B8 - Can't wait!!

Luke2.0tdi2010

Reaction score
As the subject states I'm about to take the plunge and shell out for the b8, been wanting one since '07!
Finally got the money together and found one for the right price/mileage, and pick it up on Wednesday!!! I'm like a kid on christmas eve can't wait till Wednesday.
Hopefully the only hassle I should encounter is having to change my name on ASN!!
Just wondering if there's anything I should be looking for on wednesday when I pick it up? It's coming from an audi dealership so comes with a 2yr warranty and all their checks and what not but are there any common things to look out for? This will be my first s-line (previous car/current car is an SE) I'm just wondering how much harder the ride will be, s-line suspension/18" wheels ect(haven't test driven one either!)
Does anyone know if there'll be a usb slot in my new car? Or should I say do they come standard? It's a '60 plate s-line 2.0 tdi 170.
Has it got a chain or belt driven cam?
Anyway no time to stop, gotta get back to watching videos of them on youtube...lol.
Thanks in advance.....
Luke

Last edited:
Reactions: V6 Quatt
Another B7 defector. :) Welcome to the B8 section Luke. I'm sure someone will be along with handy hints soon.

Reactions: Luke2.0tdi2010
Hello scotty, long time no 'post to'..lol!
Yes indeed, defecting with my head held high, very much looking forward to it!
I see you went the whole hog with the S4....nice!
The new one is white which is nice but a slight concern regarding my detailing O.C.D.

Reactions: scotty76
@Luke2.0tdi2006 Welcome to the B8 section Luke. No problem changing your name. Just go into your settings and change away, lol. Look forward to seeing sme pics of the car. Enjoy. :) x

Thanks sandra. Can't wait to get behind the wheel. Wish I was picking it up from Scotland and not Derby, the longer the drive the better as far as I'm concerned!

Thanks sandra. Can't wait to get behind the wheel. Wish I was picking it up from Scotland and not Derby, the longer the drive the better as far as I'm concerned!
That is a shame as we have better roads and fantastic scenery :) x

Congrats on the new car Luke! Check the top right of the glovebox to see if you have AMI... it is a connector and you can attach various cables to it to play various devices - aux, iphone, android, usb.=

When you pick it up... paintwork on the rear of the front wheel arch, terrible place for peeling/chipped paint. The 2012+ facelifts have a stone guard on there.

Thanks for the input guys, only just picked it up today!!!!! Must say I'm over the moon!! Although going from an 06 to a '60 plate getting in the car felt like a 747 cockpit! Lol all the different buttons to get used to! Unfortunately I was expecting a USB slot but seems like I'll need to buy a different cable for USB ? Also I paired my phone via Bluetooth and was able to make and receive calls through speakers in car but my contacts don't seem to have imported, any suggestions?
Other than that, yesterday I was like a kid on Xmas eve. Right now I'm like a kid on Xmas day...lol.....love it! The so called 'handbrake' will take a bit of getting used to, I keep on reversing up to things for no reason lol as I've never had reversing sensors b4. Loving the sunglasses holder, not too keen on electric window switches on an angle like that, anyway I'm sure I'll be back on here soon boring you with my excitement ...lol
Any suggestions on the importing of my phone book via Bluetooth would be greatly appreceiated,
Thanks
Luke

Luke I suspect the contacts will be to do with what stereo/phone prep you have. I only have the basic one and all I can do is pair the phone, make and receive calls. If you have one of the better ones I think you can do more. Someone with more knowledge will be along soon I'm sure.

I have a USB socket in the pocket under the arm rest though I have never used it. I filled an SD card with mp3s and use that for my tunes.

And finally.... we need some pictures. :)

Yeah I guess mine sounds like the same as yours Scotty, 'concert' . It's not a big deal really, like you say I can still make and receive calls so that'll do for the min. Only just got the car home so will 'tinker' about with it in the morning (probably the minute the sun rises) to see if I have a USB slot in the arm rest, if not I'll go down the S.D. card route.
Don't worry there'll be plenty pics to follow once I've got myself some new detailing products, gonna go for the 'werkstat' Acrylic kit rather than the backfire as I've heard good things about it.

Reactions: scotty76 and V6 Quatt
I think it's a setting on your phone rather than the car, mine just loads the phone book after a couple of seconds when it connects

V6 Quatt post: 2292367 said:
Welcome on-board...you'll enjoy.....
Your not wrong, I'm absolutely lovin it! Few 'cons' but certainly many more 'pros'........
Surprised to say it doesn't seem as quick as my b7, both 2.0tdi's (143) but the b8 just seems slightly slower. However it redeems itself in looks!

I had a 2010 with concert and it downloaded contacts fine from my HTC and iphone5 no problem. I would delete all memory in the car, delete the pairing and start again.
SD cards are the future!

Yes, concert and iPhone/blackberry (BB is work phone but they both pair and sync fine)

Phonebook seems to have decided to import all contacts so thanks for input. SD cards certainly are the future particularly when I've only just realised there's an SD card slot on the front of my stereo!!!
Just ordered a hundred quids worth from polished bliss so pics will follow soon!

Don't know if anyone can shed any light on voice commands? I have the voice button on the steering wheel and when pressed it says "speak a command" (or words to that effect) but then says "the phone book is empty" however all my contacts are there on the mmi screen?
I only have a concert and haven't got the silver/chrome twiddly knob down by gear stick (if this even has anything to do with it! )
Thanks
Luke

If you say help it will list the commands. It took me a while to work out what to do.
This video is for the latest MMI which is newer than what I have but gives you an idea.
You have to add contacts yourself by saying the persons name and then the number associated with that name.

Don't know if anyone can shed any light on voice commands? I have the voice button on the steering wheel and when pressed it says "speak a command" (or words to that effect) but then says "the phone book is empty" however all my contacts are there on the mmi screen?
I only have a concert and haven't got the silver/chrome twiddly knob down by gear stick (if this even has anything to do with it! )
Thanks
Luke

Will start with the obvious......did you wait for the prompt (a "pip" sound) before actually saying the command...that can confuse it no end if you start speaking before you hear the pip, and it often misinterprets what you say.

Try saying the command "DIRECTORY" - the phone list should then appear. Some MMI systems you actually have to be in the correct mode first before it will accept a command in relation to that particular mode, if you catch my drift. Mines has Navigation as well, so for example if I say a command in relation to the sat nav, whilst the phone directory, radio or media slots are the current mode, then it doesn't accept it - on one occasion it interpreted the command "OVERVIEW MAP" as a command to call someone on my phone list.....

Another annoying thing which happened to me incidentally (which you alluded to further up), which I only have just managed to solve - is that the MMI imports ALL of your contacts from your phone - like people from Outlook, Yahoo Messenger, Google+ who don't even have a phone number, and they end up cluttering up your directory list. I wiped my profile and re-imported the contacts only for the pesky things to keep reappearing. Until I discovered there is a thing in Android (can't speak for the iPhone/Blackberry people) where you can filter out these other contacts and have phone contacts only - so that one is the fault of your smartphone - not the car.

It looks like it works the same as mine, the phone book is not the contacts list it imports from your phone but one you create.
To get it to voice dial you use the store name command.
Speak the name, say "home" or" wife" then it asks for the number which you speak as well.
When it's all correct this is stored.

Karl.

Last edited:
Welcome to the b8 crew :)

I've been having some issues with the Bluetooth in my b8.

I had it working a few months ago with my iphone 5s, however I had to get a replacement 5s and I can't get this new one to pair with the car at all :(