b7 remap

cabbychris

Reaction score
Morning all,ive looked and looked again all with conflicting results,what im wanting to know what would be a safe
bhp remap for my b7 cab its 2.0 140 tdi (pd) its running a new turbo and its had the balance shaft mod otherwise its standard,im wanting a bit more hp but i want more economy and a bit more torque,some say max is 170hp some say190 which surely would be near to the limit,can anyone give me a clear answer.

IIRC the 190 is on the limit ....but 170 seems to be the norm as this will give you better economy also.

The place that did mine state 180 for the 140 engine and 400NM which is around the 295lbft mark.

A 170 remap won't give more economy over a 180 remap map . Those peak figures are available only around 4,000 rpm .

Mine was £300 Chris but I got a handset also so I can take it off and put it back on as and when I like.

And as Gaz has said the 170 won't give anymore economy over a 180 map. But should be better than on the standard map, not by much though but you would see a difference in a full tank as long as you drive it like Miss Daisy

So is there any point in having it remapped,what is the benefit in having it done unless i drive everywhere at warp speed,im more interested in torque and economy than racing from the lights.

Huge reason , driveability .

Increased torque comes in earlier , less gear changes , smoother delivery , even the idle is smoother .

A 3rd gear hill becomes a 4th gear , etc .

Like Eibach is a refinement and further development of springs , BCS an exhaust system and so a remap is the further development and refinement of the standard map .

The increased mid and top end is for safer quicker overtakes .

90% of people having remaps are interested in more performance and hopefully some more economy will come with a map as well.
In my experience you usually don't get very much more economy maybe a few% if you are lucky but the main advantage is that the car is so much better to drive, like swapping a 1.8 for a 2.5.
Depending on how much you spend on the map it would probably take a good while to get your money back. For example a car that does 10K miles a year and does 40 mpg will use 250 gallons in a year.
Assuming you manage to get 44mpg out of it after the map which is a 10% increase that would be 227 gallons in a year.
At the current £1.10 a litre that would save around £115 a year. A 10% increase would be a lot more than I would expect you to get as the manufacturers are quite good at extracting good economy from the cars. Creative tuning from somebody who knows what they are doing can liberate better economy, have a word with Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments in Stockport.

Reactions: SimonSystems
I don't think I worded that properly above....you will see a difference in daily plodding about and motorway runs.

I know I have plenty of power and more than enough torque now and as Gaz has said it is smoother. In fact it's like a new car.....it doesn't give you that big hit in first gear now as it comes in smoother across the range in every gear.

It's running better as I also had the EGR deleted, it doesn't seem to produce as much smoke out of the tail pipes if any now mainly due to it running leaner.....I've got another airport run tomorrow to pick the Mrs up. I averaged 60mpg there doing 75-80 mph as my Mrs hates going fast ☹️ but on the way home on my own it soon dropped down to the 40's once I started to have a little play.

My old Mk1 FRS used to do approx 250 miles on a full tank and had it mapped and that went up to roughly the 300 mile mark. But as with all turbo cars whether petrol or diesel....once the turbo starts to work they will drink fuel regardless. I think it used to average 7mpg on track .

If you have a little 1.4 and you drive it sensibly you will get good mileage but if you go on the motorway it's a waste of time as you have to put your foot down more to do the 70mph especially if your going into a head wind.....yet the same car with a more powerful engine will still turn out decent figures driving sensibly, but once on the motorway it takes a lot less effort to do 70mph so therefore saving fuel.

I'm going to shut up now as I feel like I'm going on and on as I'm typing this on my phone and it probably won't make any sense either as I've had a few beers

Now I've got the oil pump balance shaft/hex key done I'm more remap minded....can't really be doing with the clutch needing replaced after though.

Do the 140 and the 170 use the same clutch? So remapping te 140 to about 180ish shouldn't (in theory) cause too many problems?

iv`e had my balance shaft replaced aswell along with a new turbo this is why im interested in the remap to get more out of the car,which do you have jeebsy 140/170,i know the 170 is ok for about 210 hp im not sure if they use the same clutch tho

I had my car remapped over a year ago now and covered 25+ k without any hesitations regens or no power situations my car is 170 bhp Quattro remapped by Rick at unicorn big thumbs up Rick still pulls like a steam train

iv`e had my balance shaft replaced aswell along with a new turbo this is why im interested in the remap to get more out of the car,which do you have jeebsy 140/170,i know the 170 is ok for about 210 hp im not sure if they use the same clutch tho

It's the 140 so would be going up to about 180

So this post has now caught my attention. So who if any would you recommend in the London area to do a re map?

Mine was £300 Chris but I got a handset also so I can take it off and put it back on as and when I like.

And as Gaz has said the 170 won't give anymore economy over a 180 map. But should be better than on the standard map, not by much though but you would see a difference in a full tank as long as you drive it like Miss Daisy
If you don't mind me asking...

Where did you get yours done Carl? Did you have the dpf delete?

I got mine from a place called www.Remapper.co.uk a sister site of quantum mapping that use alien tech devices like the Kess V2 slave units.

I just had the EGR delete done for now Steve.....my DPF seems to be keeping nice and clean with hardly any build up so I was advised that whilst it's working correctly I wouldn't really benefit from the delete, I also had a think about what the EU are trying to bring in with future MOT's.

Am I happy with it?

b0e377ec521f1e5c937c1c3f8992cd59.jpg

And I can be a right cunny funt with stuff like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got mine from a place called www.Remapper.co.uk a sister site of quantum mapping that use alien tech devices like the Kess V2 slave units.

I just had the EGR delete done for now Steve.....my DPF seems to be keeping nice and clean with hardly any build up so I was advised that whilst it's working correctly I wouldn't really benefit from the delete, I also had a think about what the EU are trying to bring in with future MOT's.

Am I happy with it?

b0e377ec521f1e5c937c1c3f8992cd59.jpg

And I can be a right cunny funt with stuff like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Carl, most places that do remapping that ive spoke to say removing the dpf helps spool time due to lower back pressure and a few say they wont do a remap (on BRD's) without gutting the dpf :astonished:

I assume you've noticed a drop in lag? our engine lag is terrible as standard, this is the main reason I wanted a remap

Thanks Carl, most places that do remapping that ive spoke to say removing the dpf helps spool time due to lower back pressure and a few say they wont do a remap (on BRD's) without gutting the dpf :astonished:

I assume you've noticed a drop in lag? our engine lag is terrible as standard, this is the main reason I wanted a remap

I have noticed a drop in lag Steve and the best thing is that the awfully slow fly by wire accelerator has also been sped up a little.....in fact you could say it's as good as being a direct cable now.

As for the DPF, I was talking to one of the local tuners about getting it done along with a map and he was happy to do it for the extra work but asked if I had any problems with it blah blah blah.....did a scan and came in as working normally, not blocked up etc.

And he said that whilst they are working there is no need to get them gutted as they are quite free flowing, which brings me onto a scenario of one of my old cars.

Not so many moons ago.....but it does feel like a lifetime, but when I had my Mk1 FRS I had it mapped and eventually went the decat route on it which totally transformed the car by 80lbft IIRC just from adding a Primary Designs Decat. But when it was MOT time it was beginning to become a burden having to keep swapping them over as the undertray used to be a right PITA.

Eventually PD brought out a 200 cell cat that worked like a charm with the emissions but most of all kept the car breathing freely, if truth be known it actually drove better with the 200 cell cat on than with the decat.

But all turbo cars as far as I am aware need a little bit of back pressure to keep them healthy.

Anyway back to the BRD....their site shows that you can have one of three maps.

Quantum Green™ – Good Power & Maximum Economy

• Designed to return an improved economy in turbo diesel engines.
  • By re-characterising the torque limits on the engine, at lower rpm’s you will benefit from additional performance and improved economy.
  • At higher rpm’s the software will encourage shifting up through the gearbox, to keep the engine running in its optimal window.
  • QuantumGreen™ is a very popular choice with large fleet owners, where the extra mpg improvement counts on the bottom line profit.

Quantum-Green-467x112.jpg

Quantum Blue™ – Hybrid & Power/Eco

• The most popular remap choice, offering the best mix of power and economy in virtually all turbo diesel engines.
  • Designed to de-restrict the engine and open up the true torque and power range.
  • QuantumBlue™ offers a better driving experience while returning an improved fuel consumption figure.
  • Parameters are carefully managed to optimise best burn times and achieve optimum in-cylinder pressures.

Quantum-Blue-467x115.jpg

Quantum Red™ – High Power & Ultimate Performance

• Designed to fully unleash the full potential of your engine.
  • QuantumRed™ can be installed on both petrol and diesel vehicles.
  • Ideally used in situations where the extra power and torque is required for example moving extra heavy loads, running optimised acceleration, experiencing a wider torque window, or simply to enjoy your vehicle.

Quantum-Red-467x115.jpg

I just went for the BLUE....the best of both worlds.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
If it's for the maps I have posted Ian CLICK HERE as it's the same company, but you want the latest ReMapper Hand Unit. Even though they are basically the same the ReMapper is a faster handset apparently.