B8 passenger door lock issue

bhodgkiss

Reaction score
Hi all

I have the 'normal' B8 issue of passenger door not opening when using the outer handle after unlocking, but ok after you've pulled the inner handle.

Is it a standard part number for a replacement locking mechanism please, and does anyone have it?

Many thanks

This might sound daft and rather crude.
But using the palm of your hand, smack the outer door handle pretty hard.
I bet you an ice lolly it works

Hi all

I have the 'normal' B8 issue of passenger door not opening when using the outer handle after unlocking, but ok after you've pulled the inner handle.

Is it a standard part number for a replacement locking mechanism please, and does anyone have it?

Many thanks

I only know this because I researched it when my drivers door did the same.
Does it feel when you pull the handle, there is no resistance at all?
Like really loose pulling out with no engagement??
A quick bang and all is well.
That was 3 years ago with no repeat issues. Lol

Tapping it didn’t help, but yes no resistance at all....
Does anyone have the part number for the replacement front left lock please?

Tapping it didn’t help, but yes no resistance at all....
Does anyone have the part number for the replacement front left lock please?

Not a tap as such give it a firm thump.
The mechanism sticks open you see, you are just giving it a slight shock to reset it.
Try a thump locked, then try outer handle, and then a thump unlocked then try the handle.
It's all very technical lol
Sorry I don't have the part number because the above fixed mine so didn't have to go that route

Last edited:
Reactions: philbell
Like Chez says the contacts and motor brushes get dirty and the whole mechanism jams up.

They're pretty simple to take apart, clean, and put back together for a free fix.

TPS sell the mechs for £120 ish + VAT or you can get copies very cheaply on eBay but they aren't always up to spec

There are many iterations of the locking mech but the basic part code for the front is 8J1 837 01 and then 5 (nearside/passenger on RHD) and A, B, C, D, E or F (try and get the latest revision "F" if you buy brand new)

This might sound daft and rather crude.
But using the palm of your hand, smack the outer door handle pretty hard.
I bet you an ice lolly it works

you owe me an ice lolly!

lol!

Reactions: CHEZ
I've got the same issue. My drivers rear door just clicks when unlocking from fob & won't open from outside. I replaced both rear locks last year before mot as it would have failed. I got another lock from supplier as they came with 2 year warranty but 2nd one clicks also.

I have got fault codes but they are in my diag machine which is at work at the moment but i think it had 3 errors & i think 2 of them were earthing issues.

Hi I had the same problems with passenger door lock what worked for me is you need a second person when door is closed pull outer door handle to open and inner door handle too open at the same time

Hi, had exactly the same issue on the drivers door. Stripped the whole assembly as posted on a different forum, cleaned up brushes ect and works like a charm now. Took a little while but didn't cost a penny.

Reactions: jakm15