B9 1.4TFSI Manual Gearbox 'whine'

FWilliams

Reaction score
Hi, new Audi owner. Have just picked up an A4 Avant 1.4TFSI, manual, 30k miles.
Absolutely love the car, surprised by how nippy the 1.4 is. Not long after I picked it up I noticed what I can only describe is whine (or the noise you would hear when in reverse) mainly in first and in second a bit too. Took it back to Audi dealer (have 12 month warranty) and they said it's normal sound for that gearbox. Took it to another dealer who gave it a really thorough drive and they said it was totally normal too and nothing to worry about. He said they'd let me know when they have a similar car with that gearbox in so I can compare but they haven't got one in yet. I've had friends tell me it's definitely something to worry about but admittedly that they hadn't driven a car with that engine/gearbox before.

In the video you can hear it quite clearly in first. So my question is, has anyone else come across this sound on this car? Is this a normal sound or early sign of something serious with gearbox.

Really just want to enjoy the car and not worry so if anyone else has experience with this car/gearbox your feedback would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Can’t say I hear anything untoward. The 1.4 is a pretty quiet and smooth engine, makes all the other noises more apparent.
I would just test another 1.4 out and compare the sound, might be something, or not, who knows.

Reactions: FWilliams
Hi, new Audi owner. Have just picked up an A4 Avant 1.4TFSI, manual, 30k miles.
Absolutely love the car, surprised by how nippy the 1.4 is. Not long after I picked it up I noticed what I can only describe is whine (or the noise you would hear when in reverse) mainly in first and in second a bit too. Took it back to Audi dealer (have 12 month warranty) and they said it's normal sound for that gearbox. Took it to another dealer who gave it a really thorough drive and they said it was totally normal too and nothing to worry about. He said they'd let me know when they have a similar car with that gearbox in so I can compare but they haven't got one in yet. I've had friends tell me it's definitely something to worry about but admittedly that they hadn't driven a car with that engine/gearbox before.

In the video you can hear it quite clearly in first. So my question is, has anyone else come across this sound on this car? Is this a normal sound or early sign of something serious with gearbox.

Really just want to enjoy the car and not worry so if anyone else has experience with this car/gearbox your feedback would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Have to agree with smog, I'm just going to echo what's been said already.
I've got the same car (saloon) same engine also. Bought with 4k miles now done 11k, I came from a diesel and can recall, early on, thinking I could hear everything bar the engine! I defo recall thinking that I could hear the box but soon realised it's just a nice smooth little engine. However, if in doubt and you've got the option to drive another from a dealer then indeed do so. I bought mine privately and after a few miles soon came to the conclusion that the engine was just whisper quiet not the box was noisy. Enjoy fella, it's a great car!

It could just be that the interior of an A4 is such a quiet place to be that any other normal noises are more apparent?

Cheers all, that's reassured me. Appreciate you taking the time to listen to it. I'll just enjoy the car!!