B8.5 Avant Towbar Towing Prep - where's the plug??

a4zac

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to get a tow bar for my A4 facelift B8 avant.

Will like to install myself ideally. The car is listed as "towing prepared" in the MyAudi app.

I thought this meant that there was a plug in the boot for the module to plug into. I can't find the plug! I have had the whole right hand side boot panel off whist retrofitting a reversing camera and still couldn't see it!

Anyone know what towing prepared actually is, and where the plug is?

Any other towbar advice?

Thanks!

Towbar prep usually means the module is installed. Look for a westfalia box in the RHS boot cubbyhole.

You should only need the 13-pin harness to go from this to your plug that mounts under the car. Obviously you will also need the tow bar

OliNix
B8.5 S4 Avant - Glacier White

Reactions: a4zac
Towbar prep usually means the module is installed. Look for a westfalia box in the RHS boot cubbyhole.

You should only need the 13-pin harness to go from this to your plug that mounts under the car. Obviously you will also need the tow bar

OliNix

Hi,

There is defo no towbar ECU box that I can see in there.

The wiring kit I have bought comes with the red plug which you splice into the BCM2 CANBUS wires so I guess that'll be my only option. Annoying that enough it's "towing preped" there's no wire!

Thanks

Is this what you're looking for? It was in the right hand side of the boot on mine. Are you supposed to just plug in the loom you got with the towbar and not have to wire anything up?
20200605 113630

This is the correct install. I was mistaken, the prep should have the red plug someone posted above.

You then install the module and the wiring harness, you also need to add a couple of pins into the red plug, but that’s easy!

When it’s all installed you need to code it in via VCDS/Carista/OBDeleven
4d64e35db54182577523a50ccf3f058c.jpg

OliNix

Hi,

There is defo no towbar ECU box that I can see in there.

The wiring kit I have bought comes with the red plug which you splice into the BCM2 CANBUS wires so I guess that'll be my only option. Annoying that enough it's "towing preped" there's no wire!

Thanks
Hi Zac, sorry to being up an old thread. I have an A4 b8.5 black edition and also cannot find the red plug. What was your outcome?
Thanks
Dan