B8 / B8.5 S4 Insurance Costs

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
With all the new S4's being / waiting to be delivered at the moment thought it might be a good idea to start this thread

So I'll start the ball rolling

I paid £208 for 12 months cover with Aviva for my new S4. Policy is fully comp. protected NCD, £500 excess, garaged, 8000 miles per year, the good lady wife & I to drive, (both the wrong side of 1/2 century (just mind lol)) + the other usual benefits

What you paying or what quotes you getting people's

Reactions: silentbrown and scotty76
£252 fully comp with protected no claims. £250 excess. This is with Allianz. 6k miles. Me and the Mrs. Kept on drive.

Was with Aviva but excess was £1200 and they wouldn't budge.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Good Idea BH.

Brand new S4 insured iwith IAM Surety. 12 months fully comp. 250 excess. Protected NCD. Driveway, 15K miles a year. 44 years old.
£216

Change of registration for personal plate so new documents issued - no charge !

I'm 53, fully comp,protected full no claim, but in SE London, with no garage, so mucho costo. Extra £80 on top of existing annual premium of £300, expecting around £450-£500 come renewal in October.

Im 25 and my B8.5 S4 Avant is only 320 fully comp with Admiral. 8 years NCB, and two non fault accidents. I believe the excess totals 350 for me.

My previous 370z was around 630 or so.

Reactions: StuBill
Chris Knott : £400 for 15K miles incl business use. 2 drivers, 1 at-fault accident. £400 excess., Forum Discount :)

Reactions: scotty76
£300 fully comp, 8k miles, me and missus on the car. £100 excess, 10 years protected NCD and 1 at fault accident. Early 30's.

£260, 13k miles, wife and I, £700 excess with 9ish years protected NCB and 3 points SP30, 32 in rural Aberdeenshire. We also have a corsa 1.3 cdti on the same set up (bar excess) which costs nearly as much but is probably only a 10th of the value... Insurance eh?

Cheapest I could have got was around £300 (£51,250 with £500 XS, 49, 6K, garaged), but I opted to go for a mod-friendly insurer now so that I have less hassle when the time comes, especially since a stage 2 could mean up to a +45% power increase which many insurers won't cover. So I'm paying around £450 (with £300 XS IIRC). In hindsight I should have stated the discounted price of my car instead of the retail price since I also have GAP insurance (vehicle replacement).

Very close to your deal with Aviva but £10 less, probably due to 6k vs your 8k mileage limit. I tried my current insurers Admiral first but they were nearly £100 more than Aviva.
I have to say that when Aviva quoted me I though there must be something wrong for it to be that cheap as I was expecting about £400 but they verified it over the phone no problem.

£450 with Prestige. Mods declared, 9 years NCB, 32 years old, 8k mileage and wife named driver.

'Average' postcode, neither good or bad.
Was coming in very low £300's unmodded. Actually the same price as the mk4 Golf 1.4 I temporarily had!

Cheaper than my last modded ED30.

I was suprised when quoted last week it was in the low £300's

Just done an insurance quote with, ahem, Saga lol & I could have saved a further £12

Still, I know who I'll be getting a quote off first next year ;)

I pay £1000 @ 41
Only 3 years no claims after a 50/50 incident when a Taxi hit me.
Also having a Liverpool postcode doesn't help lol

Reactions: skiptowncat
I must say I'm quite surprised by how high people have their excess set. I have mine as low as possible (compulsory from the provider only). If I'm paying annually for my insurance, which is there to protect all parties in case of an accident, the last thing I want to do it lay out hundreds of pounds to make a claim. I pay my insurance and I want it to cover me with as little mither as possible......that's what I pay my insurance for.

Upping my excess from £100 to £400 only knocks about £50 off my premium so if I have to claim in the next 6 years I'd break even....not that I plan on claimin, but you never know.

By the way, I'm with MoreThan and I must say they are brilliant. Had an at fault a few years back and they dealt with everything for me, zero hassle. My claim didn't effect my premium either, which I was amazed by. Also found them to be the cheapest of the big players for me.

Reactions: scotty76 and xpoweruk
So it's renewal time. Best quote I've seen so far is £176 from Aviva but comes with an £850 excess. Ouch. Min I can reduce the excess to is £650 (£500 compulsory + £150 voluntary). With £650 excess, plus protected NCD plus legal it rises to £243.

Aside from the high excess it's a pretty good quote. Most of the rest are £260+ and my Allianz renewal was £354.

Blimey, Scotty, I'll be happy if I only have to pay double that. Guess that's London for you.

Blimey guys, I pay £265 + £250 excess which includes NCB protection and a guaranteed courtesy car........and thats for a 2015 RS4!

I'm 45 with 9+ years NCB and the wife is 48 and they reduced by £10 when I added her.

I have just paid £40 to see me through till April on my existing policy with Allianz. Works out at just under 380 for the year. I'm 34 with 11yr ncb (protected) and the car is parked on street in BN3.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Renewed with Aviva as was the best price (all things considered) despite the excess being higher than I would like. Excesses in general seemed higher this year than last year. Details:

Aviva

Fully comp + legal cover + protected NCD
Car kept on drive at night.
£650 excess (£500 vehicle + £150 voluntary - £150 is the lowest I could set)
Premium £243

Well, I said I'd be happy if I got away with paying double @scotty76's £243. So I guess I'm very happy indeed.

Fully comp + legal expenses + protected NCB
Car kept on driveway overnight in South East London
£300 excess, me and wife to drive (she never will, she's only on there in case I have a funny turn), 10,00 miles a year.
Premium £369.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and scotty76
Well, I said I'd be happy if I got away with paying double @scotty76's £243. So I guess I'm very happy indeed.

Fully comp + legal expenses + protected NCB
Car kept on driveway overnight in South East London
£300 excess, me and wife to drive (she never will, she's only on there in case I have a funny turn), 10,00 miles a year.
Premium £369.
Nice 1 Jeff. Who's that with ?
Saga was my cheapest quote (only found out after I did the Aviva one) & I KNOW you'll qualify ;) :D

The insurer is Mulsanne, and it was arranged through A&A, which is the trading name of the broker we know on the forum as Prestige.
(Click)

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Just renewed my S4 car insurance (early as it happens) with, ahem, Saga :(

£235.23 for 12 months comprehensive cover with £100 excess, protected NCD, garaged, 7000 miles per year, SWMBO & I to drive + other benefits
http://www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance/your-cover-in-detail.aspx

My current insurer, Aviva wanted £313 on renewal with a £850 excess! :wtf:

Happy enough :thumbs up:

Reactions: jdp1962, Keef and scotty76
Jesus some of these are cheap as F! Aviva usually quote a few hundred plus obligatory body limbs and organs..

I just switched to Adrian Flux on the S6 V10, £400 £250 excess fully comp and business use and 5 yrs no claims. not so bad. 30 years young.

(apologies I just saw it was B8 S4 thread...but ive typed it now)

Reactions: Keef and scotty76
Hey BH, I'm old too :). Do you happen to know if Saga cover modified cars?

Insurance not due until September but you prompted me to have a look @Bristle Hound as I'd heard costs were on the up. Indeed, that seems to be the case, quick search on moneysupermarket yielded a best quote of £305 which is £62 more than last year's renewal. Hmmm. :(

Ok so I don't have an S4 but for my new car, Chris Knott was £170 cheaper than my existing company!!!

So this year's renewal was £288.30 with Aviva. 12k miles, protected NCB, legal cover. Excess still not great at £650 but other quotes were more like £350.

I think insurance tax has just gone up too?

Mine was £320 in 2015, and went up to £490 in 2016.

Only change was an extra year NCB!!