B7 TDI engine questions

Theo

TDI addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have one simple question about PD140 in Audi A4 2006-2008.

I have a friend with a 2007 car, and I have looked at two cars, and everyone have the "old" 2,0 8V PD Engine... Its realy strange to me since most 2,0 TDI golfs are 16V...

Did the B7 ever come with a 16V PD140? Or do I need to look for a PPD170 to get a 16V? (little affraid of the Siemens ECU, thats the reason for wanting a 140HP)

//Theo

i was under the impression that all the 2lt tdi's were 16v and that the older 1.9lt were the 8v unit.

The 2.0 tdi units in the B7s are not PD's mate and yes they are 16v

get one ordered :thumbsup:

Sorry but you dont know what you are talking about.:whistle2:

I have taken those engines apart many many times. I was driving a 2008 two days ago and that one had not crossflow head = 8 valves!

I need to call Audi and ask to get a clear answer then.

//Theo

Ok mate well im not 100% but remember im TRYING to help you whilst your busy being a c*nt, you wont get far in here with an attitude like that!

Calm down everybody. Has it occurred to you all that maybe the range of engines available on A4s sold in Sweden is different from those sold in the UK?

Ha ha, Jeff i didn't even notice he was from sweden but im pretty sure that makes what i said right, still a gobsh*te!

No idea if they are 8v or 16v. But they are PD engines as the CR engines came out with the B8 chassis.

Also when you say your afraid of the siemens ecu in the 170 i am guessing you mean the siemens piezo injectors. If so these are being replaced free of charge by audi at the moment... in the UK... dont know about sweden.

Are they PDs? i thought the engines were BLB or BLE something like that now? you learn something everyday!

Are they PDs? i thought the engines were BLB or BLE something like that now? you learn something everyday!

Thats the engine codes not the type of engine.

The new CR engines are meant to be a lot better on economy etc or so ive read.

CR = common rail tech
PD = pumpe duse

Last edited:
Sorry for my "tough" words, but I just cant understand how you can try to help when you dont know the answer? Read/find out the correct answer and then write else please dont. That is one of the differences between good and bad forums.

Anyway, I dont get a clear answer from Audi ether, they will come back to me.

I want a PD140 16V just to get rid of the problems with Siemens injectors and the much more "hard tuned" ecu.
Plans are DPF delete and a remap. A little later a GTB1756VL or so, good daily driver in my eyes.

/Theo

Well you kinda answered your own question there with the word "try" if you can't even get a proper answer from Audi then I can only "TRY" to help cant I? also I'll have you know that this is an awesome forum, if you don't agree then get your advise elsewhere!

Our engines are 16v, Sweden might get a different version but you have stubbled upon a UK forum to ask your questions.

That'll be all from me.

well my 2006 2.0 tdi 140 b7 is a 16v

how i know this it has 4 Cylinders and theres 4 valves per cylinder

No, do you realy think random guy on audi has this in his head? Ofcourse I will get the correct answer from them if I realy want, just needs to try harder.
The difference is that this is a forum that talks about only this model, then I dont see the point in writing an answer I think is right. Since its so good somenbody should know. Sorry if you got angry, nothing personal, I think it should be like this generaly.

Yes UK forum.. I have asked on other forums also, and it seem to be a "Swedish problem" with 8V PDs, Intresting to get a clear answer from Audi hopefully tomorrow.

//Theo

Well you kinda answered your own question there with the word "try" if you can't even get a proper answer from Audi then I can only "TRY" to help cant I? also I'll have you know that this is an awesome forum, if you don't agree then get your advise elsewhere!

Our engines are 16v, Sweden might get a different version but you have stubbled upon a UK forum to ask your questions.

That'll be all from me.

Ok ill tell you what, argument over as its clearly something we cant help you with here but i would have to say that i fully expect "random guy at Audi" to know weather or not a certain engine is 8 or 16V, after all, they either work on them or sell them all day everyday.

sorry for my ignorance but i thought you were asking how many valves is in the 2.0 tdi 140?

are you finding out off a spercific car or the b7 2.0 tdis in general?

I know that in 2,0 tdi 140 it can be both 8 and 16 valves but I like 16 valves better. The 8 valve is simply(almost) a 1,9tdi PD but with 81mm pistons and a different software.

Atleast in Sweden those 2,0 8V TDI engines were used in late Passat B5s. And to my dissatisfaction they, atleast in sweden seem to use that "old" engine in A4 B7 also! :puke: I'm going to buy a B7 TDI Q but dont like PPD170 because of a few things but it seems like I have to chose that engine anyway.

sorry for my ignorance but i thought you were asking how many valves is in the 2.0 tdi 140?

are you finding out off a spercific car or the b7 2.0 tdis in general?

I feel I need to answer you so you understand me. Ofcourse it should be like that they know this on Audi, but I think you know to that its not the way it works.
A guy that answers the telephone dont give a **** if a car they stop selling 3 years ago had 8 or 16 valeves under the hood on a specific enginetype.

Well well I'm coming a little further in my search, answer tomorrow hopefully.

Ok ill tell you what, argument over as its clearly something we cant help you with here but i would have to say that i fully expect "random guy at Audi" to know weather or not a certain engine is 8 or 16V, after all, they either work on them or sell them all day everyday.

Ok, the 170s are a good engine but they do have their fair share of issues so your probably right to avoid it but thats just my opinion, the 140 16v is what I have and i love it, had it mapped to 185bhp and 385nm of torque and its brilliant so i would definately try to pick one of those up.

Also again it might be different in Sweden but over here the 140s do not have a DPF so that might be 1 less thing for you to worry about when finding a car.