1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

B8.5 S4 X-Pipe Exhaust Mod

ross27 Jul 26, 2015

1. ross27

ross27 Registered User

I have owned my B8.5 S4 Avant for around 2 months now, and just got round to doing my first mod.

I bought a Magnaflow X-Pipe off eBay and made a descision to install it myself as opposed to taking it to a garage to do. I have made a couple of catback exhaust before, so didnt think it would be too hard for me to tackle.

I started off by getting the car up on some drive on ramps, and started to size up what i needed to fabricate, before taking the exhaust off the car. The exhaust is 2.25" however i had 2.5" tube and bends left over from a previous job, so i just used this (hence the slightly different OD you can see)

The hardest part of this whole task was disconnecting the exhaust off the car, while lying on your back with around 50mm clearance. The exhaust is extremely heavy, mainly due to the huge silencer boxes.

Spent 5 hours at it last night, then took me 10 mins to put it back on the car today. I didnt even bother test fitting at any point, so i have surprised myself at how well it fits back on the car!!!!

Been for one short drive already and i am happy with it, and the DSG farts are really loud!! Going to take a longer drive cruising at motorway speeds to see if there is any drone. Will also pull the Soundaktor fuse to see how different it is.

I was quoted £60 by a local exhaust place to instal this, but i always rather to DIY thing like this.

Videos to follow :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chop., elpeterol and Bristle Hound like this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Bristle Hound

Bristle Hound Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Really neat work Ross :thumbs up:

Looking foreword to hearing the noise on the vids

4. Sharrison14

Sharrison14 Registered User

Whats the benefit of this mod pal?

5. ross27

ross27 Registered User

Purely for some added sound. I think it sounds great, and you really hear that lovely V6 noise. There is a bit of rasp when giving it some, but not too bad. Cold start wasn't that loud either, so i wont be annoying any neighbours!

There is no drone, but it does get loud when you are cruising at 2.5k rpm. (around 90mph in 7th). Removing the soundaktor fuse reduced this, so it probably going to stay out.

Couldnt get any videos as its been pouring with rain all day, but will get some soon.

All round very happy with it.

Chop. likes this.
  6. ross27

ross27 Registered User

Here is a before and after comparison using launch control.

Some revving with the X-Pipe:

7. Chop.

Chop. Registered User

nice work !

need to get my self a welder, what you using ?

8. ross27

ross27 Registered User

Its just an R-Tech 160Amp DC inverter. Great wee machine and great value for money.

9. chucky1

chucky1 Registered User

Neat job Ross. I have wondered about these. Is there any baffling in the crossover?

10. chucky1

chucky1 Registered User

That's quite a collection of buckets mate!

InvincibleA3 likes this.
  11. Chop.

Chop. Registered User

thanks i'll look it up, had all the gear availabe at my last job but no time to use it now i'v got plenty time and no gear, cant win

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. ross27

ross27 Registered User

There is no baffling in the cross over. I am finding it a wee bit loud when cruising, but its not intrusive. Find my self driving with the paddles in manual more so now.

I have further plans for the cross over back to some new tail pipes, hopefully welding in exhaust valves to allow control of the sound/volume.

14. chucky1

chucky1 Registered User

I imagine the cruising speed noise is just a change in tone and something you would just get used to.

15. Chop.

Chop. Registered User

i had the front silencers cut out last month, sounds like much the same effects from what your describing, cant watch the clips at work, but man now with the paddles is much more fun with a change down at 4000rpm

16. miltybilty

miltybilty Registered User

U still here?

Front silencers near the front of the car?

Sent from my highchair using Tapacar

17. Chop.

Chop. Registered User

Still here

Yeh there’s 3 stages along the length of the system, pair of small baffles at the front just under the front seats, a centre box and then the rear boxes