B8.5 Avant center brake light replacement DIY?

redrook

A4 Avant Technik 2.0 TDIe 163ps
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but couldn't find a DIY for an Avant.

I've had an intermittent fault with this light for a while now, and it seems to do it every time now so I think I need to get the unit replaced. The unit itself isn't expensive so I'd like to do it myself, does anyone have a DIY? I think I need to remove the trim around the light from the inside first.

Is the car showing and faults when scanned with VCDS etc? Depending on the cars age you may want to check for a broken wire that runs into the tailgate lid before you buy any new parts.

I'm not sure, I don't have VCDS but it's going in for a service next week so I'll get them to check then.

Sometimes I can give the light/spoiler a few whacks and it works.

As frequently happens it has stopped doing it and the light is working again. It may do this for a few days or weeks, but will probably go off again. Clearly something is up, but not completely broken.

If anyone has a DIY on how to replace the unit if it does turn out to need it, it would be great to see.

To access the third high level brake light, you need to take off the tailgate interior trim. This is on a B8 Passat, but I'll bet Audi is practically the same. Locate the screws first, remove, then slowly pry off the trim a section at a time. If you have trim tools, even better. The clips can be stubborn, just take your time and don't use brute force.

Haven't replaced the high level brake light, but should be plug and play with electrical connector. As mentioned, very possible to be broken wiring, as it enters near hinge. You may need to pry off roof lining at rear slightly to see it.

Reactions: All-rod