Help Please B8.5 Water Ingress in Boot/Rear Light Area

Shadow1

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post and im no mechanic so go easy. I've got a B8.5 2015 A4 (UK model) and have been having an issue with the screen misting up really badly to the point I have ice on the inside of the screen last winter, which I didn't want to put up with again this year.

Have done a litle research, found out enough to have a go to clear the bulkhead plenum area. There were lots of leaves and rubbish stuck in there that I tried to clear out as best as I could but I could only find one drain plug, is there a second and does anyone have a diagram or image of where it is? I've posted a pic of the one I managed to find.

I'd also recently discovered water in the boot, its in the rear passenger side hatch area that opens up to give access to the rear lights. I though it may be coming from a bad seal on the light housing but research suggests that was limited to an issue for the B8 and not the B8.5. I've taken the light housing off and have attached some pics and would appreaciate if anyone could give an opion on a possible cause.

There's a secong rubber bung(?)/seal lower down but that seems to fit fine (though im not sure what the purpose of it is). The foam that sits under the cabling in that area is mainly dry except in the corner nearest the lights housing. When I pulled the foam up theres another bung/seal in that area, could the water be coming up from underneath?

Apologies for the long post but wanted to give enough info to get some help. Should also probably mention I do not have a panaromic sunroof.

dateposted-public
dateposted-public
dateposted-public
dateposted-public
dateposted-public

Had the same problem in the same spot (rear tailight) even though mines an b8. Anyways far as i can tell its not the outer lamp thats leaking but the inner one (the one on the actual boot, correct me if im wrong).

Yours looks a lot dirtier though, as if it was seeping in a long time

Putting some sealant around it rectified it (even if it looks a bit ****)