B8 running temps?

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Does your b8 tdi run at 90 degrees solidly once warmed up or do you get fluctuations up/down between 70-90?

Roughly how many miles from cold until you reach 90 please?

Bang on 90, no wavering.

Depends on external temp, but 5 mins driving and it's up there.

Oops! Mines petrol, 2.0T

Bang on 90 mine ! Unless its freezing outside and ive been driving fast it will dip abit when slow down

When it gets to 90 it should sit there,
This time of the year diesels take a good time to warm up especially the 3.0 V6 it's a big lump of metal to get hot.
Drove to work last night 9 miles and it wasn't quite on 90 by the time I got to work.It was about 4 degrees outside.
The route is mainly 30-40 mph semi urban so engine not working too hard.
I was a little concerned by the time it took to warm up when I had the car so changed the thermostat but there was nothing wrong with the old one.and it made no difference to the warm up time of the car.
No good looking at what petrols do they put out a lot more waste heat than a diesel, thats why diesels are more efficient.

Karl.

When it gets to 90 it should sit there,
This time of the year diesels take a good time to warm up especially the 3.0 V6 it's a big lump of metal to get hot.
Drove to work last night 9 miles and it wasn't quite on 90 by the time I got to work.It was about 4 degrees outside.
The route is mainly 30-40 mph semi urban so engine not working too hard.
I was a little concerned by the time it took to warm up when I had the car so changed the thermostat but there was nothing wrong with the old one.and it made no difference to the warm up time of the car.
No good looking at what petrols do they put out a lot more waste heat than a diesel, thats why diesels are more efficient.

Karl.

Almost identical with my 3.0 V6 Tdi 245PS... Rock solid but can take ages to warm up in cold temperatures. In the summer I've seen it start warming up in a few hundred yards, must be the block holding more heat than a petrol?

It can all depend on your speed and if you have your blowers on full and at max temp, also the outside temp, I was driving motorway the other day at 2c outside with blower on full tilt and the engine temp dropped from 90 to around 80, turned heater off and pulled off the motorway and it came back up to 90...

Last edited:
It can all depend on your speed and if you have your blowers on full at max temp too also the outside temp I was driving motorway the other day at 2c outside with blower on tilt and the engine temp dropped from 90 to around 80 turned heater off and pulled off the motorway and it came back up to 90...

Mine does the same ! And its a diesel

Looks like mine is faulty then as it hunts between 60+80. I thought it should be sold at 90 once warmed up.

Hi, I have a 2.0tdi S line , this time of year it takes the car about 9 miles to get to 90 once it gets there it usually stays there, with yours hunting 60-80 it is a classic symtom of a faulty thermostat, I had a similar issue with a 2.0 tdi Scirocco so changed the thermostat and it still took an age to get to 90 but was fine and stayed there.
Change the thermostat and it will be fine ,but being a diesel it is always going to take some time to get to the normal operating temp of 90 at this time of the year, like its been said outside temperature, speed and driving style can all effect how quickly it gets there.

It can all depend on your speed and if you have your blowers on full and at max temp, also the outside temp, I was driving motorway the other day at 2c outside with blower on full tilt and the engine temp dropped from 90 to around 80, turned heater off and pulled off the motorway and it came back up to 90...

Wow, I've never actually had mine do this before... Or when I had the 2.0TDi A3. Maybe just never noticed. Lol.