b8 steering wheel swap s line to flat bottom airbag wiring question

Jeff Cooper

Reaction score
considering a steering wheel swap on an 09 B8 Audi A4 from standard S line to flat bottomed, I have a black edition A3 which has the flat bottomed wheel so before buying one , I removed both steering wheel airbags to compare, wheels look as though they will be interchangeable but airbag wiring is different, they both have a similar looking connector but they both have a different shaped lugs on the inside preventing the connector pushing on, has anyone done a swap, is there a way around it or is it case of you have to get the airbag for the exact model? Ive read on one forum about trimming the lugs off the connector allowing it to push on but not so sure on that would the wiring be the same ? the flat bottom wheel has all the wires in black where as the s line wheel has coloured wires.

thanks in advance for any replies Jeff

Whats the B8 wheel look like atm before info given.

Whats the B8 wheel look like atm before info given.

standard B8 line steering wheel with multi function.

this is the plug

001-2.jpg

Then just swap over the connectors, but you'll need a pin removal tool tbh, given from background looks the same wheel type/button layout or buy the correct airbag loom from audi.

Then just swap over the connectors, but you'll need a pin removal tool tbh, given from background looks the same wheel type/button layout or buy the correct airbag loom from audi.

thanks for the reply, Is this a job you have carried out ? rather than swap the wires from plug to plug, if the wiring is the same im thinking it would be easier to shave the lug then the plug would pop straight in and the clip would still retain it ?

I have & I dont shave connectors down, I do it properly.

I have & I dont shave connectors down, I do it properly.

cheers,I will order a pin removal tool, so once I get it , Is it as straight forward as putting each wire into the same position of the other clip , all my wires are black so i think will label them !

Reactions: pns2007
You will need to use some savvy to map where each pin goes as slip ring on both cars are different.

If you want ease of job, then best to buy another loom about £30-40 rather than hacking it apart, then at least its easier to swap over & back as such or get someone to do for you.

Whereabouts are you?

Im in the north east, If it was a case of swapping from one connector to another I think I could manage that but if the wires will need to go to different pins that could prove difficult im not a fan of electrics at the best of times! how would it be possible to buy a loom that would adapt ?

On consultation of the parts bible, no B8 fbmfsw of the same type exists, only the newer 2012/13 B8's have the newer version, it can be fitted, but you'll have to repin it anyway, should be easy enough for yourself, just a pita removing pins without right tools.

On consultation of the parts bible, no B8 fbmfsw of the same type exists, only the newer 2012/13 B8's have the newer version, it can be fitted, but you'll have to repin it anyway, should be easy enough for yourself, just a pita removing pins without right tools.

cheers thanks for the info. If I repin into the original connector how will I know where the pins go ?

Considering they're both same wheel types as such, should be fairly simple to map the wires out mate.

Considering they're both same wheel types as such, should be fairly simple to map the wires out mate.

as said if its a simple plug swap, ie pin 1 to pin 1 and so on, that I can do but if it would mean tracing and matching up wires thats beyond me ! any recommendations for someone in the north east area that would carry out the wiring.

considering a steering wheel swap on an 09 B8 Audi A4 from standard S line to flat bottomed, I have a black edition A3 which has the flat bottomed wheel so before buying one , I removed both steering wheel airbags to compare, wheels look as though they will be interchangeable but airbag wiring is different, they both have a similar looking connector but they both have a different shaped lugs on the inside preventing the connector pushing on, has anyone done a swap, is there a way around it or is it case of you have to get the airbag for the exact model? Ive read on one forum about trimming the lugs off the connector allowing it to push on but not so sure on that would the wiring be the same ? the flat bottom wheel has all the wires in black where as the s line wheel has coloured wires.

thanks in advance for any replies Jeff

Did you manage to get this fitted? I am in the exact same position in the moment ? And am needing help on how to get it done?