B8 S4 rear view mirror housing seized and shattered.

RoyalBoob

Reaction score
Hi all…. Total ballache - my S4’s rear view mirror has shattered. The ball joint which positions the mirror seized and snapped the moulding on the inside - which to be fair is totally brittle anyway.
Since it’s a dimmable mirror and also contains a forward facing sensor (all of which works fine still) I was wondering if anyone knows if Audi will sell the housing as a part? Otherwise it could get expensive. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
Nope it's not available separate.

I may have an autodimming mirror for your car available actually.

What's the part number, it's embossed into the plastics & has letters on the end, pic would be good.

Is this it? - such a bad design. There is no way the ball joint is serviceable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
Do you have high beam assist?

Can I see a pic of the whole mirror itself & housing.

I’ve never read about such a failure. No way mine will cease, if I don’t use the car for a while the mirror actually turns down so I’m looking at the back seats.
Hope NHN can sort you out.

I’ve never read about such a failure. No way mine will cease, if I don’t use the car for a while the mirror actually turns down so I’m looking at the back seats.
Hope NHN can sort you out.
Me too - NHN, can you sort me out - also, does it need to be coded to the car?

1st as per John, never seem that happen in all my years, so that's definitely an anomaly, unfortunate yes, but it's not honestly 1st time ever & I wouldn't say it's a bad design, just maybe it was tightened too much at factory.

I have an autodimming mirror that's not high beam assist, the shell afaik is the same as I've stripped them down for r&d.

The hba mirrors are serious money new, we're talking hundreds, so I'd avoid that.

I'd happily offer this one to purchase as long as you didn't break or damage it & if it doesn't work out then pay the return postage & I'll refund you minus postage fees to post to you.

I have a spare mirror in black that I bought by mistake when I swapped my white headliner to black, it's auto dimming and has some sort of forward facing sensor.
I can dig it out and see if it has a part number e.t.c