B7 possible quattro conversion

AvantAlexB7

Reaction score
As the title says really, im possibly considering converting my 2.0tfsi fwd to quattro.
"Why don't i just buy a quattro variant?" you may ask?

Firstly of all is cost. I obtained my bus last year for a very good price from a buddy of mine. Simply replacing my current b7 with a quattro variant of the same mileage, spec and condition isn't possible without spending twice what i paid for mine.

Secondly, i have also investested a lot of money and time retrofitting rather alot of oem extras into my car (some of which are rare options) so having to swap them on to a replacement vehicle would be a pain.

Lastly, swapping my avant for a lesser car just seams a bit mad in my opinion. I have a good, strong, reliable engine, solid body work and mechanicals so possible having to spend further money rectifying problems that could occur on a replacement vehicle is not ideal. Besides im kind of attached to my bus! Lol!

So, with that out of the way, onto the original point of a quattro conversion!

My plan would be to hunt down a crash damaged donor vehicle in 2.0tfsi spec ofcourse. Doing this gives me access to a full parts bin of everything i will need to complete the conversion. This just seems a more economical way of doing the job instead of buying parts separately. Also any other parts of the car i can make use of or sell for a small profit will be an added bonus. I would have no intentions of breaking the donor vehicle as i dont have to time nor space despite being able to make my money back quite easily.

I suppose the main question is to the ones that have done the conversion. Is it as simple as swapping the parts from one car to another? I am 99% sure the shell is the same between quattro and fwd variants.

I would also need to re register the car and have the log book changed which im not sure about doing.

Cheers Alex

Reactions: AvantMike
I would also need to re register the car and have the log book changed which im not sure about doing.
If you keep the original engine then no need to notify the DVLA. I'm assuming the rear suspension is different.

Keep the original registration number
Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Surely you'd need to tell them so the V5 is updated and the vehicle is noted as Quattro. Someone might get a surprise putting it on a 2WD brake tester come MOT time otherwise...

Insurance would obviously want to know as well and might be funny about it.

Surely you'd need to tell them so the V5 is updated and the vehicle is noted as Quattro. Someone might get a surprise putting it on a 2WD brake tester come MOT time otherwise...

Insurance would obviously want to know as well and might be funny about it.

I expected to have to notify the DVLA as the road tax ect is all different between the two variants.

I ofcourse would want the car being registered genuinely to avoid any future issues. As for the insurance thats a no brainer too.

If you keep the original engine then no need to notify the DVLA. I'm assuming the rear suspension is different.

Keep the original registration number
Your vehicle must have 8 or more points from the table below if you want to keep the original registration number. 5 of these points must come from having the original or new and unmodified chassis, monocoque bodyshell or frame.

Part Points
Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Is that quoted from the dvla website?
Judging by that 8 "points" would be covered, 5 for shell, 1 for engine and 2 for steering.

There is a lot to change Alex, I could give you a list but you may not want to see it.

May be better to change to a full Quattro rather than get into a task like this.

Reactions: Sidrick
Is that quoted from the dvla website?
Judging by that 8 "points" would be covered, 5 for shell, 1 for engine and 2 for steering.
Yep. Worth keeping the 8 points so you don't get a Q plate, if possible. That said, people swap chassis on Land Rovers (Disco 2 & Defender) all the time without notifying them and that's a Q plate straight away.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

Unless you have something really special I can't see it being easier to swap drivetrain than to swap the other retrofits you've done.

Reactions: PatS9
Exhaust, downpipe, propshaft, rear axle, gearbox, bellhousing , front subframe, suspension , ESP , traction control and other bits, probably other small bits too.

Very possible.

I have converted 2 B6 A4’s from FWD to quattro, the B7 is exactly the same process.

I am going to be converting my FWD B7 Avant to quattro. It’s a painless process, and all the quattro models I’ve broken in the past 2 years, I have retained all the running gear. So I currently have 3 full kits available.

Im aware of all the parts that need swapping, hense why i would use a breaker so every nut, bolt, clip and washer is available to me. Being handy with the spanners it seems a doable plan.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Very possible.

I have converted 2 B6 A4’s from FWD to quattro, the B7 is exactly the same process.

I am going to be converting my FWD B7 Avant to quattro. It’s a painless process, and all the quattro models I’ve broken in the past 2 years, I have retained all the running gear. So I currently have 3 full kits available.

In reality how did you find the job? Ive heard of them being done in around 15hr start to finish, using a ramp however.

do you have access to a ramp Alex, may make life a lot easier.

would you agree with the parts that need swapping.

Transmission (01A / 01E / 02X).
Propshaft.
Rear subframe.
Rear differential.
Rear driveshafts.
Fuel tank.
Propshaft centre bearing support (transfered from incorrect location to correct location).

Additional wiring for correct fuel reading on gauge - FWD models use a single sender, quattro models use 2.
Coding for instrument cluster,so it uses both senders to calculate fuel level and distance to empty.

Is'nt the front subframe different aswell, exhaust are different between 2wd and quattro

Front subframe will depend on the transmission being used.

01E

Subframe from B6 A4 3.0 quattro 6MT, pre-2003.
Subframe from B6 A4 3.0 quattro Tip, 2001- 2005.
Subframe from B5 S4, 1998 - 2001.
Subframe from B5 A4 2.8 quattro 5MT.

02X

Subframe from B6 A4 3.0 quattro 6MT, post-2003.

Transmission (01A / 01E / 02X).
Propshaft.
Rear subframe.
Rear differential.
Rear driveshafts.
Fuel tank.
Propshaft centre bearing support (transfered from incorrect location to correct location).

Additional wiring for correct fuel reading on gauge - FWD models use a single sender, quattro models use 2.
Coding for instrument cluster,so it uses both senders to calculate fuel level and distance to empty.

Have you got any pics with the relocated center bearing support? doing this right now and we thought about bolting the propshaft up, seeing where the support touches the frame and bolting it with screws from inside the cabin to avoid welding.

Have you got any pics with the relocated center bearing support? doing this right now and we thought about bolting the propshaft up, seeing where the support touches the frame and bolting it with screws from inside the cabin to avoid welding.

I don’t have any pictures, though it’s pretty easy to see what needs to be done.

I would not bolt the centre bearing directly to the floorpan / tunnel. There’s no reinforcement, and constant torque will split the steel.

I considered doing this to that car for mostly the same reasons Alex but decided against it based on it never likely happening. That is a lovely car and it would be hard to find a quattro in comparable condition for sensible money particularly an Avant in Missano red. Having said that the difference in how the 2wd and quattro cars drive is night and Day and the same goes for the economy!

Dispute with management :glee:

The difference in fuel consumption between FWD and quattro is small enough to be negligible. Call it trace!

I considered doing this to that car for mostly the same reasons Alex but decided against it based on it never likely happening. That is a lovely car and it would be hard to find a quattro in comparable condition for sensible money particularly an Avant in Missano red. Having said that the difference in how the 2wd and quattro cars drive is night and Day and the same goes for the economy!

Dispute with management :glee:

The closest "replacement" car to mine i found on auto trader. Apart from factory fit nav and piano black interior trim, the mileage, colour, condition was identical. But the ticket price was just shy of 6k. This is why a conversion would be a more economically viable option aswell as keeping Big Red! Lol

You know me, im always in dispute!

I’m all for the conversion.

Do it!

Reactions: grainqey and AvantAlexB7
Did it happen? I'm thinking about it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No not yet, and most likely will not happen, not due to the job itself more a case of having time to do it. Ive also come to the decision that quattro isn't the be all and end all solution. Although a very good system, for my needs is just an extra weight and drag carrying it around if you get my drift.

In terms of performance, theres enough 300+ hp, fwd cars out there that do well enough interms of grip.

If its "your bag baby" then go for it

Alex

Reactions: Chrismawa and Ricky Burrows
No not yet, and most likely will not happen, not due to the job itself more a case of having time to do it. Ive also come to the decision that quattro isn't the be all and end all solution. Although a very good system, for my needs is just an extra weight and drag carrying it around if you get my drift.

In terms of performance, theres enough 300+ hp, fwd cars out there that do well enough interms of grip.

If its "your bag baby" then go for it

Alex
Ive always preferred fwd handling, 4wd is good when you fancy a bit of fun in the mud or snow and the occasional launch but a well set up fwd is hard to beat round corners i would say you need a good lsd though.

I'm biased as per normal so Quattro is the better option, well for me that is .
a lot of my drives are hilly, tight twisty country lanes with tree canopy cover.
When the roads are damp they stay damp for quite some time so all wheel drive does give one that added sure footed handling , many a time I have had a somewhat exciting moment on them in a 2wd car , quattro is so much better, still its that " personal choice " again....:yes:

I'm biased as per normal so Quattro is the better option, well for me that is .
a lot of my drives are hilly, tight twisty country lanes with tree canopy cover.
When the roads are damp they stay damp for quite some time so all wheel drive does give one that added sure footed handling , many a time I have had a somewhat exciting moment on them in a 2wd car , quattro is so much better, still its that " personal choice " again....:yes:
Totally agree with the damp fwd is shocking and a tad unpredictable but on a dry day fwd seems to have a much better turn in and feels lighter and more nimble (on private roads of course) (i am not talking about the beautiful roads wales has to offer on my doorstep lol), i choose fwd for that reason but like you said its all personal preference i really love certain things about 4wd, rwd & fwd i used to love watching the btcc the rwd’s always launched better but fwd always owned them in the corners, probably why the massively popular golf r is more or less fwd until it starts to lose grip then the rears kick in but on the flip side it wouldn’t be capable of just over 3 second 0-60’s when tuned if it wasn't for all 4 wheels lighting up.

Swings and roundabouts i say

Reactions: Sam1989
Yep i agree with your opinion Rob with your situation and the same goes to muddy and snow conditions.

For me personally, 4wd just isn't necessary. It it would be handy for pulling the skis up the slippy slip way but again its not a big deal. I don't suffer with poor road conditions where i live.

Its horses for courses really if i were in the market to buy another b7 or Audi, then i would perhaps buy a quattro, but converting one would be abit pointless.

The other reason I allways opt for all AWD is that I need to pull a small Ifor willaim 4 wheel plant trailer with compact tractors etc loaded so 2wd is never going to be ideal.
Would be nice if the quattro had a low ratio box aswell like my Subaru legacy did but i'll manage with just AWD for now..:yes:

Reactions: Sam1989
The other reason I allways opt for all AWD is that I need to pull a small Ifor willaim 4 wheel plant trailer with compact tractors etc loaded so 2wd is never going to be ideal.
Would be nice if the quattro had a low ratio box aswell like my Subaru legacy did but i'll manage with just AWD for now..:yes:

Tractors? Now were talking!

Yep, cant beat a bit of tractor stuff...
I've got 2 , both 25hp , one AWD and the other 2wd only smallish but they are work horses, and seriously fun.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Very possible.

Hi, any chance you could dm with whats needed and how long it takes for a professional mechanic to do this

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi, any chance you could dm with whats needed and how long it takes for a professional mechanic to do this

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Unless you are doing it yourself then just sell your 2wd and buy a quattro otherwise just not worth it on labour cost alone.

Very possible.

Do you still have any of the kits?

Sent from my RMX2170 using Tapatalk

This project is crazy man, very unique! I am particularly excited about the Quattro conversion. Could you document it in great detail, along with the prices and the parts needed? Right now I don't have any car, but I plan to buy either the Seat Exeo or Skoda Superb B5, and I day dream about giving either of them real AWD. Also a question for Rob... Why the site keeps telling me to **** off when I try to make an account? Right now I am using the google account, but I'd prefer my yahoo one.
Upload 2021 3 1 20 14 13

Alex, if you're still considering this then a tidy quattro with engine failure has come up in the classifieds...an avant though so not sure if this suitable?

Reactions: Mothy69