B8.5 RS4 S-tronic Vs S4 S-tronic

Scott.T

Reaction score
I would be interested to hear opinions from those that have migrated from S4 to RS4 with regard to s-tronic performance both In Auto and Manual mode.
Also if it suffers the same mecatronic and clutch issues that have occurred on the early 2009/2010 S4.

I had a 2010 S4 for a short while and didn't gel 100% with the gearbox (coming from 25 years in a manual). Part of it I loved but the nannying eco gear change in auto and occasional clocking in manual when pulling up at a junction I hated.

I would love to jump into ownership of an RS4 in the coming years but am not sure if I can live with S-tronic. I hoping you will tell me the RS4 system is better than the S4.

I even considered jumping back in years to a B7 RS4 or pre-2012 S4 to get a manual. But then I'm losing some of the styling and tech.

Cheers...

I never owned an S4 but i was in the market for one and tried 4 or 5 before saying sod it and buying an RS4. Trying to stick to the box only (which is hard as the engines connected to it are so different) there is clearly lots different going on. Manual is properly manual for one - it will just sit there on the limiter until you change, the down blips are much more pronounced and really smooth. I found the difference between D and S was much bigger in the RS4 where thr drops are more sensible. Mine is totally snooth under all circumstances other than a manual change from 2nd to 1st when you are doing over 15-20 and not on the brakes.

You need to try one. I think it suits the totally linear power delivery of the RS4 perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: raffshore