b8 s4 s tronic revs hunting advice needed

sammi

Reaction score
we have had our b8 s4 a couple of days and have noticed a couple of niggly things and really want confirmation if this is normal or if its a problem!

I have noticed that when driving the car on light throttle the revs hunt by about 200-300rpm up and down, I have only noticed it at low revs. I have even put the car in cruise to keep a constant speed with my foot off the throttle and it still does it. does it in full auto and in manual mode too. There are no error messages on the car although having had it for a few days I haven't scanned it for faults...

secondly the car is quite jerky going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and then into reverse. doesn't do it all the time but have thought it doesn't feel as smooth as it should.

If anyone has any answers to these quibbles I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Sammi

Don't know about the rev hunting but I have noticed that the 1st to 2nd and back can be pretty jerky sometimes...

I find it jerks when I release the clutch too quick when changing from 1st to 2nd

1st to 2nd is poor change when flooring it, very slow too and that's in D & S. I dont notice it much when not racing about.

The hunting, never noticed that, only noticed the tickover can run at different revs, even when warmed up.

Overall, this 7 speed S-tronic is smoother than the previous 6 speed one I had

we have had our b8 s4 a couple of days and have noticed a couple of niggly things and really want confirmation if this is normal or if its a problem!

I have noticed that when driving the car on light throttle the revs hunt by about 200-300rpm up and down, I have only noticed it at low revs. I have even put the car in cruise to keep a constant speed with my foot off the throttle and it still does it. does it in full auto and in manual mode too. There are no error messages on the car although having had it for a few days I haven't scanned it for faults...

secondly the car is quite jerky going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and then into reverse. doesn't do it all the time but have thought it doesn't feel as smooth as it should.

Thanks

Sammi

Obviously I can't comment on the hunting problem as mines a 3.0 Diesel, but I have a 7 speed S-Tronic box and I don't have any issues with the changes at all, it's extremely smooth regardless of which gears it's changing between. Has yours mapped ?

Reactions: TahirS
1st to 2nd is poor change when flooring it, very slow too and that's in D & S. I dont notice it much when not racing about.

The hunting, never noticed that, only noticed the tickover can run at different revs, even when warmed up.

Overall, this 7 speed S-tronic is smoother than the previous 6 speed one I had

what previous 6 speed did you have ? we also have a b6 s4 cab although the gear change through out the other gears on the b8 are extremely smooth the b6 doesn't have this problem in the low gears. its no way near as snatchy as the b8 ?

i have read that there was a software up date on the gear box has anyone had that done and if so did it make a difference? not sure if ours has but will check with audi in the week. also have read that it may need a gear box oil change around 45k and ours has nearly that on it. again has anyone experienced this ?

just to add our b8 has not been re mapped.

thanks guys

Previous 6-speed was in a Skoda and it was the wet plate version, whilst I did state I felt the newer 7-speed was smoother, I will say the 1st to 2nd gear change was better in the 6-speed when gunning it.

Reactions: sammi
Suggest getting the car scanned and see what fault codes you have.

I may have the same fault you have. I have just posted separately describing my symptoms. Both problems could be caused by faulty speed sensors within the box.

Has your car had new gearbox oil around 40k as required by the schedule?

Thanks for your reply, no our car hasn't had the oil change, it's booked in with the garage we bought the car from on Thursday they have said they will change gear box oils and filters as we realised its a little over due. They are also going to see if it needs any soft ware updates as we have read that there were gear box software updates . They will also scan it for codes. Will keep u posted with how we get on :)

Sammi, any issues with jerkiness in reverse. I.e. have you experienced any issues with simply releasing foot brake without applying throttle causing jerky or shudder engagement of drive power when in reverse gear from standstill.

seems like a split hose somewhere sucking air.

Thanks

Sammi

Sammi, any issues with jerkiness in reverse. I.e. have you experienced any issues with simply releasing foot brake without applying throttle causing jerky or shudder engagement of drive power when in reverse gear from standstill.

It's smooth as anything if u reverse without using the throttle

Last edited:

Thanks

Sammi

Hi Sammi. Is your garage an Audi main dealer, I assume they are.
As others have said the STronic can be jerky at times but not all the time. It seems to be one of it's idiosyncrasies as many owners have reported it so it is not unusual.
The mechantronic has been an issue on the gearboxes in the past, but this may have been improved on the facelift model.
I have a 1 year old gearbox in my 4 year old S4 because of a gearbox oil change that did not go as well as it should. So keep an eye on your gearbox behaviour after the work is done.
Providing you still have just the jerky behaviour as before then all should be ok.
Mine has never done the rev thing, but worth asking your dealer about it or speak to Doug or Stuart at MRC.

Saints400: thanks for your reply, god a new gear box ?what an earth went wrong with the oil change? Were the oils mixed up or something? Sounds an absolute bummer. Cars in garage as we speak, so will have to wait and see how it comes bk tomorrow. I think a lot of it is getting used to the new car it drives very similar to our v8 s4 but in a lot of ways it's totally different! I guess it's just working out what's normal and what's not!

Saints400: thanks for your reply, god a new gear box ?what an earth went wrong with the oil change? Were the oils mixed up or something? Sounds an absolute bummer. Cars in garage as we speak, so will have to wait and see how it comes bk tomorrow. I think a lot of it is getting used to the new car it drives very similar to our v8 s4 but in a lot of ways it's totally different! I guess it's just working out what's normal and what's not!

Sammi, with the oil change, the gearbox needs to be the right temperature & as the oil comes out it has to go in. In my gearbox's case it didn't go as planned. Audi didn't say that, but all was ok until they changed the oil. They were very good & changed 2 x mechantronics & when that didn't work they did the gearbox. Cost them £8500.

Well several days after both gearbox oil and filter changes and a software update the car seems a lot smoother.. It's still slightly jerky around 1st 2nd and reverse but it feels more controlled now not so hit and miss as it did before. The hunting revs are still there but no so obvious. So far so good :)

i had a dealing with a place called transmission transmissions in Birmingham who were really helpful and knew more than the dealers were letting on about their own gearboxes. It would be worth calling them for some advice, a quick google search will bring them up

Reactions: V6 Quatt