B8 3.0 TDI real world MPG?

Djwoody

Reaction score
Hi.
I currently own a 58 reg A3 2.0 TDI 170. Love the car but thinking about moving up to something bigger.
At the moment the DIS says I roughly get 45MPG for mixed driving - fast/slow/urban/motorways.

Very tempted with the B8 3.0 TDI Quattro (240), as it seems to be a good trade off between perfromance and reasonable economy.

What is the real world MPG like compared to my A3 TDI?
Would I still see around 35-40MPG average?

Many thanks
Chris

Think of it like this, the extra power & your foot, enough said :)

DIS over-reads highly, I'm using fuelly to log my MPG on my A6 3.0 TDI.

AVG is 30.2mpg doing 100% motorway and the best has been 34.7mpg.

Might eek a couple more mpg from it from the s-tronic gearbox.

DIS over-reads highly, I'm using fuelly to log my MPG on my A6 3.0 TDI.

AVG is 30.2mpg doing 100% motorway and the best has been 34.7mpg.

Might eek a couple more mpg from it from the s-tronic gearbox.

My DIS seems to be quite accurate to be honest, as I also enter my fill up info into an app called Road Trip Lite and it's not that far out.
I might try out Fuelly and see how I get on with that.

3.0 Tdi -245 does an average of 37.2 according to fuelly log and DIS reads 38.6 so not too big a discrepancy.

Still not bad figures I suppose for the power/torque.
Was also looking at the 2.0T but I've heard that the MPG can be in the 20's, even when on motorways.

Hi.
I currently own a 58 reg A3 2.0 TDI 170. Love the car but thinking about moving up to something bigger.
At the moment the DIS says I roughly get 45MPG for mixed driving - fast/slow/urban/motorways.

Very tempted with the B8 3.0 TDI Quattro (240), as it seems to be a good trade off between perfromance and reasonable economy.

What is the real world MPG like compared to my A3 TDI?
Would I still see around 35-40MPG average?

Many thanks
Chris

Covered 32K miles in mine, have use 'Road trip' app from day one - my overall average is 35mpg.
My journeys have changed drastically over the past year so this has dropped, use to be 37-39mpg with good runs every week.

I wouldn't go by the DIS! it lies.

....if you want an Avant let me know :)

Cheers
Keef

Mine is an S-Tronic 245PS and I'm getting just over 30mpg (you can see below).

I don't do long runs for the most part though, just to and from work and about town. On a longer run I've seen 42+mpg though.

I would echo the above comments also late 30's on average mines an auto an if you really go for it like using tiptronic to go down gears for engine braking plus light foot you might squeeze 45 tops

Mine averages low 30's but most of my driving is local and short trips less than 10 miles or so.My average speed over the last few thousand miles is only 23mph. A good indication of the driving conditions the car sees on a day to day basis.
On runs up the Motorway I have seen over 45mpg when doing 75-80mph . My car is a 2008 manual.
I find the trip computer over reads by 2-3mpg.

Karl.

Mine is a 2009 Avant manual, and over the 13months and 11k miles I've had it according to "Road Trip" app have averaged 31.28mpg. Most of my trips are short runs but on longer runs I get high 30's. As you said it's a good compromise of performance and economy and way better economy than my Impreza was!!

Still not bad figures I suppose for the power/torque.
Was also looking at the 2.0T but I've heard that the MPG can be in the 20's, even when on motorways.

My 2.0Tfsi can get mid 30's if you take it easy round town !

Mixed driving, mostly steady, occasional flooring it for fun and it returns a real 36mpg, worst I seen is 33mpg, best is the 36mpg already mentioned. Previous 170 was about 42mpg without the flooring for fun stuff.

It's not as good as a 170 on fuel, but it's not likely too is it? Two more cyls, one litre more, 75hp more, Quattro drive and many more smiles.......

Exactly - don't mind taking a few more pound notes out of the wallet if you get the smiles.
Still reasonable figures those, I'd be happy with mid 30's for a great car with quattro.