 25mph and twang - I get a great big twang noise from the underside of the body. Present from day 1.

Lag when pulling away from a standstill, sometimes I have been seriously cra**ing myself in the middle of roundabouts, it just doesn't like engaging gear. Present from day 1.

Judder when pulling away in 2nd gear (auto so i cant tell it what to do ☺). Last 1000 miles

Knock from drivers side front suspension. Last 1000 miles

A servo/actuator keeps buzzing in the engine compartment (sounds like Robocop is under there) im not anal, it is loud and can be heard over music.... Last 3000 miles

A.c. display has a fault - looks like Morse code running through the full display. Developed after 2 weeks of ownership.

Drivers door card rattles. Present from day 1

Passenger door card rattles. Present from day 1

Passenger a-pillar buzzes like mad. Present from day 1

B and O stereo - middle dash speaker crackles, passenger a pillar tweeter crackles and sub makes its own mind up when it wants to work. Present from day 1

I would love to get it into Audi for repair but they can't fit me in for 6 weeks......

Really over the moon with my £42k car so far!!! I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced as many issues as I have. If I could hand the car back tomorrow - I genuinely would.

Sorry to hear of your issues, but probably better in the Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B9 Chassis) forum

Push the sos button it will go straight in and you will get a replacement car

Reactions: chrisj75 and WesT-gefül
Lag when pulling away from a standstill, sometimes I have been seriously cra**ing myself in the middle of roundabouts, it just doesn't like engaging gear. Present from day 1.

I always use Sport mode in these situations, just pull back on the gear lever , makes the response very rapid.
The default mode is for economy so its quite sloppy.

Had mine for 15 months now and apart from one minor issue on delivery not a single issue with it.

I had a fuel rail pressure sensor go which caused the car to lose power but Audi assistance fixed it quickly.

Virtual cockpit sometimes just has a black screen and Audi connect packs up at the same time but since Audi updated the software it has only done it once.

Other than that car has been fine. I also have the lag issue which is quite frankly a joke in such a pricey car. Driving my wife's BMW this week reminded me how much more fun and responsive a BMW is but you learn to live with it. As said above pop the gearbox into sport mode at roundabouts. It doesn't completely fix things but does improve them.

The Audi is really comfy and refined so I'm sure once you get your current issues fixed you'll start to enjoy the car.

With regard to the `hesitation` when pulling away, I don't find that putting it into `Sport` makes a shred of difference.
I'm so dis-chuffed (is that even a word?) with mine that I'm seriously considering changing to a 1.4 Q2.

Noise at 25 mph is not a fault,its the abs self test.
Mines booked in for a rattle in drivers door,suspect its an electrical connector/cable loose and touching the lower door frame or a speaker grill vibrating.Seems a few have this so hoping Audi have it noted and approved fix.
No real lag in power,not with the petrol anyway.
No other issues.

Thankyou all for your responses a d reassuring (I think!) that I am not the only one with issues.

Hi holly 35, it's not a power lag, Its a gearbox lag. Had a tt 3.2 with dsg 6/7 years ago and it did the same thing. Thought the might have fixed the issue by now progress ey !

Well, after more issues (more rattles, door speaker grille falling off, engine knocking - I s**t you not! and the worst dealer experience I have ever experienced) I have finally called Audi and told them I want to reject the car.

Worst car I have ever owned, quality of car 0 out of 10, dealership network 0 out of 10.

Sorry to hear of your issues,nothing worse in a new car. Apart from the door rattle ( was fixed by my dealer and was simply a couple of fasteners that were loose.which had nothing to do with speaker grills) ive been perfectly happy with my car .
Did i not read in one of your threads that you had pulled out the speaker grills to apply some tape? ,perhaps thats why they have now fallen off.I never poke around any aspects of a new car as there are so many hidden clips,etc that can be damaged etc .Usually things tend to have a set procedure for removal which sometimes dont seem logical but are there for a reason.
Its possible i may not buy another A4 next time but thats purely down to health reasons.The new Q3 will be here this time next year and that ,possibly in SE trim (more comfort) will be what i will have my eye on.
In saying that though if Brexit goes t*its up,i may have to look at changing brand if prices go into orbit.
However i think Audi will have to remain competitive price wise as it will severely affect their business.

Mines brilliant..........

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Mines brilliant..........

Lol, almost helpful. I've had problems with the S3 over a couple of years. It's interesting to know which issues are more common but if someone hasn't got any of the issues theres no real point in adding to the thread. Once you take ownership of a new car, if things go wrong then it's the biggest pile of poo until it's sorted. To be honest with a list like that on a new car I'd of dumped it back at the dealership with banners attached and told them to sort it ASAP. After the first attempt if not fixed then rejection is the best route.
One or two minor things I'd give and take a little. It's still just a massed produced car which has been through several stages of cost cutting nip and tuck whatever badge it wears. Tis the world we live in today.

Reactions: DEWCATI
My A4 broke down after just 1100 miles, gearbox malfunction and the car had to be taken away on a flatbed. Turned out the park solenoid inside the gearbox had failed, probably not an expensive component, not heard of anyone having a similar issue though...

Sorry to hear about your experience Johnnyboy. Sounds like you picked up a Friday afternoon car. I’d agree that with such a long list, you need proper corrective action . Anyone can expect 1 or 2 issues on what is complex machine .
I’d suggest you write directly to Audi UK .. back up your call with a written letter stating the issues , chronology, visits to dealer, and the lack of resolution from the dealer . You probably have some rights under the consumer act, up documenting and putting in writing is key.
6 weeks is totally unacceptable from the dealer. Good luck ...

I’m beginning to question the reliability and build quality myself. Had mine about 10 months (12,000 miles). I have started getting rattled and squeaks from all over
Driver seat base squeaks when cornering or over bumps
Sub /parcel shelf vibrates on any volume over 10%
Rattle from passenger door
Splutter/ lag when cornering from cold start
Then this week the car has twice gone in to limp mode which was resolved by turning the engine off/on again.

I also have a Q3 which we managed to get replaced by the dealer after a year due to a catalog of issues/faults. The brand new 8 week old replacement Q3 has just been in for a week to rectify various faults. At first I just thought I was unlucky but I now feel the build quality of Audi is not what it used to be and not what I would expect from a premium car!

My 2015 A3 was faultless

Hate to say but nowadays and more so the immediate future, Audi can knock them out quicker in greater numbers because people will go buy the badge.
Eventually things may come to a head and the situation will be reversed. I hope

Really over the moon with my £42k car so far!!!
After so much misery I would be p****d, 1 or 2 faults maybe but that many is just not on. The quality gut must have had the day off when yours was built,,,,, definitely reject it mate, I believe the more they tear it a part the more issues will be realised. Good luck fella, hope you get sorted.

So now hot 30k and guess where my car is......... after even more issues - more b&o speakers replaced, grills, new a.c. compressor, oil leaks, it's now back in Audi because it has a fuel leak and they have now also identified a coolant leak. REALLY!?

We also have to bare in mind that forums will make faults seem more common that what they are. So yes commonly reported but not common in the sheer numbers of overall cars on the road.

Current I have warranty work done to my gearbox. So far it’s just the seal. Really soiled the under tray.

On inspection they also found a fault with the AdBlue pump. This is being replaced under warranty. It’s the whole tank which includes the pump in the unit.

Rattles rattles rattles. (Audi 10 speaker) the speaker cover or doors rattle. The back parcel shelf rattles when the system is turned up. Compared to the 16plate A6 which has zero rattles no matter how loud you turn the system up. Rattles on bumps also.

I drive 2.0 tdi Sport Stronic SS 190ps

Feel sorry for you. Hope you get sorted. Rejection is a smart move. Sounds like you have a dud.

Reactions: tickedon and Jcbmally
Sorry to hear of your issues,nothing worse in a new car. Apart from the door rattle ( was fixed by my dealer and was simply a couple of fasteners that were loose.which had nothing to do with speaker grills) ive been perfectly happy with my car .
Did i not read in one of your threads that you had pulled out the speaker grills to apply some tape? ,perhaps thats why they have now fallen off.I never poke around any aspects of a new car as there are so many hidden clips,etc that can be damaged etc .Usually things tend to have a set procedure for removal which sometimes dont seem logical but are there for a reason.
Its possible i may not buy another A4 next time but thats purely down to health reasons.The new Q3 will be here this time next year and that ,possibly in SE trim (more comfort) will be what i will have my eye on.
In saying that though if Brexit goes t*its up,i may have to look at changing brand if prices go into orbit.
However i think Audi will have to remain competitive price wise as it will severely affect their business.

Sorry, I haven't pulled any of my car apart? Must be another member you read about.

Reactions: TameAutumn
There is a train of thought, that owners of "premium" style marques have much much higher standards and expectations, so are likely to book in and complain about the slightest little fault or noise/squeak, whereas a Peugeot owner or Skoda for example, doesn't have such high expectations and just lives with things and thinks it's par for the course.

A Skoda owner will have spent less money and therefore have lower expectations, if they get even some of the Audi premium feel they will be over the moon. An Audi driver has already paid over the odds for that so if it isn't perfect they get disgruntled!

Last edited:
Reactions: tickedon
Unfortunately it is a fact that Audi/BMW/Mercedes have been dropping down the lists of reliability as shown by the annual JD Power reliability https://www.carscoops.com/2017/09/jd-power-uk-reliability-study-says-bmw/ for several years. What is strange is the Skoda's come out near to the top which are essentially the same cars...

Interesting...im actually considering a skoda superb for my next car has anyone here owned/driven one?

Just over 10k miles in mine and the Parcel shelf speakers rattle like crazy when volume increases, drivers side door speaker makes a knocking sound speed at & the mmi restarts itself or just switches itself off completely. All are intermittent apart from parcel shelf rattle.

Then there's the lag which a HATE but have learned to work around. Its been great other than that

There is a train of thought, that owners of "premium" style marques have much much higher standards and expectations, so are likely to book in and complain about the slightest little fault or noise/squeak, whereas a Peugeot owner or Skoda for example, doesn't have such high expectations and just lives with things and thinks it's par for the course.

A Skoda owner will have spent less money and therefore have lower expectations, if they get even some of the Audi premium feel they will be over the moon. An Audi driver has already paid over the odds for that so if it isn't perfect they get disgruntled!

Close but no cigar. Our s3 is the rattleist car ive ever had. Your paying for a premium badge, percieved build qualty. Apart from that, not much else.

Remember, although its classed as a premium product. Its still just mass produced so will suffer the same pitfalls.

Reactions: Zocko
Interesting...im actually considering a skoda superb for my next car has anyone here owned/driven one?

Just over 10k miles in mine and the Parcel shelf speakers rattle like crazy when volume increases, drivers side door speaker makes a knocking sound speed at & the mmi restarts itself or just switches itself off completely. All are intermittent apart from parcel shelf rattle.

Then there's the lag which a HATE but have learned to work around. Its been great other than that

Here is the lag explanation.

Reactions: Gingertom and mister.c.

Tis true and some marquees are owned by people who pay more attention to their cars and do less mileage, which then makes the results slightly skewed..

I have had my a4 since new and received delivery of my 17 plate 3.0tdi Quattro sline avant in glacier white on the 01/03/2017. Having owned many Audi's In the past, I thought I was I for the same quality I have previously experienced..... how wrong could I be.

Faults so far:

After every start, hit 25mph and twang - I get a great big twang noise from the underside of the body. Present from day 1.

Judder when pulling away in 2nd gear (auto so i cant tell it what to do ☺). Last 1000 miles

Knock from drivers side front suspension. Last 1000 miles

A servo/actuator keeps buzzing in the engine compartment (sounds like Robocop is under there) im not anal, it is loud and can be heard over music.... Last 3000 miles

A.c. display has a fault - looks like Morse code running through the full display. Developed after 2 weeks of ownership.

Drivers door card rattles. Present from day 1

Passenger door card rattles. Present from day 1

Passenger a-pillar buzzes like mad. Present from day 1

B and O stereo - middle dash speaker crackles, passenger a pillar tweeter crackles and sub makes its own mind up when it wants to work. Present from day 1

I would love to get it into Audi for repair but they can't fit me in for 6 weeks......

Really over the moon with my £42k car so far!!! I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced as many issues as I have. If I could hand the car back tomorrow - I genuinely would.

Sorry to hear about these issues.

I myself had an issue with the b and o sound system rattling at times, it's intermittent though.

In regards to the lag, which 3litre do you have? The 218 or 272?

I've recently brought a tmc motorsport TCU upgrade and its completely transformed the way the car drives (virtually no lag now) more responsive than a friends BMW 435d which didn't have any lag either.

I'd consider others on this forum to purchase the tcu upgrade if the lag is really giving them a hard time.

Reactions: ScottishA4B9

There is truth in what you say. I would have had the same thought process.
My wife and I are new to Audi. It’s the progression of being able to drive and afford it, so when you get to this stage you expect more and rightfully so. You also see reported issues on the forums naturally makes things look more common than they actually are. I don’t think it’s too much to expect to have no rattles.

So now hot 30k and guess where my car is......... after even more issues - more b&o speakers replaced, grills, new a.c. compressor, oil leaks, it's now back in Audi because it has a fuel leak and they have now also identified a coolant leak. REALLY!?
A thought you were rejecting in October? Why did you keep it it’s obviously a Lemon you got.

I’m lucky iv had no such problems in the past year and compared to my mates with new 3 series the Audi is much more solid and problem free

A thought you were rejecting in October? Why did you keep it it’s obviously a Lemon you got.

I’m lucky iv had no such problems in the past year and compared to my mates with new 3 series the Audi is much more solid and problem free
Tried to reject - Audi are having none of it.

Surely if you were within the terms of the new laws then they can’t say much against it.

Hmmm possibility, but my thoughts is this...

The usual mass production manufactures have these days mass production down to an art hence why some of the more main stream companies do fairly well with regards to reliability.

However desirable brands such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc have exploded in popularity over the last 10 years or so. Thanks in part to cheap finance deals, desireable badges leading to higher residual values, and low end vehicles.

Before they tended to have mid to upper range vehicles. I think with this explosion they are struggling with mass manufacture of vehicles to keep up with demand for products. This leads to an increase of issues of reliability of the product if it’s now been rushed through the production line to reach customers.

I also wonder if, what was seen as traditional German engineering is affected by being manufactured in other countries? BMW and Audi have manufacture plants all across the world. For example the Audi A1 is actually made by Seat in the Ibiza plant from 2018 onwards or so I understand.

Reactions: Simonb1975
Yes the new A1 is going to be manufactured there, isn't the new Polo already. Audi are no different from any other manufacter when sourcing parts for their production lines, my gearbox is made in china. Even when I was driving around in fords the german marques had a poor reputation for reliability.

Yes the new A1 is going to be manufactured there, isn't the new Polo already. Audi are no different from any other manufacter when sourcing parts for their production lines, my gearbox is made in china. Even when I was driving around in fords the german marques had a poor reputation for reliability.
The new polo is actually still being manufactured in South Africa. Only the new A1 due out end of this year will be built in Spain like you say.